Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance 0-60 time of 2.998 achieved by DragTimes with V2019.36.2.1 (1 ft rollout)

SD_Engnr

Mar 24, 2016
San Diego
Yes, everyone uses roll-out. That is the standard method and the only way you can compare apples to apples with other cars.

I should update this to say the time is actually 2.998s. Still super impressive.

Magazines, and drag racers use roll-out. But for the everyday person, 0-60 does not occur with timing lights on a drag strip, so it's much more useful to have actual 0-60 times.

But I will still brag that I have a sub 3 second car... ;)

ZOMGVTEK

May 19, 2015
'Merica
I'm not convinced its reasonable to go around telling everyone it does 0-60 in 2.9 when it was just the one test, with roll out, and it was under 3 by 0.002 seconds...

But yeah, presumably if someone wants to beat on the car to heat the pack, and charge it to 100% right at a track, it could beat that time by a bit.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
At one point, the M5 was faster than the Model 3 P on paper at 3.1 0-60.

In the real world, that M5 wouldn't do *sugar* at a red light next to 3P. The perfect launch needed to achieve 3.1 isn't going to happen.

The 3.2 second Model 3 P "smokes" it every time at the light.

Despite never personally achieving it, an M5 owner will say they have a 3.1 0-60 second car.

So yes, we can claim a Model 3 P is sub 3 seconds due to the agreed standard with respect to rollout. :)

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Seems the right time to remind everyone Tesla extra-cheats in their advertised times....

All P models of their cars list 0-60 with rollout.

Non-P models don't.

Anyway it's looking like the rollout #s post-latest-power-bump are about 3.0 (with one guy having managed a 2.998) for the P and 3.9 (at least one guy having hit 3.86) for the AWD.... which is pretty consistent gap-wise with the 3.1 and 4.0 car mags were getting with each previous to this update and using rollout.

I know this is a M3 performance thread, but have any numbers been posted for the AWD improvements ?

~3.9 0-60 (3.86 is the best draggy result I've seen).... 1/4 mile around [email protected]

Apprunner

Jul 2, 2019
So-cal

In the real world, that M5 wouldn't do *sugar* at a red light next to 3P. The perfect launch needed to achieve 3.1 isn't going to happen.

Despite never personally achieving it, an M5 owner will say they have a 3.1 0-60 second car.

So yes, we can claim a Model 3 P is sub 3 seconds due to the agreed standard with respect to rollout. :)

For ICE cars, the 0-60 is much harder to achieve the magazine times. Those mags beat the crap out of the car and do like 20 launches to get the best times. The Model 3 is extremely consistent and will do the advertised times easily with a high SoC. The 0-60 in a Tesla is more real than all the other 0-60 times.

Daniel in SD

Jan 25, 2018
San Diego

Sadly the BMW M5 is only available with an automatic transmission and AWD so getting a good launch is easy. BMW advertises it as 0-60 3.1s because they don't use rollout. Magazines get 2.8s with rollout so I'm guessing BMW owners say they can do 2.8s :p

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Sadly the BMW M5 is only available with an automatic transmission and AWD so getting a good launch is easy. BMW advertises it as 0-60 3.1s because they don't use rollout. Magazines get 2.8s with rollout so I'm guessing BMW owners say they can do 2.8s :p

This is also why folks always insist "BMW under-rate their cars"

No, they don't... they just don't use the exact same method of measurement Ford/GM and US car mags do.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC