Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I could tolerate the clunky tech in the other competitors. Probably won’t find another EV with as much innovation, performance, and tech until Apple releases theirs a few years from now.

I don't get why people actually Tesla's are higher tech than legacy automakers. Are a lot of you coming from Honda Civics and Toyota Camrys? There are things I like about my M3P but I don't recall a new car purchase where I have spent so much time thinking "I sure miss that feature", "why did they do this?", "this isn't ideal", etc. These cars are severely lacking in creature comfort and infotainment tech compared to the competition. Things like moving glove box opener or wiper controls to an LCD screen isn't innovative or high tech. It's just cost cutting. This car is largely like stepping back 10 years from my last two BMW's in tech. My wife's Genesis GV70 has 10x the tech and features of my model 3. Brands like Mercedes already have level 3 autonomy while people still keep filling Elon's pockets with $$$ for his level 2 autonomy scam. It really didn't take long for legacy automakers to catch Tesla and surpass them in a lot of areas. The clock is ticking on this company's good fortunes as while their battery and motor tech is great, that will only take you so far.

Last edited:
I don't get why people actually Tesla's are higher tech than legacy automakers. There are things I like about my M3P but I don't recall a new car purchase where I have spent so much time wishing the car had this or that. These cars are severely lacking in creature comfort and infotainment tech compared to the competition. Things like moving glove box opener or wiper controls to an LCD screen isn't innovative or high tech. It's just cost cutting. This car is largely like stepping back 10 years from my last two BMW's in tech. My wife's GV70 has 10x the tech and features of my model 3.
Tesla's screen are fast and smooth. Which makes them better than most auto makers. But everything else, most auto makers do better. Just something as simple as alerting me in my mirror if someone is in my blind spot is industry standard. But Tesla also moves that to the screen, in a poor way. When you buy a Tesla, you are buying a great battery and some good tech.

Tesla's screen are fast and smooth. Which makes them better than most auto makers. But everything else, most auto makers do better. Just something as simple as alerting me in my mirror if someone is in my blind spot is industry standard. But Tesla also moves that to the screen, in a poor way. When you buy a Tesla, you are buying a great battery and some good tech.
Yeah the screen is snappy for sure and it works well for the most part but a lot of controls are buried in menus and to be fair a lot of other automakers are reducing the amount of buttons as BMW is moving climate controls to LCD in their newer models. Lack of blind spot monitoring is annoying for sure as is the lack of 360 camera. I expect in the coming years as the competition increases Tesla will be forced to start adding these features but I think they should be a little more proactive here as brand loyalty is key for a lot of automakers and the reality is that most people purchasing these cars are doing so because they are more widely available than other EV's and a lot of owners have one foot out the door treating these cars like transitional vehicles while waiting for legacy offerings to become more widely available.

I just want to be clear that I like my Tesla but I'm not over the moon happy about the shoddy build quality at the price point and the fact that the car feels unfinished like it's still in beta stages with all the missing features that modern cars have today.

Reactions: unlock
Yeah the screen is snappy for sure and it works well for the most part but a lot of controls are buried in menus and to be fair a lot of other automakers are reducing the amount of buttons as BMW is moving climate controls to LCD in their newer models. Lack of blind spot monitoring is annoying for sure as is the lack of 360 camera. I expect in the coming years as the competition increases Tesla will be forced to start adding these features but I think they should be a little more proactive here as brand loyalty is key for a lot of automakers and the reality is that most people purchasing these cars are doing so because they are more widely available than other EV's and a lot of owners have one foot out the door treating these cars like transitional vehicles while waiting for legacy offerings to become more widely available.
BMW and their heated seats monthly subscription is annoying. Bad sign for the future.

I don't get why people actually Tesla's are higher tech than legacy automakers. Are a lot of you coming from Honda Civics and Toyota Camrys? There are things I like about my M3P but I don't recall a new car purchase where I have spent so much time thinking "I sure miss that feature", "why did they do this?", "this isn't ideal", etc. These cars are severely lacking in creature comfort and infotainment tech compared to the competition. Things like moving glove box opener or wiper controls to an LCD screen isn't innovative or high tech. It's just cost cutting. This car is largely like stepping back 10 years from my last two BMW's in tech. My wife's Genesis GV70 has 10x the tech and features of my model 3. Brands like Mercedes already have level 3 autonomy while people still keep filling Elon's pockets with $$$ for his level 2 autonomy scam. It really didn't take long for legacy automakers to catch Tesla and surpass them in a lot of areas. The clock is ticking on this company's good fortunes as while their battery and motor tech is great, that will only take you so far.
Agree 100%. Honestly, the Performance and Plaid models are the only things that still stand out from the industry, since there's nothing that performs as well (or has the range they do) in their price points.

That said, if you think back to when hybrids were becoming a thing, everyone bought a Prius. Why? Simple - if you were buying a Prius, everyone KNEW you were driving a hybrid, because you couldn't get a Prius any other way. That's going to be the way people view Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc. for a long time to come. Most people will buy the Tesla simply so everyone knows they're driving an electric vehicle... wouldn't want to be mistaken for some pleb with a 430i when you're driving that i4!

BMW and their heated seats monthly subscription is annoying. Bad sign for the future.
I saw that and it made me laugh. The only caveat that I saw is that you have the option to buy their use outright at the time of purchase or if you decline then you can do the monthly subscription. Reminds me of my SR+ having heated backseats if I wanted to pay a stupid amount of money to activate them.

Totally agree, I came from a 2017 Toyota Prius Prime Limited with more tech, it does have traffic follows, BSM and more, that car even has SELF Parallel parking, and CROSS TRAFFIC Alert, the stupid Tesla need auto pilot package to do self parking and still to this day has no CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT.

Just received this text...
Screenshot_20220728-114647.png