Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered Blue/Black on Friday. Had some online chats with Tesla during the week to address some questions. They called me on Thursday to let me know they are seeing regions of the country that are now seeing the Jan-Feb dates start to push to Mar-Apr, so I may want to get in the queue soon (I'm in the Northeast). They said they wouldn't be surprised to see my region spill into Mar-Apr. I've been in line for a Cadillac Lyriq since last summer, but that isn't likely for another year (AWD) and missed out on the $7500 incentive since it was classified as a SUV and is thus well over the $55K cap. NJ also offers a 2K incentive on the 3 ($45K-$55K price point) along with no sales tax. Suddenly the M3P is ~$20K under the Lyriq depending on where pricing with new model tiers lands on the '24 Lyriq AWD. Different cars entirely, but I've always been a sedan guy anyway. At some point I will get another set of rims for a snows. Winters in NJ have been pretty tame, but I don't trust summers under 40 degrees is sketch (AWD or not). Had a Chevy SS that was a tank on snows, trusted it in anything.
Also consider that just because you have an order in for the Lyric - especally with GM - you don't have a price locked in. Your dealer may also decide to put a market 'adjustment' on the vehicle that you ordered and try to get anywhere from $5-25k more just becasue - so your M3P may end up being $40-50k less than the Lyric.

So last week, I decided to impulse buy an M3P with the tax break now in play, at $47K after the tax break, it felt like a cheap car to own. I moved quickly and put down a deposit on an inventory car in white/black. Unfortunately I had to move money that wasn't going to settle in time and my delivery date was too early with no option to delay on that car, so I'm back in the queue. Initially went from Jan 18-23 and now it's "jan-feb".

Reactions: Travis64
So last week, I decided to impulse buy an M3P with the tax break now in play, at $47K after the tax break, it felt like a cheap car to own. I moved quickly and put down a deposit on an inventory car in white/black. Unfortunately I had to move money that wasn't going to settle in time and my delivery date was too early with no option to delay on that car, so I'm back in the queue. Initially went from Jan 18-23 and now it's "jan-feb".
My bet is you will have it very soon. Production is ramping at all USA Tesla Mfg factories. The initial price drop got a lot of folk who were on the fence to execute and others who we either waiting for other EV's on order (ID4, EV6, Ioniq 5 and etc) to cancel their orders and move to a Tesla.

Tesla is lowing ahead to beat last quarters build numbers - so full steam ahead on production. M3P is a rocket ship on wheel. The hit from 0-60 is so much faster than a M3LR its crazy.

My bet is you will have it very soon. Production is ramping at all USA Tesla Mfg factories. The initial price drop got a lot of folk who were on the fence to execute and others who we either waiting for other EV's on order (ID4, EV6, Ioniq 5 and etc) to cancel their orders and move to a Tesla.

Tesla is lowing ahead to beat last quarters build numbers - so full steam ahead on production. M3P is a rocket ship on wheel. The hit from 0-60 is so much faster than a M3LR its crazy.
Plus he is in Palo Alto. Pretty much next to the Tesla factory. Transporting time would be negligible.

Does anyone know if color has any impact on delivery date? E.g Is an ultra common color like white more or less likely to get a VIN than say blue? Do they assign a VIN as cars roll off the line or do they literally paint your specific car whatever color you ordered?

Ordered a white M3P on 1/21. I’m in south Texas. I wanted red - but it’s not worth $2000 + $7500 (although I still considered it!). I might cancel and reorder a red M3P if it looks like the car will miss the tax credit delivery window.

I wonder how many people will cancel outright if their delivery date slips into March.

Does anyone know if color has any impact on delivery date? E.g Is an ultra common color like white more or less likely to get a VIN than say blue? Do they assign a VIN as cars roll off the line or do they literally paint your specific car whatever color you ordered?

Ordered a white M3P on 1/21. I’m in south Texas. I wanted red - but it’s not worth $2000 + $7500 (although I still considered it!). I might cancel and reorder a red M3P if it looks like the car will miss the tax credit delivery window.

I wonder how many people will cancel outright if their delivery date slips into March.
White and Gray appear to be the colors filling lots now. Red is sweet looking too - just not as common given the $2k color fee and will pass the threshold for the current IRA EV $7,500 (being $55,990 + shipping/freight). Really is your choice - both are nice, and I'd bet you get either before March.

Also - IMO, they may push the details of the IRA EV bill down the road a bit - as it just doesn't appear to be a priority right now. So may be they will extend the time and revamp the entire IRA EV details. Anything can happen.

Some options will push the car over $55k thus not qualifying it for the tax benefits. for M3P colors black and red do that. Also getting the white interior with anything other than white does it . I would think if they give you a VIN this is your specific car as spec'd by you. The March deadline is dependent on Dpt of transportation clarification of rules about the battery manufacturing location. The way I understand it the car is made in the US makes for $3,750 Fed rebate. Battery qualifying for made in the US adds another 3,750. As far I understand there is no specific date in March. It can be any date. Pushing the price over $55k you out of the rebate outright. At least this is my understanding.

On top of that there are state rebates as well that pretty much follow the Fed rebate rules so check in your specific state. I know in MA where I am they are one more benefit.

Cheers

White and Gray appear to be the colors filling lots now. Red is sweet looking too - just not as common given the $2k color fee and will pass the threshold for the current IRA EV $7,500 (being $55,990 + shipping/freight). Really is your choice - both are nice, and I'd bet you get either before March.

Also - IMO, they may push the details of the IRA EV bill down the road a bit - as it just doesn't appear to be a priority right now. So may be they will extend the time and revamp the entire IRA EV details. Anything can happen.
Yes with the change of guard in Congress as well they want to make their stamp. Either way it helps the economy as pushes the goal of more EV's
So let's jump on the bandwagon :)

I as well have a M3P on order since 1/16. Gray with black interior. Delivery date is Feb 9- March 9th.
I did receive one email from Tesla that my Tesla order is confirmed and to proceed with my delivery tasks (I had not finished my registration part).
I did and now in the app everything is done up until the Schedule step.

Not sure if that means I am closer or anything else for a VIN to be assigned.

Anyone else ordered around the same time and are in the Northeast of the USA? any news?

The waiting game is on

PS: I checked when I got the text from Tesla and it was Jan 16th.. so 7 days on the calendar (well I ordered at 8:30 pm EST)

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Hi all. I have a white M3P on order as of 1/17. Delivery date is set on feb2 to march 2, how much longer until i receive vin number? any one with similar order date as me?
I ordered white M3P on 1/13, got the VIN 4 days later and picked up today in Chicago area.

Mine originally said Jan-Feb when I ordered.

I think you’ll get the VIN soon, any day now.

Reactions: PdxAmp and nickg_6
Car delivered this am.

What a F’ing nightmare. The appointment was meaningless. Waited an hour. Will update you on the process.

9 days order to delivery.

Car is wonderful. But. Can’t log into streaming service. Car pulls right a little. It’s always something.

Attachments

• 7BE14C72-C6AB-42E6-A3A8-B942BD07D740.jpeg
    7BE14C72-C6AB-42E6-A3A8-B942BD07D740.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 93