Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then why does everyone get worked up about it?

:)
Because they are excited. Just like a few others have said, waiting for a large item like this is the closest most adults will get to the way Christmas (or "winter holiday, etc" to not exclude anyone) felt when we were like 5 to 8 years old.

I get it except everyone says EDDs means nothing. It must mean something. Imagine if Tesla did not provide an EDD? Everyone would freak out about something that is meaningless?
That's the point. The EDD is just something Tesla provides to appease us during the wait. It really does not have any significance whatsoever, because it would be even worse without one. It's closer (and i'm saying this very loosely) to possibly indicate how close we are to getting a VIN, but not any closer to the actual delivery date. VINs are what matters most in determining actual delivery date. Once a VIN is assigned, that's when all official communications from Tesla ramps up. In the meantime, during the EDD period, we get one email confirmation upon order, and an automated message to complete pre-delivery tasks, which were also included in the email order confirmation, and nothing more; unless of course we initiate the contact.

TLDR: EDDs mean zilch.

Last edited:
As @jjrandorin so wisely stated,

1716843745264.png

Ordered April 23. 2min and 45.28 seconds after go live. Where's mine, she skipped me, I am telling Mom.... wait....... Darn.

We all need remember that the production vin numbers for the 2024 M3 are still low comparably to prior years M3 production. Indicators suggest they have only been higher volume rates for the last month or so. No explanation why the change over ramp has been so slow. But from recent areial Fremont videos, and recent inventory levels and recent vin increase, it appears they are just now getting the models 3 pumped out. Of course there was a layoff right as they started pumping them out. They have been flooded with MY inventory, likely having company priority to sell. Old inventory is toxic. We know there trying to get as many units sold as fast as possible. My thought is there doing what ever they can logistically to get orders filled. Thus the price increase to keep rebate cars at one color. Making seats of 2 different color is just a different part with the same bolts to the main production line. If I wanted bespoke custom ordering experience with wine and little sandwiches I would of stared with a custom S Class for $130K (them sandwich don't make them selves)

My wild guess there doing the best effort to fulfill orders in some sense of order. But if there is a logistic reason to to quicker fill orders they are filling those.
e.g.
Macro view: Best effort Fulfill Q2 orders before the end of Q3 or earlier, via lowest transport cost method, or to put otherswise with as much profit possible.
Micro view:, a vin that fell out of logistics due to rework going to local area inventory for fulfill local demands near. No need to upset the logistics just to keep a orderly line for one unit. just sell it where you can while the demand is high.

Last edited:
I get it except everyone says EDDs means nothing. It must mean something. Imagine if Tesla did not provide an EDD? Everyone would freak out about something that is meaningless?

The reality >> if we can't control it then it must be meaningless.
They didnt use to provide an estimated delivery date.

Sure it must mean something, logistics is super complicated. Its obviously being updated by some algorithm, that has "stuff" its checking. As far as planning anything around it, yes its pretty meaningless at least until you get a vin assigned. As shown, it moves around in the appearance of being random, even though we know that those changes mean "something" to Tesla.

Its not clear what they mean to the end customer, though, so for the purposes of planning by end user customers, its pretty meaningless until you get a vin. People have tried to decode it over the years. My guess is, because logistics is hard and it makes no sense to ship / transport things to various states without combining them together, location probably matters more than order date / order number.

Specific options ordered also probably are more important than order date/ number.

Tesla would want to make sure if they were shipping cars to, oh, Oregon, or New York, that they would have whatever transport that is, full (train, etc) if they can.

Anyway, the logistics probably make sense if you could see the back end info from Tesla that people always try to sleuth out. They end up not making much sense to us, though, especially when dates move around and people are trying to plan vacations and such around them.

Thus the "ignore the EDD" posts from people who have been through this before, trying to save people heartache / angst. It never works though (trying to save people heartache / angst).

Wheels are 20" staggered:
Front: 235/35 20x9 49.4 lbs.
Rear: 275/30 20x10.1 53.0 lbs.
(with minimal wheel weights, 33 miles of tread wear)

For reference: 20" 245/35 Tesla G-force: 50.8 lbs. (~500 miles of tread wear)
From what I checked, the tires that come from factory weigh in at 23-24 lbs. subtracting that from your total weight with or without the inserts the rim is approximately 26-29 lbs. For a 20 inch rim it’s pretty light also considering these are factory. I’ve seen Martian rims and Tsportline rims coming in at 21-23 lbs.

Lpq
From what I checked, the tires that come from factory weigh in at 23-24 lbs. subtracting that from your total weight with or without the inserts the rim is approximately 26-29 lbs. For a 20 inch rim it’s pretty light also considering these are factory. I’ve seen Martian rims and Tsportline rims coming in at 21-23 lbs.
Right, those are supposed to be forged but I dought they are the lightest forged ones. In the end super light forged 20 inch can be super expensive