Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For SG/Black it seems like they are only up to about 12:40pm or so on 4/23, so I'm not particularly surprised that I don't have a VIN yet at ordering just before 1pm. It just hurts when I see SG/white VINs going out for 5/6 and later.
But wouldn't it make sense to make enough to fulfill a certain shipment? For example, if you have three white interiors shipping to, lets say PA, but someone else ordered a SG/black, wouldn't they want to make sure they have all 4 to be shipped on the same mode of transportation to reduce shipping costs?

Yes, refresh the app as that hits first. I got my vin at 4am Saturday when i checked it while up for my usual bathroom break. Last i checked it was 11pm the previous night and the vin wasn't yet there.
So at 4am i saw the vin, then checked for an email or text from Tesla. Nothing. Later at 7:01am i get a text from Tesla that says a have a new message and to check my app. I go into the app and nothing has changed. Just a delay of some sort. Maybe Tesla corporate sends out the vins and then part of that is also communicating that to the local Service Center, and then they send out the text? Not sure.
But as you can see with my experience, check your app!
Thanks for the info! I am not sure if this is good or bad as now I feel like I am going to be obsessively checking it non-stop lol. I notice most people that get a VIN, also get a change in their EDD. Does that typically happen at the same time? Or can it be separate? For example, if I refresh the app and my EDD hasn't changed, does that mean it's unlikely when I go to vehicle information that a VIN will be there?

UR/B, ordered 4\23, no vin, EDD 6/3-6/17. I'm really not in a hurry to get it now. Seriously. I went to the Orland Park, Il gallery today, to look at a UR/W display model. Very disappointed with the QC on the paint. Orange peel, small fisheyes, and numerous artifacts in the paint. As I walked up to the car for the first time, my eyes were drawn to something on the drivers side rear fender. I thought it must be a reflection or something. It was some piece of debris that was on the car, that got painted over. It was maybe 1/16" diameter, maybe slightly smaller. Big enough for me to see it from 5-6 feet away. After seeing that I spent probably 20 minutes looking at the paint job. All I'm going to say is, if my car looks like that, we're not going home together. I'm certainly not making final payment before I give the car a very close inspection. I didn't see anything else on the car that wasn't nice, but the paint quality was a serious buzz kill. I'm too old to deal with that BS after taking delivery. I saw an SG/W one that hadn't been cleaned up for delivery, I noticed the orange peel but the car was pretty dirty and outside on a very bright sunny day, so I didn't really look that closely at the paint. Tesla really really need to figure out how to paint an automobile.

U

• Informative
Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
Are most people finding out they have a VIN from getting the text that you have a message in your app? Can you get a VIN, but not get the text message or get the text message later? Trying to figure out how much I need to drive myself crazy refreshing this app.
I received a text this morning at 841 for my vin. Odd part of this was I checked the app around 815-830 and there was no vin. Others says the text came hours later after the app. Don't think there is any consistency. Just like everyone here, I checked many times a day. Your going to drive yourself crazy waiting for the vin so embrace it lol.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
But wouldn't it make sense to make enough to fulfill a certain shipment? For example, if you have three white interiors shipping to, lets say PA, but someone else ordered a SG/black, wouldn't they want to make sure they have all 4 to be shipped on the same mode of transportation to reduce shipping costs?
They are shipping enough cars it isn't going to make much difference. My Kisco, where I pick up my Teslas, moves many truckloads worth of cars a day. The transport is going to be full no matter what they put on it. More likely there's a limited quantity of some portion of the black interior at the moment or they have extra lines making white interiors for the backlog of SR and LR 2024 model 3s that still haven't fulfilled. It makes no sense to have the white interiors sitting around while they wait for black interiors so they ship them out.

You have to keep in mind that they are making more than just M3Ps at the factory. It still hurts as someone with SG/Black, but it does make sense.

Thank you 💯💯💯
Also, if it makes you feel any better. When we got our MYP at the very end of October, we missed the 6 month free supercharging by under 2 weeks. All we got was 3 months free of FSD, but we bought FSD outright (and this was before the 4k price drop), so we lost out on all the benefits that would have had any impact on us and ended up paying $4k for 1 and a half months of FSD (since I could have had 3 months free anyway), but oh well, is what it is. Still a lot better off than the people that bought Ys for $65k only to watch the price drop to $45k a few months later.

Waiting around for the absolute best deal ultimately is rarely worth it unless something is significantly better about an upcoming car (hence why I've waited since early November for the new M3P instead of getting a 23). Look at whether it's a good enough deal now or not. If it is, go for it and enjoy the car. Don't worry too much about what might change or you'll always be waiting for the deal right around the corner.

• Love
Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
They are shipping enough cars it isn't going to make much difference. My Kisco, where I pick up my Teslas, moves many truckloads worth of cars a day. The transport is going to be full no matter what they put on it. More likely there's a limited quantity of some portion of the black interior at the moment or they have extra lines making white interiors for the backlog of SR and LR 2024 model 3s that still haven't fulfilled. It makes no sense to have the white interiors sitting around while they wait for black interiors so they ship them out.

You have to keep in mind that they are making more than just M3Ps at the factory. It still hurts as someone with SG/Black, but it does make sense.
Yeah SG/black here. Ordered 4/23 around 9pm Eastern time. Midwest state. Went from May 2024 -> June 2024 -> July 4-Aug 13 -> May 30-June 13 and then this morning randomly went back to July 15-August 19. Its killing me. I know EDD doesn't mean much, but still hurts when you see people ordering Mid-Late May getting VINS and you don't have one despite ordering the day of release. It is what it is I guess lol.

Reactions: eric135i
Thanks for the info! I am not sure if this is good or bad as now I feel like I am going to be obsessively checking it non-stop lol. I notice most people that get a VIN, also get a change in their EDD. Does that typically happen at the same time? Or can it be separate? For example, if I refresh the app and my EDD hasn't changed, does that mean it's unlikely when I go to vehicle information that a VIN will be there?
Here's what happened to me a week previous to getting the vin: my EDD got pushed out from "May 25 - June 2" to a new EDD of "June 24 - June 30". It stayed at that late June EDD window until the vin populated. After the vin populated it went back to the late May early June window again.
As everyone is saying, it all really makes no sense. Take your current EDD window with a grain of salt and just keep up hope and check the app. Once the vin comes in then things progress fast cause now your local Service Adviser will have you on their radar and want to get you through the delivery process.

Question …
My first Tesla …
Is there a way to get free supercharging?

Buy an older model S or X with free supercharging that transfers still on it.

Not one of these (model 3s or Ys), unless you own a car like the above, and manage to catch Tesla when they run a promo on transferring it.

(talking about permanent free supercharging, not time limited or miles / kWh limited).

I'm guessing with the holiday weekend a lot of folks couldn't schedule their deliveries. Looks like at least 20 more have been scheduled for the next two weeks.
I wouldn't count on the delivery dates in the tracker. Someone had put 5/25 in my delivery date field and I deleted it. It looks like a few got filled in with the same date. SA told me last week that car should arrive in Austin tomorrow or Wed but I have not received any text about delivery date yet. Maybe they wait until it gets to location and passes inspection to text. Texas delivery info and how to's from scheduling, to forms, to payment, etc. are all over the map. Tesla is partly responsible for that confusion.