Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrong.
There is a 10-mile computer controlled speed ceiling increase to + package.
This is something you cannot do in any other way (other than hacking the computer system ... unlikely)
Look, if you can find another stock car that does 0-60 in 3.3 secs for < $71k, have at it. No such car exists.
Stop bitching you got a similar car (just without the 20" wheels) and can upgrade everything but the top speed, later.
I am about to throw up everyone says "Oh you paid $5k for paint" - go to @@@ you people you are DEAD WRONG there
is value for money the + package even if your brain cannot understand it.
Probably a huge part of the $5k package was going to be insurance to Tesla against early drivetrain wearouts.
You didn't think Elon was giving away the performance package did you? Do you want Tesla out of business?

If you got the $65k car and want to lower it and add 20" wheels, just get everything from www.mountainpassperformance.com (big brake kit, new toe arms). Sasha Anis is a very successful canadian pro racer (he holds records at the toronto motorsports track) and his mods made a stock RWD model 3 eight seconds (9%) faster on that track.
It will be interesting to see the MP3 with performance package go up against one of Sasha’s modified MP3s on the track.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Aside from the top speed, will all Performance get the new Track Mode or only those with PU? This goes back to the frustration of not knowing quite what you're getting with

2 piece front rotors $1380
2 piece rear rotors: $1050
sport brake pads $350
toe arms $385
camber arms $395
comfort coilers $1620 ($2350 for sports)
wheels $2000
tires (245/35/20 & 285/30/20) $1200
TPMS $200
sport pedals $50
CF spoiler $300
caliper paint or wrap $100

total $9030

granted, this is likely an improvement over the PU in some areas and not as good in others. The OEM PU spoiler is hands down the best one available. Coilers and adjustable arms will allow a greater drop. The wheel/tire combo will definitely have a more aggressive stance. Tires could be cheaper or more expensive than I listed. Suspension could be just lowering springs and no adjustable arms to correct alignment. That's not doing it the right way though. On the brakes, they are likely similar at least in size, but it looks like the PU goes to 6 pot front and 4 pot rear instead of 4 front/ 1 rear.

Also, if the factory big brake turns out to be able to fit 18's, theres another plus for some people. Turns out the PU package isn't necessarily a bad deal.

Aside from the top speed, will all Performance get the new Track Mode or only those with PU? This goes back to the frustration of not knowing quite what you're getting with

Given it doesn't really exist yet we have no idea. My guess is that it will be part of the performance upgrade package. (Especially if the Tesla VDC system uses the brakes more heavily in track mode which is what people are speculating.)

Well crap, guys. Looks like 18's aren't going to fit over Performance brakes. Somebody (Alighieri256) just recently posted in another forum that the rear clearance between the caliper and wheel is 0.955" (a quarter). 19's will fit, but no 18's. Interesting enough, the fronts have a bit more gap and might BARELY clear 18's. Crazy that it is the rear that are the problem.

20180725_174917.jpg
20180725_174714.jpg

Well crap, guys. Looks like 18's aren't going to fit over Performance brakes. Somebody (Alighieri256) just recently posted in another forum that the rear clearance between the caliper and wheel is 0.955" (a quarter). 19's will fit, but no 18's. Interesting enough, the fronts have a bit more gap and might BARELY clear 18's. Crazy that it is the rear that are the problem.

View attachment 320794 View attachment 320795
Are the fronts 4 or 6 pot brakes? What about the rear? 2?4?

2 piece front rotors $1380
2 piece rear rotors: $1050
sport brake pads $350
toe arms $385
camber arms $395
comfort coilers $1620 ($2350 for sports)
wheels $2000
tires (245/35/20 & 285/30/20) $1200
TPMS $200
sport pedals $50
CF spoiler $300
caliper paint or wrap $100

total $9030

granted, this is likely an improvement over the PU in some areas and not as good in others. The OEM PU spoiler is hands down the best one available. Coilers and adjustable arms will allow a greater drop. The wheel/tire combo will definitely have a more aggressive stance. Tires could be cheaper or more expensive than I listed. Suspension could be just lowering springs and no adjustable arms to correct alignment. That's not doing it the right way though. On the brakes, they are likely similar at least in size, but it looks like the PU goes to 6 pot front and 4 pot rear instead of 4 front/ 1 rear.

Also, if the factory big brake turns out to be able to fit 18's, theres another plus for some people. Turns out the PU package isn't necessarily a bad deal.

Everything you wrote here has been on point with what I have been thinking. I was on the verge of accepting delivery of a P without the PU package. I delayed delivery, which allowed me time to think about it more. I’ve since added the PU package.

I forgot to add that it is my speculation that the upcoming track mode will only apply to the cars with the performance upgrade package. Of course we won’t know until it comes out, but it makes sense that the track mode would only apply to cars that are track ready

View attachment 320794 View attachment 320795

I sent pictures to Tsportline and they said they will test fitment next week and get back to me.

The most important question for me with the "Performance Upgrade" is to know if the car will have better handling with this pack installed or will be just an aesthetic thing...

I mean, will the Model 3 suspension be tweaked for the 20" rims use? Are the "red calipers" calibrated for the brake force of the Model 3 mass at high speeds to reduce overheat? Does the "carbon spoiler" make any (enough) down force to be of any help at high speeds ?

If not, then clearly $5k may be "too much" for just a decorative thing...Of course, a Model 3 Performance version with just the "standard equipment" might raise some concerns too..for instance, does the 3.5 secs (0-60) can be achieved with the standard 18" wheels and tires ?

I think I will wait for the tests of the Performance Model 3 before making a decision.

the P suspension is a few cm lower (one of the reviews said so, motor trend or the WSJ guy maybe, maybe electrek)
P brakes bigger and better
20s make for a more stiff ride but handling slightly better
spoiler and pedals mostly aesthetics

(all so i’m told - i haven’t got mine yet )