Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, for those who didn’t see it the first thousand times this has been explained, RATED RANGE HAS NOTHING TO WITH YOUR DRIVING HABITS. Your actual range will be less with more energy consumption, of course, but the rated range that the battery meter displays is based on a constant Wh/mi.

This should be clear to anyone coming from an ICE; it's the same as being light on the pedal vs heavy.

Funny as hell that at least one person disagreed!

This should be clear to anyone coming from an ICE; it's the same as being light on the pedal vs heavy.

Funny as hell that at least one person disagreed!

i disagree not because of the content, but because of the attitude. sorry if I did not see it posted the first 999 times, perhaps a new owner FAQ should be posted somewhere so people can actually know instead of people assuming. i also started driving the car only for a month, so this is new to me. as i pointed out there are cars (heck look at the ipace) that do take driving habits into account

this elitism attitude is going to turn people off to tesla, like how so many people on this board made fun of those who wanted key fobs.

i wish people would be more accepting of new owners. try talking to joe sixpack with that condescending attitude.

When new, it used to charge to 80% with 248 rated miles. This matches perfectly with what was expected since that is exactly 80% of the full 310 mile range.

After a week of ownership, it now charges to 246 miles at 80%. I plug in every night with the UMC to a NEMA 14-50 socket. Car has a bit over 200 miles now.

I too hope this isn’t a downward trend, seems like a lot of degradation for just a week’s use, no matter how heavy-footed I am :D. Other than that, the P3D+ is a beast! The battery warranty gives me peace of mind, hopefully not something I’ll have to use soon.

When new, it used to charge to 80% with 248 rated miles. This matches perfectly with what was expected since that is exactly 80% of the full 310 mile range.

After a week of ownership, it now charges to 246 miles at 80%. I plug in every night with the UMC to a NEMA 14-50 socket. Car has a bit over 200 miles now.

I too hope this isn’t a downward trend, seems like a lot of degradation for just a week’s use, no matter how heavy-footed I am :D. Other than that, the P3D+ is a beast! The battery warranty gives me peace of mind, hopefully not something I’ll have to use soon.
Nothing to worry about, the battery capacity drops faster in the beginning and then levels off. It's not a straight line. For example, in my Model S I lost 5% of range in 5 years, with almost half of that in the first year. Also remember the reported range isn't exact, as battery state of charge can't be measured directly. There is an algorithm to estimate charge which may be more or less accurate over time-- accuracy will be increased after charging to 100% but don't do it just to improve the accuracy of the algorithm, only do it when you're going on a trip.

i disagree not because of the content, but because of the attitude. sorry if I did not see it posted the first 999 times, perhaps a new owner FAQ should be posted somewhere so people can actually know instead of people assuming. i also started driving the car only for a month, so this is new to me. as i pointed out there are cars (heck look at the ipace) that do take driving habits into account

this elitism attitude is going to turn people off to tesla, like how so many people on this board made fun of those who wanted key fobs.

i wish people would be more accepting of new owners. try talking to joe sixpack with that condescending attitude.
I'm sorry you were offended, you show a join date of March 2015 and 230 messages posted. One would presume you've also read some of the relevant threads in the past 3+ years while waiting for your Model 3.

I’ve had my car for about 3 weeks. 90% was consistently 279 miles. On Tuesday, charging complete was at 274.
Something else to keep in mind is seasonal changes in weather. I don't know if we've formally documented it (or found documentation for it), but the self-reported (by the car) range seems to be sensitive to temperature, at least on the S.

Reactions: outdoors
i disagree not because of the content, but because of the attitude. ...

That's why there is www.model3ownersclub.com.

Tesla can probably tear down the pack and repackage them in Powerpacks since they sell them by capacity and not as "new cells". They might even make a profit the second time they sell them if the teardown costs aren't too high.

Tesla has pretty much said that they will recycle the raw materials in packs rather than re-purposing them for storage. (They use a different cell formulation in their storage products.)

The most telling thing is that many other BEV makers have already started a lot of "second life" programs to start re-using the old packs once they are no longer fit for use in the car. Tesla has not. Why is that so interesting? Because all of the makers with these "second life" programs have shipped way fewer cars. So either their packs degrade really fast, or Tesla is sitting on a stock pile of packs waiting to be recycled. (Since I thought they said that the recycling system wasn't up and running yet.)

My degradation post 20k is less than 0.3% on my 3(8 months). On S it is showing 1.2% after 44k(13 months of ownership).

Very few 100% charges. Many, many superchargers. Mostly home charging. After coming home from CA in Jan. to MI the range actually went up as I got to summer time. So I suspect temp has a bit to do with it.

Relax all new owners if you can. @DrJ can be right to a degree. This forum is filled with long time owners that have had these types of questions, and we can sometimes be harsh(me included) on items like this. M3 owners club can be a little on the easier side, which is why I don't belong to that one.

Also as an add Edit: Consider Telsfi if you really want to get into stuff like this. Battery health efficiency and such to measure degradation without having to charge to 100%. Which one should not be doing on a regular basis just to test the battery degradation. Just make sure you understand settings on how to make the car sleep and not keep pinging car.

Hey Guys,
So my last thread must have been deleted for some reason, unsure why but here is the run down of what happened for me.

Around 3 weeks ago I realized at 90% charge I was only getting a range of 263 Miles - I thought this was odd and defiantly lower than everyone I had spoken to that had RWD cars. I reached out to several P3D owners and surprisingly more than 40% of them had a similar issue.

At first I assumed the battery just needed a re-balancing / calibration ect. So I dropped the battery to 5% and then supercharged it to 100%. Range was still only 292 miles. At this point I was getting a bit worried over 5% battery degradation in the first month seemed really high performance car or not. I called Tesla service and set up a remote diagnostic check. (this was last wednesday)

They monitored the battery until Yesterday and just got a call back today. Faulty cell - the pack has to be replaced.

Just a FYI - If you think something might be wrong get it checked. Numerous people kept barking at me stating that the car shows an adjusted range based on driving habits - I knew this was false and went directly to Tesla. I can still drive the car until the new pack comes in which is good..

anyway. TL:DR 292 miles full charge after 40 days - Bad Cell - Getting a new Pack
Thank you for the useful feedback. This is very useful information for new M3 owners like myself. When reading the forum I see lots of opinions that accepts genuine defects as a defacto standard from some members vigorously defending Tesla no matter the fault. I believe in promoting truth and solid information that helps other Tesla owners. Yes sometimes this is promoting your enthusiasm which is just an opinion but it would be nice if other forum members are nice to other members when they are having issues that they don't understand and seeking answers with honest intentions. Not everyone with problems is a Tesla short. So less barking and more fact-based info and real-world experiences are very helpful.

Reactions: FlyinDelorean
Tesla has pretty much said that they will recycle the raw materials in packs rather than re-purposing them for storage. (They use a different cell formulation in their storage products.)

The most telling thing is that many other BEV makers have already started a lot of "second life" programs to start re-using the old packs once they are no longer fit for use in the car. Tesla has not. Why is that so interesting? Because all of the makers with these "second life" programs have shipped way fewer cars. So either their packs degrade really fast, or Tesla is sitting on a stock pile of packs waiting to be recycled. (Since I thought they said that the recycling system wasn't up and running yet.)

I suspect the former ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.