Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance - 1 month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a quick update after owning the car for a month. TLDR: It's awesome and I love the car even more than when I first got it.

Performance: The instant acceleration is still addicting. The car simply goes, at any speed. I had to turn on the speeding chime because I found myself accidentally speeding all the time. It's just too easy and fun to reach 60+. The upside is that with the speeding chime, I find myself driving around the speed limit far more than I did with my Honda Fit, especially on surface streets.

Charging: Finally got the wall charger installed this morning. If you're in the Seattle region and haven't done this yet and have a Tesla on order, you should schedule charging installation ASAP. All the places around here took multiple weeks to provide quotes, and scheduling was usually a month+ out. Before I got the wall charger, I was trickle charging at home at 3 mph, and sometimes driving to work to use their free Chargepoint station. Trickle charging just about covered by daily commute of 30 miles, but nothing more. Which kind of matters because I do more random driving in my 3.

Repairs: I took the car in for some minor issues earlier this week, mainly interior trim, loose rubber trim around the hood, and a rattling sound. The technician said it was actually wind noise, although after driving it, I think the trim fixes may have dampened some of the rattling. I'm pretty happy with it now.

P85D comparison: I got a P85D loaner. The acceleration felt roughly the same as my 3 (didn't bother to time it), but the P85D feels like a mammoth car despite being only slightly larger in physical dimensions. I'm not quite sure why this is, whether it's a psychological effect due to the interior differences, or if there's an actual handling difference. The P85D's interior was quite busy and I felt a bit like I was in a tomb due to its long hood. The 3 has excellent front visibility in comparison. I really disliked the P85D's interior door handles and center console. The P85D had 21" wheels, and there was noticeably more road noise and bumpiness compared to my 3's 18" aeros. Neither are as bad as my Honda Fit's road noise, however.

I originally considered getting a CPO P85D, but I'm glad I went with the 3. The only thing I would've liked more in the P85D is the cargo space, but I'm keeping my Honda Fit for that (they have roughly the same cargo capacity).

A minor thing about the loaner process, it's nice not having to fill up the gas tank before returning it.

Downsides: Driving anywhere takes 20-50% longer than it does with my Honda. I take lots of random detours and go on highways just to hit the onramps. Parking also takes longer, since I now try to find the safest parking spot in any given parking lot.

I’ve had mine for a little over a week and love it. I went P- and was a little disappointed when they said track mode on PUO package only. I quickly got over that since I have never intended to go to the track and will gladly keep my $5k for now. The car is awesome, let autopilot do the mundane driving and I do the fun driving when I want. I have noticed I speed more unintentionally. Hit the accelerator to pass and next thing you know you’ve doubled your speed and thats without completely flooring it. I’ve yet to take someone for a ride and not completely blown them away. I may try your speed chime trick.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
I had the same experience of getting an S loaner for a few days and could not wait to get my 3 back.

I can see why they’ve had appeal, but the 3 interior knocks it out of the park with simplicity. Once you’ve lived with that for awhile, all other cars look like pre-iPhone smart phones.

But I super-appreciate everyone who bought in to S and X to get us to the 3. You’ve made my world better.

i do envy the front visibility in the 3 vs that of an S. I think when the S was originally designed, they had ideas for an engine so the hood kind of accounts for that.

The original S prototype was built from a Mercedes E-Class chassis. They wanted to make it look somewhat familiar and not too outrageous.
On the plus side for Model S people, you get a much larger frunk than the baby frunk in the 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: xpitxbullx
Sure. I came from a P85D. The P3D+ is awesome in every way except for rear cargo space. It drivers smooth on the freeway yet very agile. Not sure what else to tell you, it's worth it if you like the performance. Does it get old? Nope.

Any other P3D+ owners wanna share their experience? I’d like to here.

Does the acceleration ever get old for you guys? Or do you eventually get use to it?

Reactions: km100
I've been borrowing my friends P3D+ and its effing amazing. One thing I notice is that it goes so fast that you almost don't even realize it or in other words you're not really registering what just happened and next thing you know, you're 20 MPH ahead of the speed limit and you're like "Oh sh*t!". So it goes from "omg!! this is so awesome" to "i better slow TF down" in a matter of 3 seconds. It's amazing in every way possible but I wish I could savor it longer before fear kicks in of me getting chased by the cops.

Anyone else feel this way?!

I've had my P3D almost exactly 2 months now, about 2950 miles. Does the acceleration get old? Nope. I still go on ridiculous driving routes just to drive the car and accelerate onto the freeway. The only thing is that traffic is pretty bad around here, so opportunities to safely floor it are pretty rare.

But the part that I enjoy even more is just the quietness and smoothness of regular driving. It took me an hour to drive home from work earlier, and the serene interior made sitting in terrible traffic and waiting at stoplights much more bearable.

Reactions: LoL Rick and bradhs
Need... more... acceleration...
After 1 month of ownership, I'm starting to feel that P3D could use a bit more power, especially at speed > 60 MPH.
I actually discovered that almost immediately when I first got the car. The power does noticeably drop off above 60 mph. But realistically for me, 75-80 is about the upper end of how I drive, and there's still quite an abundance of power for passing at 90 mph.

A part of me does desire the Roadster, however...

I have rwd and while the acceleration rate definitely drops after 60 mph, objectively it’s still ridiculously fast. I can only imagine a P3D.

I literally have a risk of going to jail because of that car. It’s very rare that I take that risk, but pre Model 3 that hasn’t been a risk since I was 17, and was still less so then compared to now.

On 55mph two lane highways, it’s so hard to resist passing everyone. Today I passed two cars that were doing about 64 in a the 55. I hit 100 blowing around them. It was a pretty safe pass in passing lane with good visibility and I was past them very quickly, but it was totally unnecessary. Just wanted to because I could. I have not done that often at all but it only takes getting caught once and it won’t be pretty.

Reactions: Big1matt
But the part that I enjoy even more is just the quietness and smoothness of regular driving. It took me an hour to drive home from work earlier, and the serene interior made sitting in terrible traffic and waiting at stoplights much more bearable.

Interesting. This is my one complaint about the model 3 compared to my model S - it's louder and not as smooth or relaxing.

I love the p3d+ so much. i went to a nissan ev car survey today to give my opinion and i couldn't stop chuckling because all the other car makers are so lost regarding evs. tesla feels so far ahead that it felt silly to even compare.

the acceleration is so fast that i cant use it with anyone in the car who isnt a good guy friend. any girls or guests, it makes their body tingle and they feel sick. i actually feel a burst of speed above 60 mph. the pull feels strong all the way to 100. it doesnt get old, but everything slower than it feels even slower than it did before.

autopilot is SO DAMN wonderful in los angeles traffic. if the software gets any better with verson 9 and beyond, it's just icing on the cake.

im constantly worried about the low profile tires being destroyed by a pothole. that really makes me nervous compared to if i had 18". but then every time i look at the car, i love the 20s with red calipers. such a conflicted situation.

free super charging feels very good. i paid a HUGE premium to have it over a RWD car, but i love the feeling of free KWH. dont care how much AC or seat seaters or hard accelerations etc.

I still think the RWD car if offered with the white interior would be the best value for me. you dont need to go p3d fast. you really dont. but damn it's awesome.

Any other P3D+ owners wanna share their experience? I’d like to here.

Does the acceleration ever get old for you guys? Or do you eventually get use to it?

You get used to it, especially if you happen to drive a slower car (which is basically any other non-tesla). You will quickly realize how adapted to the 3 you have become, then start to miss it.

It never gets old though. Feels like the car injects serotonin every time you mash the gas. It's always a rush. :cool: