Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance new 18 inch wheel option now avail 7/15/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes but it warns you that it is not recommended without the upgraded brakes and suspension. Lol

That's odd, my P3D- has no such statement. It says Track Mode "is designed to be used by experienced track drivers familiar with the course. Do not use on public roads."

It also says "Track Mode was designed for vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Package. Performance and endurance is comparatively lower without performance tires and brakes."

Nowhere does it say they don't recommend using it unless you have upgraded brakes and suspension. In fact, suspension is not even mentioned and the part about lower performance and endurance being less without performance brakes and tires is pretty much a given to anyone who understands the difference between the two. They didn't say "we don't recommend it".

Can you supply a source for that claim?

People need to take that into account when they're complaining about the new pricing. It's not the same car.

That's a good point that the complainers about price cuts never mention.

Our LR AWD also includes cellular connectivity and streaming Internet music service for the life of the car. And my P3D- came with lifetime free Supercharging. Tesla is just trying to make the car more affordable. Both of our Model 3's came with a proprietary Apple phone cord that has NEVER been used. That is a waste of resources. Now you can just buy the cord you want and Tesla can make a couple of bucks.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
3AF028B6-A898-4EB6-9173-47571F892E9D.jpeg
BC259289-6FCE-4A59-8AB5-EEFE2EF3E091.jpeg
That's odd, my P3D- has no such statement. It says Track Mode "is designed to be used by experienced track drivers familiar with the course. Do not use on public roads."

It also says "Track Mode was designed for vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Package. Performance and endurance is comparatively lower without performance tires and brakes."

Nowhere does it say they don't recommend using it unless you have upgraded brakes and suspension. In fact, suspension is not even mentioned and the part about lower performance and endurance being less without performance brakes and tires is pretty much a given to anyone who understands the difference between the two. They didn't say "we don't recommend it".

Can you supply a source for that claim?
You're right. I only saw it briefly at the SC when picking up the car so I didn't read it carefully enough. Probably the same screen all performance models see I take it?

At least this makes sense. Glad we got this clarified. So the table and Electrek is garbage.

Not to sidetrack things but Fred's (Elektek) journalism has to be taken with a grain of salt. He's always first to the punch when pushing out an article (and plenty of clickbait headlines to reel people in) but often with glaring errors, mis-interpretations, missing details or saying anecdotal things that haven't truly been confirmed yet because of some secondhand account based on some assumption that someone's friend heard and then drawing conclusions.

I find it hard to believe that the M3P- without the 20" Performance tires will have the same 0-60 as the M3P+ with.

Might I introduce you to an actual timeslip showing otherwise compared to one with the 20" tires?

The brakes on the P3D+ are also a lot, lot better than the standard brakes:

From MotorTrend:

Besides the variable-rate electricity-regenerative braking that uses the motors to slow the vehicle, the Model 3's traditional disc brakes haul the car from 60 to 0 mph in 99 feet, on par with some formidable performers. This ties the GT350R and Giulia Quadrifoglio from above, as well as two 2016 Cadillacs: the ATS-V and CTS-V. It's also shorter than a couple of 2016 BMWs: the M4 GTS and M3 Competition. Here are a few contemporaneous notes from the test track. "The Model 3 DMB has a very firm brake pedal, without much travel or feel, but the brakes are highly effective and consistent. I did one stop from 100 mph (the second one) and got them rather hot and a saw a puff of smoke when the car stopped. On the next pass, the distance shrank to the shortest stop (99 feet), so the brakes are capable of dissipating heat well. In order: 100, 105, and 99 feet."
When you chart the data (above), there's an absolutely straight line showing the car shedding speed in a linear fashion. Also, when looking at g-loads, there are no dips or spikes. It's pretty much 1.2 g from 60 mph down to a halt. —Chris Walton

2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance Quick Test Review - MotorTrend

Versus the Standard Brakes on 18" Aeros:

Our initial 2017 Tesla Model 3 full-ABS panic-stop measurement of 133 feet was indeed below average. But it didn't seem outrageous, especially given the characteristics of the standard 18-inch tires. They're hard (with a treadwear rating of 500), they run at an abnormally high tire pressure (45 psi), and their 235 mm tread width isn't generous considering the car's 3,884 pounds of weight.

Stopping Distance Retest After an ABS Firmware Update - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Or:

Tesla claimed an average of 133 feet in their own tests.

Tesla Model 3 stopping distance improvements confirmed in new test, Musk says UI/ride comfort improvements coming - Electrek

-------------------------

I've seen numbers in the low 120s for 60-0, too, but either way..., the brakes on the P3D+ I feel are more than worth it. They're simply excellent, and in an emergency braking situation the regular brakes are mediocre at best.

From MotorTrend:

Besides the variable-rate electricity-regenerative braking that uses the motors to slow the vehicle, the Model 3's traditional disc brakes haul the car from 60 to 0 mph in 99 feet, on par with some formidable performers. This ties the GT350R and Giulia Quadrifoglio from above, as well as two 2016 Cadillacs: the ATS-V and CTS-V. It's also shorter than a couple of 2016 BMWs: the M4 GTS and M3 Competition. Here are a few contemporaneous notes from the test track. "The Model 3 DMB has a very firm brake pedal, without much travel or feel, but the brakes are highly effective and consistent. I did one stop from 100 mph (the second one) and got them rather hot and a saw a puff of smoke when the car stopped. On the next pass, the distance shrank to the shortest stop (99 feet), so the brakes are capable of dissipating heat well. In order: 100, 105, and 99 feet."
When you chart the data (above), there's an absolutely straight line showing the car shedding speed in a linear fashion. Also, when looking at g-loads, there are no dips or spikes. It's pretty much 1.2 g from 60 mph down to a halt. —Chris Walton

2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance Quick Test Review - MotorTrend

Versus the Standard Brakes on 18" Aeros:

Our initial 2017 Tesla Model 3 full-ABS panic-stop measurement of 133 feet was indeed below average. But it didn't seem outrageous, especially given the characteristics of the standard 18-inch tires. They're hard (with a treadwear rating of 500), they run at an abnormally high tire pressure (45 psi), and their 235 mm tread width isn't generous considering the car's 3,884 pounds of weight.

Stopping Distance Retest After an ABS Firmware Update - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Or:

Tesla claimed an average of 133 feet in their own tests.

Tesla Model 3 stopping distance improvements confirmed in new test, Musk says UI/ride comfort improvements coming - Electrek

-------------------------

I've seen numbers in the low 120s for 60-0, too, but either way..., the brakes on the P3D+ I feel are more than worth it. They're simply excellent, and in an emergency braking situation the regular brakes are mediocre at best.

No, the difference in stopping distances between the two different configurations are all due to the tires, not the brakes. If you replace the all-season radials the Stealth P3D comes equipped with, with the sport tires supplied with the P3D with performance upgrade, you will get the same stopping distances.

Why do we need to keep re-hashing this?

They're better for repeated high speed stops but they probably don't stop you any faster in street use. I put PS4S tires on my AWD and my 60-0 stopping distance dropped to 105ft from 125ft (measured with VBOX sport). The brakes are plenty powerful enough to activate the ABS.

They're better for repeated high speed stops but they probably don't stop you any faster in street use. I put PS4S tires on my AWD and my 60-0 stopping distance dropped to 105ft from 125ft (measured with VBOX sport). The brakes are plenty powerful enough to activate the ABS.

I can show you a road around here that you will be able to stop that AWD Model 3 in only 95 feet or less (from 60 mph). But your tires will pay the price!

The brakes on the P3D+ are also a lot, lot better than the standard brakes

I would strongly urge you to read this article for a deeper understanding of why it's physically impossible for "bigger brakes" to stop the car any shorter than the stock regular ones do in such tests, and why the entire difference in stopping distance you cite is the difference in the tires.

GRM Pulp Friction

Reactions: StealthP3D
LOL, just seemed crazy not to include those cables as they're so cheap to make. Oh well...just the inconvenience that I'm annoyed about, not so much that I have to pay to get them.

Tesla sells them for $14.

Let's say they only cost Tesla $5 (I don't mean unit cost, I mean total cost to not just source/buy them but insure each car gets the proper ones for delivery, etc).

By not including them they save $5 per car- and they're hoping to sell over 300,000 Model 3s this year- but let's say just 300k... that's a savings of 1.5 million dollars not including em.

And let's say half the owners buy them anyway- that's 150k times $9 profit each sale, another 1.35 million in profit.

Those #s are even bigger for them leaving out the sells-for-35-bucks 14-50 adapter

Reactions: StealthP3D
I would strongly urge you to read this article for a deeper understanding of why it's physically impossible for "bigger brakes" to stop the car any shorter than the stock regular ones do in such tests, and why the entire difference in stopping distance you cite is the difference in the tires.

GRM Pulp Friction

Yes, point take, but people here just want to save the money and get the 18s. They’re going to have poor stopping distances from the factory.