Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance (P3D) now officially 0-60mph in 3.3 seconds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Corrected after second look.

Same 3 versions for LR AWD. From the top,
- Performance with suspension improvements. (P+)
- Performance with standard suspension. (P-)
- Base LR AWD

Old: Model 3 LR (RWD)
New: (Apparently not available)

New: Model 3 MR (RWD)

Personally:

- Product line rationalization makes sense.
... Provides a lower-cost entry point with only four variants.
... Clear added value for each price increment.
... No hand-waving about how range compares between Dual Motor LR and RWD LR.

- Looking forward to enjoying the same acceleration in our P- as P+ drivers enjoy. Track mode would be nice, too.

- Model 3 LR RWD could become a Unicorn cherished by hypermilers.

Last edited:
Old: Model 3 LR Dual Motor Performance with Performance Upgrade Package (PUP or P+)
New: Model 3 LR Dual Motor Performance

Old: Model 3 LR Dual Motor Performance (P-)
New: Model 3 LR Dual Motor

Old: Model 3 LR Dual Motor
New: (not available, see above)

Old: Model 3 LR (RWD)
New: (Apparently not available)

New: Model 3 MR (RWD)

Personally:

- Product line rationalization makes sense.
... Provides a lower-cost entry point with only three variants instead of the previous four
... Clear added value for each price increment
... No hand-waving about how range compares between Dual Motor LR and RWD LR.
... No hand-waving about over-the-air transformation from Model 3D LR to Model P3D LR.

- Regret paying premium for Model 3 LR Dual Motor "Performance" when same specs are now Model 3 LR Dual Motor.
?_?

maybe stiffer suspension
Suspension on the P3D+ is great, smoother and even takes bumps and corners better than any other car I've ever personally owned or driven for that matter, even with the low profile tires.

I've driven plenty of cars with higher profile tires which couldn't take potholes or bumps nearly as graceful as P3D+.

Did I mention how much I love my car?...:rolleyes:

Reactions: ZeroRider
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Unfortunately not.

“We asked Tesla if the quicker acceleration time is due to updated software or hardware, but the automaker says that it is not the case.”
Tesla starts advertising quicker 0-60 mph acceleration for Model 3 Performance
That would seem to cover the bases ... unless Tesla just flipped a switch on the currently installed software and that is not called an update ?

"Does the 3.3 seconds 0-60 time include roll-out ?" is the more direct question.

There are threads out there stating Tesla did just that, and slowed the car down with a software update:
There's no truth to these.

That would seem to cover the bases ... unless Tesla just flipped a switch on the currently installed software and that is not called an update ?

"Does the 3.3 seconds 0-60 time include roll-out ?" is the more direct question.

Flipping a switch would be software, and from everything we know they are simply using rollout specifically with the performance model.

This is pretty simple.

On S/X all non-P vehicles list 0-60 without rollout (ie the real life 0-60 time) and the P models list 0-60 WITH rollout (the sexy car magazine number with 1 foot rollout that isn't how 0-60 works in real life).

The Model 3, until this week, listed all versions with the real life 0-60... 5.1, 4.5, and 3.5 respectively (and now 5.6).

Starting this week they've switched the P3 to use rollout like the P models of the S/X, thus knocking 0.2 off the posted time without actually being any faster.

No cars got faster, or slower, they just switched to magazine numbers instead of real world ones on the P3, as they've always done for the S/X P models.

The only weirdness here is that every other car maker includes rollout for ALL their cars so it's easier to compare them fairly.

Tesla only does it on the P models to make the P look more "worth it" compared to the non-P

This is pretty simple.

On S/X all non-P vehicles list 0-60 without rollout (ie the real life 0-60 time) and the P models list 0-60 WITH rollout (the sexy car magazine number with 1 foot rollout that isn't how 0-60 works in real life).

The Model 3, until this week, listed all versions with the real life 0-60... 5.1, 4.5, and 3.5 respectively (and now 5.6).

Starting this week they've switched the P3 to use rollout like the P models of the S/X, thus knocking 0.2 off the posted time without actually being any faster.

No cars got faster, or slower, they just switched to magazine numbers instead of real world ones on the P3, as they've always done for the S/X P models.

The only weirdness here is that every other car maker includes rollout for ALL their cars so it's easier to compare them fairly.

Tesla only does it on the P models to make the P look more "worth it" compared to the non-P
I’m afraid so. With the advent of the 3, I thought Tesla was making everything consistent: 0-60 without rollout. At least it lasted for a while.

That said, I wouldn’t mind a future software upgrade that knocks off a few tenths. But the car already drives almost like Centauri’s in The Last Starfighter, so I can't complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightshade
This is pretty simple.

When I read that a “Website Update” made my car 0.2s faster I was dancing around in circles worshipping Tesla being able to accomplish the unthinkable. Now you are saying my car is not any faster? I won’t be able to sleep tonight. Thanks!