Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the tip on 3M. I was about to set an appt to get ceramic tint (xpel XR plus) and ceramic coating at a place highly recommended by a Dallas Tesla group. I did find a shop authorized for 3M tint so I’ll have to check them out first. They have good Google reviews but can’t find anyone else that has used them.
Is there that big of a difference bw normal ceramic tint and 3M, to your knowledge?
I wouldn't get too hung up on the 3M Crystalline brand. At some point, you will end up seeing almost a bad review for every good review, across the board. I had 3M Crystalline on my last car (2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe) and now have SunTekCIR on my M3P. I did go darker, from 70(Front)/50(Rear) on Honda - to 20% on all sides/back +80% on windshield...and the M3P is definitely cooler. I use a Covercraft sunshade in the windshield, too - and parked at work in Anaheim, CA through 80F-90F on cloudless days: Cabin Overheat protection only kicks in once between 7am-5pm.

What I based my choice of tint on, was more the Shop doing it and the quality of their work - the Tint and PPF have their warranties, and you pay enough, there's a level of quality that should be common in the products. What does either shop do to prepare your paint and glass prior to the applications? How does their garage look? Does it have a controlled ventilation system to cut down on lint/dust/hair? I would recommend you do go to a shop that has a lot of Tesla experience. If that shop for 3M doesn't have a good gallery of work on Teslas, I would stay away and go to where all the other Tesla people go. Maybe get quotes from both places and see if the $$ works out better for your budget, too.

My last bit - from what I remember on 3MCrystalline...a 20% in 3M would look lighter than 20% in another brand. So if you are also trying to get privacy out of the tint, you may have to go darker than what you would on a different brand.

Reactions: Chris B
I sold my car at Carmax today. My EDD is in the 2 week range, and I know nothing is certain. The used car market is insane, so I cashed-in before the party ends. I’ll be driving my old Trans Am toy in the Texas heat to bridge the gap. A/C is so-so.
I've been tempted to do the same. I enter my 2 week window tomorrow and have had some ridiculous offers on my 2015 MS. If I thought this 2 week window would stand I'd sell it today.

Reactions: 3geekfamily
So about a month in and I am loving this freaking car still. I am so glad i got the tint i think it makes a huge difference on the model 3s. I am still debating ceramic coating versus ppf and i am leaning ceramic. I want that wet shine and easy clean. I do not regret my purchase at all and i am already dreading the five year mark when i will have to hand the car down to the wife due to my companies car policy requiring a car within 5 year new. I will probably get another performance M3 depending on what is on the market at that point. Moral of the story is waiting was painful but I love old Blue and the wait was worth it. Hang in there #flatbroke!!

Attachments

• 4C9FD5B7-8DC8-413D-B62E-E995ED4ED473.jpeg
    4C9FD5B7-8DC8-413D-B62E-E995ED4ED473.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 4EC219A5-E978-4AC1-A18D-FC1E3D2CF2D6.jpeg
    4EC219A5-E978-4AC1-A18D-FC1E3D2CF2D6.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 6D990F7B-B742-4AD8-A269-180D270FC595.jpeg
    6D990F7B-B742-4AD8-A269-180D270FC595.jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 69
I wouldn't get too hung up on the 3M Crystalline brand. At some point, you will end up seeing almost a bad review for every good review, across the board. I had 3M Crystalline on my last car (2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe) and now have SunTekCIR on my M3P. I did go darker, from 70(Front)/50(Rear) on Honda - to 20% on all sides/back +80% on windshield...and the M3P is definitely cooler. I use a Covercraft sunshade in the windshield, too - and parked at work in Anaheim, CA through 80F-90F on cloudless days: Cabin Overheat protection only kicks in once between 7am-5pm.

What I based my choice of tint on, was more the Shop doing it and the quality of their work - the Tint and PPF have their warranties, and you pay enough, there's a level of quality that should be common in the products. What does either shop do to prepare your paint and glass prior to the applications? How does their garage look? Does it have a controlled ventilation system to cut down on lint/dust/hair? I would recommend you do go to a shop that has a lot of Tesla experience. If that shop for 3M doesn't have a good gallery of work on Teslas, I would stay away and go to where all the other Tesla people go. Maybe get quotes from both places and see if the $$ works out better for your budget, too.

My last bit - from what I remember on 3MCrystalline...a 20% in 3M would look lighter than 20% in another brand. So if you are also trying to get privacy out of the tint, you may have to go darker than what you would on a different brand.

Good points too. Getting a good quality Ceramic tint is better than having nothing at all.

The darker you go with ceramic tint, typically the higher the solar energy rejection it has, which could be why your car felt cooler. Either way, good results = win.

My EDD made a slightly odd move this overnight. I was sitting at a two week window, and now it moved forward to be just shy of two weeks. Good news that it's narrowing, or a bad sign of an impending push back?
Mine did the same. My two week window was supposed to start today but adjusted to a 12 day window starting Monday.

Some good news! just logged in an noticed I got my 2 week window. M3LR FSD OD June 5th/22 Switched M3P FSD June 10th/22 DD July 20th/Aug17th EDD July 30th-AUG 11th.
My EDD made a slightly odd move overnight. I was sitting at a two week window, and now it moved forward to be just shy of two weeks. Good news that it's narrowing, or a bad sign of an impending push back?
Mine did the same. My two week window was supposed to start today but adjusted to a 12 day window starting Monday.
That's a good sign - 12-day, 10-day, 4-day is a natural progression pattern. A day after my 2-week window opened, mine went down to an 11-day window. Then, a day before my 11-day window opened, I got a VIN and a 4-day Window that started right then. They even had my car ready to deliver later that same day. I told them no delivery - I wanted a full Tesla experience and picked up at our Delivery Center.

So about a month in and I am loving this freaking car still. I am so glad i got the tint i think it makes a huge difference on the model 3s. I am still debating ceramic coating versus ppf and i am leaning ceramic. I want that wet shine and easy clean. I do not regret my purchase at all and i am already dreading the five year mark when i will have to hand the car down to the wife due to my companies car policy requiring a car within 5 year new. I will probably get another performance M3 depending on what is on the market at that point. Moral of the story is waiting was painful but I love old Blue and the wait was worth it. Hang in there #flatbroke!!
I just did my first wash after a few weeks. Ceramic wax is an absolute game changer. I wish I knew about with my previous cars. Quick 15 minute wash and it looks perfect. 5 year warranty is huge too. I highly recommend if you have the means

I just did my first wash after a few weeks. Ceramic wax is an absolute game changer. I wish I knew about with my previous cars. Quick 15 minute wash and it looks perfect. 5 year warranty is huge too. I highly recommend if you have the means
I swear this is a major selling point (the fact you'll have a new hobby of meticulously washing and keeping your car in top shape). I've got close to $2K in my Tesla Amazon shopping list and a majority of it is mini-addons and cleaning/protection/etc stuff. Been spending a ton of time watching detailing videos on how to correct wash/clean and the various products used. I feel like there's something spiritual about washing your own car, throw on some tunes and drown the world (and the stuck on bugs) out.