Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also drug my feet too long on ordering UR/B and with the price increase landed on SG/B to qualify for the Federal tax credit. Still happy, but I may change it up with matte PPF. Final decision yet to be made.

I picked up my SG/ White M3P last month, I thought I regretted not going red for my full first week of owning the car (don't qualify for the credit anyways so price didn't matter) , now a month later I wouldn't even consider changing this for red. I think red would have been cool for the first week or 2 but after I got my SG tinted it was game over, this car is perfect now, for me. I see red on the street every once in a while and can happily say I don't regret a thing. Cant go wrong with any color on this car though.

Reactions: bmil03 and eric135i
Are you guys really sure the reason for the tax credit change on the LR is because of a battery source change and not because of the requirements being loosened on certain materials used for the pack by the IRS?
All the inventory near me shows available for the tax credit. There is no date restriction on the fuel economy.gov site saying it has to have a certain battery.
All the news sources say it is because of the regulations changing. No mention of a different pack being used.
That is the theory because if it was of the relaxing of regulations, then other companies would get this benefit too but there has been no announcements from other companies.

I’m not so sure. I stopped by the Tesla showroom in Cathedral City today to ask about that. They told me that Tesla had not communicated what specifically changed about the car to make it qualify. They guessed it had something to do with the battery and told me that any car currently on the lot did not qualify for the credit. There was no delivery estimate on the website for new orders so they told me I may have to wait a month or longer to get the car.

So I placed an order for one - LR AWD black/black. And now I’m scheduled to pick it up in Irvine on Thursday. So I went back to the showroom to say “what the heck”? They confirmed the car was sitting in Irvine ready for pickup. I had them confirm the “birthdate” on the car was May 31, built in Fremont.

So at this point it’s anyone’s guess what’s going on but I’m not convinced they switched over to Panasonic batteries on May 31st. In any case, it ended up saving me $7,500 over the price of the M3P. I test drove one and the acceleration was still crazy fast. And of course the longer range and all season tires just make it a more practical car. So while I’ve been hanging out in this thread for weeks now waiting to jump on an M3P deal, it looks like I’m going to be a LR owner in three days.

My guess is at least some people will be switching their orders over to LR. Not everyone can justify spending an extra $7,500 for better acceleration at the expense of less range and less practical summer tires.
Goodbye, nice knowing ya. Perhaps we can associate with each other some other day. ;)

Last edited:
I picked up my SG/ White M3P last month, I thought I regretted not going red for my full first week of owning the car (don't qualify for the credit anyways so price didn't matter) , now a month later I wouldn't even consider changing this for red. I think red would have been cool for the first week or 2 but after I got my SG tinted it was game over, this car is perfect now, for me. I see red on the street every once in a while and can happily say I don't regret a thing. Cant go wrong with any color on this car though.
Hey I will hopefully take delivery of my SG/black soon. I plan to tint my windows. Curious... what windows did you end up tinting and what level of tinting on each? Could you show some photos?

Hey I will hopefully take delivery of my SG/black soon. I plan to tint my windows. Curious... what windows did you end up tinting and what level of tinting on each? Could you show some photos?
Ceramic tints 20% all around 45% windshield

My last M3P was blue on white and tinting the windshield made all the difference this time around, I can never go back

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

Ceramic tints 20% all around 45% windshield

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg
Nice looks sharp! It's hard to tell, but 45% on the entire top windshield? Or just the front windshield?

Also, do you plan to do anything with the emblems? I was thinking that blacking out the front emblem and back "TESLA" lettering would look sharp with SG and tinted windows, but not sure the best way to do this.

Also, any difficulty seeing at night with the 20% all around?

Nice looks sharp! It's hard to tell, but 45% on the entire top windshield? Or just the front windshield?

Also, do you plan to do anything with the emblems? I was thinking that blacking out the front emblem and back "TESLA" lettering would look sharp with SG and tinted windows, but not sure the best way to do this.

Hmm good question, I think it is only on the windshield but to be honest I have no idea if he tinted the roof or not, I can take a closer look, The back window is definitely tinted so its possible he did the whole thing.

I do want to black out the lettering as well. I am too lazy to try plastidip so want to see if there are good stickers I can buy to just put on top, but most people recommend plastidip for blacking out the letters

Also, any difficulty seeing at night with the 20% all around?

Surprisingly not hard to see out at night even with the windshield tinted too, I am also very used to tints but these do seem darker than I usually go and are still not bad for seeing out at night. In fact I think these tints help me at night since my eyes are sensitive to light, before other car headlights would blind me and now they don't, way safer for me personally.

Reactions: bmil03
I do want to black out the lettering as well. I am too lazy to try plastidip so want to see if there are good stickers I can buy to just put on top, but most people recommend plastidip for blacking out the letters
FWIW going the plastidip route is a super easy DIY job. Buy some plastic sheeting and then cut a hole in the center for the emblem and use painters tape to seal the edges/fine tune the opening.

In fairness it wasn’t as easy on the underlined Dual Motor badge on my 2021 M3P because of the smaller letters/intricacy. I believe it will be moderately easy on the larger Tesla letters on the rear deck of the 2024 M3P though.

FWIW going the plastidip route is a super easy DIY job. Buy some plastic sheeting and then cut a hole in the center for the emblem and use painters tape to seal the edges/fine tune the opening.

In fairness it wasn’t as easy on the underlined Dual Motor badge on my 2021 M3P because of the smaller letters/intricacy. I believe it will be moderately easy on the larger Tesla letters on the rear deck of the 2024 M3P though.
will have to look up a few vids and try it one weekend

Talked to my SA and we looked for inventory in CA and it looks like all the M3Ps ended up in the Los Angeles area this week. He was willing to help me take delivery down there if I needed to, but we couldn't find anything available anywhere in the Bay Area or the surrounding Norcal locations.

Maybe better luck next week.
Haha where are our carsss

Reactions: hkarthik and Dan. G
Hmm good question, I think it is only on the windshield but to be honest I have no idea if he tinted the roof or not, I can take a closer look, The back window is definitely tinted so its possible he did the whole thing.

Ah okay. Yeah I did one of the stickers for my wife's car, and haven't really had any issues after 2 years with it peeling or falling off. Although, putting a sticker on a car like this seems kind of cheap lol. I wonder if the shops that do the ceramic tinting also would be willing plasti dip the logos for a small extra fee?