Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be confusing terms, but I think Brake Creep was where it imitated an ICE car and started to creep forward.
They also used to have setting that effectively either
1. Regen braking to a slow speed, then it kinda coasted and you had to hit the real brake
2. Car auto comes to a full and complete stop (and engages brake hold)

#2 now seems to be the only choice. I don’t know if that’s specific to all Highlands, only the Performance, or what. My 2018 M3 had the options. 2024 has no choices. I went a bit crazy looking.
It's all 2024 M3 refresh models, cause I remember looking for the regen options during my LR demo drive and there were none to be had.

Are there any brake-related settings in track mode?

I noticed the same brake issue that Josh (I forget his SN here) discussed in his livestream last night. It definitely felt weak with the brakes. I'm not really a car guy and I thought they felt lacking like mad. Guessing I need to do "something" to break them in, just need to figure out what.
The Ultra Red is unbelievably gorgeous, and the White interior makes it pop. For me, 100% glad I made this color choice! The turn signal buttons.. Not my favorite so far. Wish it was still stalks.
But overall impressions are great. I loved my old car (2018 M3 LR), best car I ever owned. I can tell this one will beat it!
There is brake pad seating and compound process.. I have seen on line YouTube Tesla service mode there is actually a program to walk you thru it. But in general find a lonely road, and accelerate to 60ish and break to 5mph or so. accelerate again and repeat 7-10 times. you should smell pads outside. On ICE don't complete stop and hold on the breaks after the process as rotors and pads will be smoking hot. although with ev not sure if this is concern.

One thing I'm now a bit confused about.. is everyone currently assuming the most high-performance mode will always be "insane"?
It seems so odd that it's not officially called "ludicrous", so I've been thinking they'll release an update later on that maybe shaves a fraction of a second and adds launch mode.. but I realized that may be a thought held mostly in my own head. Any insights?

There is brake pad seating and compound process.. I have seen on line YouTube Tesla service mode there is actually a program to walk you thru it. But in general find a lonely road, and accelerate to 60ish and break to 5mph or so. accelerate again and repeat 7-10 times. you should smell pads outside. On ICE don't complete stop and hold on the breaks after the process as rotors and pads will be smoking hot. although with ev not sure if this is concern.
Thanks, I’ll have to check that out. In a word I would say I thought they felt “unsafe”. So a break in routine makes sense

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and JezzaE
I think the real reason is that the service center is absolutely swamped with people picking up standard Highlands and Model Y's after the .99% financing bonanza. That place was a total zoo. I think they just haven't gotten to the M3P's yet and it's just an irrefutable story to placate excited customers. I think Tesla is going to blow Q2/Q3 deliveries (and hopefully earnings) out of the water, and for that I can wait my turn since I am long Tesla and have been buying this dip like mad.
That makes sense about the delivery center being swamped with Model Y deliveries. I drove by last week and saw nothing but Model Ys parked in every conceivable spot with customers standing around. Us M3P customers are honestly small fish in the wide view, but I do agree with you that Tesla's Q2 delivery performance will be driven by the Model Y financing incentive. The question is, does that kill demand if they don't keep some incentive going for the 2nd half of the year?

One thing I'm now a bit confused about.. is everyone currently assuming the most high-performance mode will always be "insane"?
It seems so odd that it's not officially called "ludicrous", so I've been thinking they'll release an update later on that maybe shaves a fraction of a second and adds launch mode.. but I realized that may be a thought held mostly in my own head. Any insights?
Has Tesla themselves ever referred to anything on this car as Ludicrous? Or has that just been something the masses have applied. Kinda like Highland? All i have seen officially from Tesla are the terms Performance and the Insane mode.

I have a feeling they want to reserve that term to S/X performance ( Plaid now) models only

So I didn’t have the trade in section “completed” I had clicked trade in but didn’t fill it out because wanted a VIN first. Do you think this was delaying my vin? I just switched to no trade in so it would list it as complete because it’s freaking me out now. Did I screw myself?
Possibly. From watching threads like this over the years, one thing that stood out to me is that not having an order completed would delay a persons progress through the process. So yes, putting in "trade" but not completing it could possibly move you behind someone who had a completed order profile.

That makes sense about the delivery center being swamped with Model Y deliveries. I drove by last week and saw nothing but Model Ys parked in every conceivable spot with customers standing around. Us M3P customers are honestly small fish in the wide view, but I do agree with you that Tesla's Q2 delivery performance will be driven by the Model Y financing incentive. The question is, does that kill demand if they don't keep some incentive going for the 2nd half of the year?
They will probably do something else like lease special, then refresh model Y will be around the cornor

Reactions: eeeric
I think we'll see an OTA update that gives us ludicrous speed. Right now they are trying to keep a version of the car inside of the tax credit.

Remember, launch mode is only worth anything on ICE. It gets the RPMs up so the engine can make torque. We will not get cheetah mode, we don't have air suspension.
Has Tesla themselves ever referred to anything on this car as Ludicrous? Or has that just been something the masses have applied. Kinda like Highland? All i have seen officially from Tesla are the terms Performance and the Insane mode.
The badge is ludicrous speed. It's undebatable.

For those interested, I ordered on the evening of the day they announced it. White with Black Interior. Initially ETA was late May/June. It then switched to Mid July-August a couple weeks later. In the last week or so it switched back to May 30-June 27. Missouri area. Been driving a Toyota for the last 20 years with 400k+ miles, finally moving on from old reliable. The anticipation is palpable.

In my (completely non expert) opinion, this is absolutely weaker brakes than my 2018 M3 had. I never drove any previous performance versions with the red calipers to have a comparison in mind there.
But given how much Tesla is touting the brake strength, let’s say I don’t understand why or how.

I havent looked into this, but if the car comes with actual "track pad" style brake pads, those are worse for regular day to day driving than regular pads. They are better on the track once you heat them up, but for day to day braking (especially in a Tesla) we are not doing it enough to heat them up, so they usually feel worse than standard pads on the street. That is, unless your beating on your car on the street like it was at a track.

Now, I dont know if they have track pads but if so, that would be the reason. The question is, does it say somewhere its coming with track brakes / track pads?

Reactions: Estelle_MS
I think we'll see an OTA update that gives us ludicrous speed. Right now they are trying to keep a version of the car inside of the tax credit.

Remember, launch mode is only worth anything on ICE. It gets the RPMs up so the engine can make torque. We will not get cheetah mode, we don't have air suspension.

The badge is ludicrous speed. It's undebatable.
Yeah but have the ever called it that. They for sure hung the Pliad name in the Model S. But i have not officially seen the term Ludicrous in any Tesla media.

I havent looked into this, but if the car comes with actual "track pad" style brake pads, those are worse for regular day to day driving than regular pads. They are better on the track once you heat them up, but for day to day braking (especially in a Tesla) we are not doing it enough to heat them up, so they usually feel worse than standard pads on the street. That is, unless your beating on your car on the street like it was at a track.

Now, I dont know if they have track pads but if so, that would be the reason. The question is, does it say somewhere its coming with track brakes / track pads?
"For more braking performance, our track-ready brake pads now come standard on Model 3 Performance*, delivering more immediate deceleration and higher thermal limits and endurance."

Source: https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-new-model-3-performance

1000013961.jpg

I think that's all the info we have

From their website:
High-Performance Brakes: Enhanced pedal feel and improved heat management ensure consistent braking at all speeds and across a wider temperature range.

No specific mention of the words “track pads” but maybe they are, and not explicitly stated. I’m sure others far more familiar with higher performance vehicles will have more (meaningful) input than I. Just sharing my impression, but I am no expert.

Edit: Someone above found a different spot on Teslas site that mentioned “track ready” brake pads. So I guess they are track pads?

Yeah but have the ever called it that. They for sure hung the Pliad name in the Model S. But i have not officially seen the term Ludicrous in any Tesla media.
I believe the “check website source code” where people learned about the P before it was released did indeed say Ludicrous. But that was internal/hidden on the page as rendered, just a back door hack people figured.

I expect they used that as a working name, possibly even intent. But then changed it to just standard “Performance” term.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd