Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the other driver okay, too? The left repeater video shows that she had trouble getting out of her car and that there was some fluid leaking.

The video doesn't proof that. It shows that OP had a green light, so he wasn't at fault. Whether the lady ran the red light or stopped and someone rear-ended her, pushing her car into OP's car, is not shown in the videos. I wish we had access to the door pillar videos, that would probably show what happened there.
Huh?!? In order for there to be a double-elastic collision, with the Toyota going fast enough to make that big of a t-bone with the Tesla, the vehicle hitting the Toyota from the rear had to have been in a huge collision. You don't see any sign of a rear-end collision from the side repeater cam. There's no bodywork flying or crumpled metal showing on the rear of the Toyota. Look how far she had to have been pushed! She crossed over 2 whole lanes. Clearly, she was driving and not pushed.

Well they think they can fix my car. I got an estimate of $13,000 from Tesla Collision Houston. The car has been towed there. Since all the Tesla Collision Repair centers are backlogged here in Houston, Tesla Collision Houston was the only one that had room. The latest they can start working on my car in March 27th. :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Huh?!? In order for there to be a double-elastic collision, with the Toyota going fast enough to make that big of a t-bone with the Tesla, the vehicle hitting the Toyota from the rear had to have been in a huge collision. You don't see any sign of a rear-end collision from the side repeater cam. There's no bodywork flying or crumpled metal showing on the rear of the Toyota. Look how far she had to have been pushed! She crossed over 2 whole lanes. Clearly, she was driving and not pushed.
Man, that lady that hit me was so old, I felt bad for her. She was hunched-over old (like 80 years old). She clearly thought I ran the red light, or thats what she was telling the police and her relatives that showed up...Until I pulled out the old dashcam USB o_Oo_Oo_O.

Man, that lady that hit me was so old, I felt bad for her. She was hunched-over old (like 80 years old). She clearly thought I ran the red light, or thats what she was telling the police and her relatives that showed up...Until I pulled out the old dashcam USB o_Oo_Oo_O.
Sad, she missed that light change by about 4 seconds! I have a feeling she shouldn't be driving/crashing.

Go to Hertz and rent another Model 3.

Most insurance will have you in a loaner--you pay for it as part of your policy! In the end, the Toyota driver's insurance will cover it so this is an odd situation that you've allowed.

Your car will be out of service for months, if it's not totaled, so best to get out of that Mustang ASAP. We only have one planet and dumping more GHG's just increases the risks of very, very bad outcomes.

(Watch "Don't Look Up" for more color on this, then read the article below.)

I checked the Hertz website, they don't have Model 3's available in Houston

like a boss. Now that you uploaded footage to youtube, you backed it up just in case. We are not going to talk about if the lady was too old, lying, should not been driving, etc. but she clearly ran a red light. Green came on and not like you gunned it. It is too bad you can will be worked on started late march. Does your current insurance cover rental? Tesla has rentals?

I've never seen an accident like that where airbags didn't deploy. The most important thing is that the OP is okay but I would be curious why the seat mounted airbag didn't deploy as they are supposed to even at moderate collisions. Would be a good idea to discuss with the body shop if that's normal just to make sure that it's looked at as part of the repair process.

Glad it appears that you are ok (assuming that since you are here posting about this)

Airbags deploying or not is..... let me stop for a second. The fact that you are posting on a website after that collision, is fairly indicative that the car protected you properly, airbags deploying or no. They deploy when they need to, basically.

The website tesla has for bodyshops is here:

I put in Houston Tx and got the following:

• Tesla Collision Houston​

14520 Wagg Way RdHouston, TX 77041346-206-7273
    map
  • Katy Coach Works​

27 Reviews1180 Blalock Rd.Houston, TX 77055713-465-6225Learn more
    map
  • Collision Plus​

18 Reviews7628 Bellaire BlvdHouston, TX 77036(713) 988-5489Learn more
    map
  • Sterling McCall Restoration Center​

2 Reviews12202 Murphy RoadStafford, TX 77477(281) 848-4900Learn more
    map
  • Caliber Collision Austin - Metric Blvd​

10420 Metric BlvdAustin, TX 78758(512) 233-0460Learn more
    map
  • Covert Collision Center​

11 Reviews8950 Research BlvdAustin, TX 78758(512) 476-4101Learn more
    map
  • Autocraft BodyWerks​

30 Reviews5411 Wasson RdAustin, TX 78745512-441-7444Learn more
    map

You might consider if anyone has any feedback on any of these in the Texas subforum here:

Right. Airbags can do harm and only deploy when they absolutely are going to statistically improve the outcome. It’s not like, let’s fire airbags to play it safe. They are pretty violent.

It’s a lot like active braking. It won’t brake if it thinks you’ll be safe because automated braking might do more harm than good. If it will cost you $20K in damage, it does not care. As long as you are safe.

It looks bad, but that might be a 15mph hit, which can do lots of damage. The door didn’t “fold”. Impact was spread out.

How many G’s sideways did driver experience? Hard to know from looking at damage. But the airbag knew. Worth checking into but don’t assume it should have deployed. I think newer systems are smarter too. Did driver suffer head injury or shoulder injury due to lake of airbag? I think he would have mentioned it.

Last edited:
I don't think the impact was severe enough for the side airbag to deploy. The 3 crumpled where it needed to to spread the impact by the look of it. Looks messy but did the job of protecting the driver. The other video of the white 3 smashing into what look likes a store, was much faster so no surprise all the bags deployed in that one.