Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes i understand your point of view as i said things works quite different in here than in there USA.... And i said as consumer in Finland i do not need to put anything extra to the paint nor the protection of it.

Then why does the BMW, Skoda, Porcshe paint etc withstand normal use? Sorry to take this point.

I am 100% tesla guy ( also a tuber for tesla m3 in finland ) but i can't withstand this way how they threat customers.
I'll say it again.....environmental regulations. Last time I checked the EPA doesn't pass laws in Europe. Until Tesla makes vehicles in a location without these types of restrictions you can expect softer paint.
If you decide not to PPF your car that is your decision.

I'll say it again.....environmental regulations. Last time I checked the EPA doesn't pass laws in Europe. Until Tesla makes vehicles in a location without these types of restrictions you can expect softer paint.
If you decide not to PPF your car that is your decision.

Then come to second question that why does the X & S works also in here? We have never any this kind of happening to S & X.

Different way to paint or paint is different? Yes i got the point of ppf but like i said the car what i bought is not to been kept in a closet i drive it Helsinki - Vantaa area and in finland we call it "normal daily use" and car paint needs to withstand it whatever the paint is.. ; - )

Reactions: Scott7
Then come to second question that why does the X & S works also in here? We have never any this kind of happening to S & X.

Different way to paint or paint is different? Yes i got the point of ppf but like i said the car what i bought is not to been kept in a closet i drive it Helsinki - Vantaa area and in finland we call it "normal daily use" and car paint needs to withstand it whatever the paint is.. ; - )
I give up....Tesla owes you money I guess....

OMG I thought I was the 'only' one! This x 10! My paint on the rockers is absolute crap, and you can see the poor paint job even in the door jambs.

Definitely you are not alone.

I have atleast 10 friend in Finland with m3 with km from 1700 to 4500 km where the paint is gone from different side of the car.

They have to fix it. It is defect. This can't be quality of Tesla products.

When I thought mine was a one off, I made these posts. Now I'm thinking I need to call Tesla and have them fix my paint.

Rockers look sandblasted

Well you better call every other manufacturer as well then. Because It's a common problem across the board with vehicles. Tesla doesn't have to fix road abrasion. Let us know how well those calls go.... LOL

Other vehicle manufacturers complaints also.
Poor paint quality/rock chips? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

I complained to Chrysler, Ford, Jeep. All my vehicles experienced this. Including my Model S.

Could the two of the loudest dissidents tone down the fanboyism just a bit? This is a real issue and it needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.

If due to CA EPA regulations Tesla needs to use paint that is unsuitable to all the territories where they sell the car, they need to provide alternative ways to protect the surface. For example by installing PPF to the affected areas, adding mudflaps from the factory, etc.

On my first red P3D I had this exact same issue, although at the time I thought that it was just salt that had accrued to the same locations to where people here are showing the paint being blasted off. I ended up returning that car within the period where I could do that, not because of the paint issues, or the build quality issues that were left on the car when I got it, but mainly because how Tesla just after delivery restructured their pricing model. I ended up saving 14k€ by doing this and in the end get pretty much 99.5% the driving experience that I'd get with the first car.

In Finland, and in other EU countries, we have a very strong governmental agencies protecting the rights of the consumers. This is what the previous poster referred to as "this doesn't work in Finland". You just had to read it to mean "we are above you" way. Perhaps some quiet time is on the cards for you to reflect on your knee-jerk responses to other people, who potentially are not fluent in _your_ native language and cannot understand the undertones that you, upon reading, are inserting to the comment.

Yes i understand your point of view as i said things works quite different in here than in there USA.... And i said as consumer in Finland i do not need to put anything extra to the paint nor the protection of it.

Can you share the wording of the law/regulation that says Tesla has to prevent paint damage from road debris? How far does it go? Do they have to prevent rock chips on the hood? Does it extend to the windshield?

Can you share the wording of the law/regulation that says Tesla has to prevent paint damage from road debris? How far does it go? Do they have to prevent rock chips on the hood? Does it extend to the windshield?

See this is where we differ quite a bit. Having done contacts with US and EU companies, on the US everything and all edge cases need to be mentioned and agreed. Here in the old world we tend to have a bit less of a "**** you" attitude and can have expectations on what a product, a car in this instance, needs to withstand before starting to show signs of wear and tear.

It is a very reasonable assumption from the consumer that if they purchase a new car that is sold in their locale, that that car can withstand the climate to an expected degree that has been set up by precedence. In my eyes, and it would seem that in quite a few other northern customers eyes, paint being sandblasted off a car within the first weeks to months of ownership does not stand to be within that set precedence and will need to be corrected by the manufacturer or the customer needs to be reimbursed. Ultimately if a compromise can't be found, the customer is free to return the product and get a refund.

I personally will forward the bills for mud flaps and sill PPF directly to Tesla and if they refuse to pay, I'll contact the local customer advocacy government agency. At that point it is out of my hands.

With nothing. It just painted. Car should withstand normal use in tarmac.

Our roads are full of salt, dirt, rocks etc on winter time. We have a lot dirt roads also in Finland. Not all are in tarmac. How should we know that the paint won't withstand normal use? One our friend drove 12 km of dirt road to summer cottage and car was damaged.

This has to be fixed by tesla under warranty or they will have a lot of problems facing in Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Check my video and debris is over 25 cm heigh of the car.

This video is from California.. It is not looking so good.

what is up with the holes in the front tire sidewalls?
those tires are trash.

See this is where we differ quite a bit. Having done contacts with US and EU companies, on the US everything and all edge cases need to be mentioned and agreed. Here in the old world we tend to have a bit less of a "**** you" attitude and can have expectations on what a product, a car in this instance, needs to withstand before starting to show signs of wear and tear.

It is a very reasonable assumption from the consumer that if they purchase a new car that is sold in their locale, that that car can withstand the climate to an expected degree that has been set up by precedence. In my eyes, and it would seem that in quite a few other northern customers eyes, paint being sandblasted off a car within the first weeks to months of ownership does not stand to be within that set precedence and will need to be corrected by the manufacturer or the customer needs to be reimbursed. Ultimately if a compromise can't be found, the customer is free to return the product and get a refund.

I personally will forward the bills for mud flaps and sill PPF directly to Tesla and if they refuse to pay, I'll contact the local customer advocacy government agency. At that point it is out of my hands.

The O.P. stated he already had 4000 Miles. So thats on average equivalents to 4 months of driving.Maybe he was to live down a dirt road..... Tesla doesn't monitor where you drive your car, Not to mention the winter tires in the photo. It was driven 4000 miles in snow and salt.... Anyways... Good luck with the claims. No way in hell will any of you get your vehicles repainted. It's not just the rocker. The entire side would need to be painted in order to match the paint and not look like a.$$ GOOD LUCK WITH THAT

Last edited: