Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone knows more about car manufacturing kindly explain why Tesla QC in the US has always been this bad? Couple things I can think of
1. Worker Skills? ( Giga Shanghai Seems to have better quality)
2. Machine Tolerance?
3. Cost more money to get all the panel perfectly aligned so they don't want to do it?

When I first heard Tesla QC& Panel issue 10 years ago, I think it is understandable because they are a new company. It's 2024 not 2014.......
Probably all of the above, plus a big one: the output of Giga Shanghai is way higher than Fremont or Austin. Take a look at this chart from the last Tesla quarterly results.

With much higher production capacity, you can assume that even if 5-10% of cars don't pass QC, the overall output is way higher. Because they produce much more than they sell currently in Shanghai, they can have stricter QC and still meet all the delivery goals for the region. Here in the US, they're more incentivized to let QC slide in order to meet delivery goals since supply and demand is more evenly balanced.

Even in places like Texas where one can rip apart the environment to their hearts content to build a massive factory and there are tons of cheap workers available, it's still not possible to match the production output of a Chinese city like Shanghai.

1715969406672.png

I’m sorry but as someone who has been waiting since January for a white interior, everyone needs to calm down with saying black interior is “delayed.” It hasn’t even been a month since the car was announced for gods sake.
Well the conclusion is stemming from the fact that first batch of cars produced for customer delivery are for the lower demand trim. M3P tracker shows roughly 65% to 35% split between black and white interior. It makes natural sense for them to produce more black interiors cars vs white until unless they have issues in doing that.

Probably all of the above, plus a big one: the output of Giga Shanghai is way higher than Fremont or Austin. Take a look at this chart from the last Tesla quarterly results.

With much higher production capacity, you can assume that even if 5-10% of cars don't pass QC, the overall output is way higher. Because they produce much more than they sell currently in Shanghai, they can have stricter QC and still meet all the delivery goals for the region. Here in the US, they're more incentivized to let QC slide in order to meet delivery goals since supply and demand is more evenly balanced.

Even in places like Texas where one can rip apart the environment to their hearts content to build a massive factory and there are tons of cheap workers available, it's still not possible to match the production output of a Chinese city like Shanghai.

View attachment 1048122
Good point. I would assume Tesla use the same QC standard globally, but the result are very different. Also I think Giga Shanghai's production supply most of the other regions in the world.

Reactions: hkarthik
Well the conclusion is stemming from the fact that first batch of cars produced for customer delivery are for the lower demand trim. M3P tracker shows roughly 65% to 35% split between black and white interior. It makes natural sense for them to produce more black interiors cars vs white until unless they have issues in doing that.
It's called White Interior privilege.

I’m sorry but as someone who has been waiting since January for a white interior, everyone needs to calm down with saying black interior is “delayed.” It hasn’t even been a month since the car was announced for gods sake.

It is however, not in production and white is. It's not necessarily "delayed" but people are used to the black going into production first. The people who ordered black thought they would go first or at least run a mixed production line. Turns out, it looks like they are only running white.

Reactions: MileHighM3P
I think most of us are US workers. We are offended.
Yep. We could put more passion into our cars so that we can compete with the Italian car companies, but then i wouldn't be able to afford a performance car any longer. And that's coming from a second generation Italian, i am proud of my heritage. But when money's involved, I'll take my cheaper built by lazy Americans car any day! Really, any day now I'm sure my vin will come in.....

Can anyone knows more about car manufacturing kindly explain why Tesla QC in the US has always been this bad? Couple things I can think of
1. Worker Skills? ( Giga Shanghai Seems to have better quality)
2. Machine Tolerance?
3. Cost more money to get all the panel perfectly aligned so they don't want to do it?

When I first heard Tesla QC& Panel issue 10 years ago, I think it is understandable because they are a new company. It's 2024 not 2014.......
I don’t think Tesla is alone.

I bought my 2022 Chevy Tahoe new. It came with extra hardware laying around in both the engine bay and exterior. There were a few chips in the paint. The exhaust tip was also scratched on the top side (from install). Lastly an injector failed within 5-600 miles.

I have had many German cars. Not a single one had these issues. And all of those had to make their way here from across the Atlantic! I’m convinced it’s part of manufacturing here

Reactions: Gasaraki
I don’t think Tesla is alone.

I bought my 2022 Chevy Tahoe new. It came with extra hardware laying around in both the engine bay and exterior. There were a few chips in the paint. The exhaust tip was also scratched on the top side (from install). Lastly an injector failed within 5-600 miles.

I have had many German cars. Not a single one had these issues. And all of those had to make their way here from across the Atlantic! I’m convinced it’s part of manufacturing here
I've owned BMW's built in Spartanburg, SC (by lazy Americans) and they were problem free as well. There's more to it....

This is what's been happening to me as the date changes:
May 12 - May 25
May 13 - May 25
May 14 - May 25
etc.
Every damn day.
Did you order May
I ordered around 10am on April 23rd. I see in the spreadsheet that you're having basically the exact same experience!
legit haha it’s been the most annoying thing waiting I was surprised to even get the date range I did. No vin yet though :(

Reactions: xianking
Yep. We could put more passion into our cars so that we can compete with the Italian car companies, but then i wouldn't be able to afford a performance car any longer. And that's coming from a second generation Italian, i am proud of my heritage. But when money's involved, I'll take my cheaper built by lazy Americans car any day! Really, any day now I'm sure my vin will come in.....
Lol, because volume OEMs like Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Maserati make such reliable cars.

• Funny
Reactions: M3PDenver