Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model 3 Performance Faster Than Advertised – 0-60 MPH in 3.18 Seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

It seems there may be a bit more performance than advertised for the Tesla Model 3 Performance version.

YouTuber Erik Strait posted a video testing the 0-60 mph time of the car, which Tesla says is 3.5 seconds. Strait, however, was able to repeatedly record a time of 3.3 seconds to 60 mph. Then, with a 99 percent charge, he hit 3.18 seconds.

The Model 3 Performance used in the test sported the 20″ Performance Wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Check out the video below.

[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4TJDidF-fw” video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
The car is checking for wheel spin hundreds of times a seconds and instantaneously adjusting throttle to maximize acceleration and minimize/eliminate spin. If you have hard all season tires your rubber won't have as much surface tension and it will take less power to make the wheels start spinning.

All true, but the car is not yet traction limited. It is software limited, otherwise we'd not see different times based upon battery level, and no improvements when tire pressure is lowered.

When in “the real world” would you need 3.18sec 0-60? When you describe that instance, would it not be possible to ensure you are on a full charge?

Sure, as long as you're willing to bring your gas generator along with you to races. :) But I guarantee you'll hear people running around quoting that their car can do 0-60 in 3.18 seconds while never actually having their car in a position that would make it possible. Most folks don't want to hasten the demise of their battery by charging to 100% every day and never driving more that a couple of miles from the charging station, just so that they can truthfully claim their car can do 0-60 in 3.18 seconds on demand.

In other words, "real world 0-60 time" is what the car can do on any given day at an average state of charge for your car. For me, that state of charge would generally be between 80% and 20%.

Reactions: Matt L
In other words, "real world 0-60 time" is what the car can do on any given day at an average state of charge for your car. For me, that state of charge would generally be between 80% and 20%.

Further adding to your point, if we're talking "real world 0-60 times", keep in mind a lot of the 0-60 times quoted for ICE cars require you have perfect launches which means the driver has to fiddle with all the settings to activate launch mode. If you are doing red light to red light racing, by the time to the ICE car gets all their settings and launch RPM right, you'll be at the next light already because all you need to do is stomp on the go pedal. Same goes with the S P100D, if you want that sub 2.5 0-60, you gotta fiddle with ludicrous AND wait for the battery to warm up.

I think I hate you:eek:. You just had to show me how slow my turbo SPG 900 '89 Saab actually is. I can't even count how many cars beat the 8.5 second time to 60 mph. Still feels fast to me, so sad - eh? side note: I discovered that over 50 mph letting the turbo work was faster than any down shifting. Gears are so last century. Bring on the future - electrification.

Just yesterday I offered to do a 0-60 race with a friend at work. He has an older Corvette he's always working on and talking about. He wasn't foolish enough to take me up on the race, so I said I would leave my car in 1st gear to give him an advantage. :D

I've said this elsewhere, but I'm curious how much power Tesla will add OTA in the future. According to the firmware hacked by Ingineerix, the battery is capable of delivering over 600hp(480kW). His teardown of the drive unit showed that the inverters should easily be able to handle that.

I guess I'll need to bring my generator to the drag strip next time I go to hit that 99% charge.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'm curious how much power Tesla will add OTA in the future. According to the firmware hacked by Ingineerix, the battery is capable of delivering over 600hp(480kW). His teardown of the drive unit showed that the inverters should easily be able to handle that.
would it be crazy for them to charge for something like that? Adding another 100hp let's say would definitely result in more warranty claims so it wouldn't be unreasonable. I'd pay 2-5k for another 100 horsepower for sure if my warranty was not impacted.

I guess I'll need to bring my generator to the drag strip next time I go to hit that 99% charge.

would it be crazy for them to charge for something like that? Adding another 100hp let's say would definitely result in more warranty claims so it wouldn't be unreasonable. I'd pay 2-5k for another 100 horsepower for sure if my warranty was not impacted.

Lets not float the idea of a paid performance upgrade out in the universe!! Free OTA!!

In all seriousness though, i'd pay extra for sub 3 seconds... i think it should have been that way from the beginning.

Lets not float the idea of a paid performance upgrade out in the universe!! Free OTA!!

In all seriousness though, i'd pay extra for sub 3 seconds... i think it should have been that way from the beginning.
They would have to keep it from encroaching into the 100d ludicrous territory, but there is plenty of room there.

It will be interesting to see how much weight could be dropped the first time somebody tears an 3P down as a track car. I'm sure you could easily find 500 pounds without doing anything drastic.

Maximum traction occurs at ~10% wheel slip

every source I've checked so far says degrees not percent. Also they seem to suggest a lower percent for non racing tires.

For race and high performance tires this optimum slip angle is around 6 to 10 degrees while this number is a little lower for street tires.

Slip Angle - formula1-dictionary.net/slip_angle.html

Last edited:
Received my P3D+ yesterday and ripped these two times his morning as I left the house. Cold tires and battery on a side street. Didn’t feel the tires lose any grip. 3.2 and 3.3 sec with rollout. Used my Vbox so these are legit times.

If I take this car to my local drag strip I know I can get 3.0 - 3.1 0-60. Very impressive because there is no pre-heating the battery like my old P85D and P100D. Just get in and it will run low 3 seconds. Plus this car is more fun to drive than a P100D. 20” wheels make the car feel glued to the road. The ride is not terrible. The wine from the front motor makes it feel like a space ship. More front motor noise than a P100D, which I like. I’ll post the 0-60 video later.

Attachments

• EF42B7B0-BD61-404B-8E18-8EBB52E9DF17.jpeg
    EF42B7B0-BD61-404B-8E18-8EBB52E9DF17.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 94F7003C-D3B6-47CE-A838-CE838C73508A.jpeg
    94F7003C-D3B6-47CE-A838-CE838C73508A.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 55
It's interesting because those results, consistent with the others we've seen, all prove Tesla is not including rollout in the P 0-60 advertised time... which is a change from the Model S/X P models where they DID include it to make the numbers look .2-.3 better.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando