Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a M3P since Dec '19. Even though I'm in TX, it's been below 45F plenty of times. Car drives fine. Just don't do stupid stuff. Would I want them for a whole NY winter, no. But they don't turn into ice bricks at 45F.
100%. I drove my corvette all winter with summer only tires, no problems. Yeah , there’s less traction but you still have to put your foot in it to get it sideways.

100%. I drove my corvette all winter with summer only tires, no problems. Yeah , there’s less traction but you still have to put your foot in it to get it sideways.
Did you actually have snow/ice, or just cold weather?

We got a freak temp drop/snow dusting once that put the smallest amount of snow on the roads. My WRX was useless with the summer tires on it.

Summer tires in the winter/cold perform poorly with traction, but also wear prematurely as well.

Reactions: dgoodlan
Related question.

We got a freak temp drop/snow dusting once that put the smallest amount of snow on the roads. My WRX was useless with the summer tires on it.

Summer tires in the winter/cold perform poorly with traction, but also wear prematurely as well.
yeah, that’s a good point. The vette being a rear wheel drive high hp car with 335 summer only tires did not ever see snow or ice, only very cold temps and road surfaces. The lack of grip was very noticeable but was manageable with the right foot.

For me, I’ll drive with the summer only tires until they wear out and then I’ll switch to all season tires. If it gets too squirrelly then I’ll drive my wife’s car.

Summer tires are fine in the cold/dry, unless we're talking trackday tires, or like 0F weather.
There's just less grip when it's cold, with any tire. I would not hesitate to drive on summer tires if it were like 30F and a dusting of snow or a bit of slush, cause the snow will melt under the weight of the car, and the tire will grip fine. Deeper snow/slush can become a problem.

As it pertains for taking delivery, I would absolutely take one if it were dry/cold. And a bit of snow (<0.5" not all at once) with temps near freezing is also fine in states where main roads are treated with salt. It'd just be a bit wet.

I did drive home on OEM Pirellis the other day in 30F dry weather with no issues. I did, however, move my delivery day up from today, to avoid a ~2" snow day and having to bring and install a set of winter tires.

Summer tires are fine in the cold/dry, unless we're talking trackday tires, or like 0F weather.
There's just less grip when it's cold, with any tire. I would not hesitate to drive on summer tires if it were like 30F and a dusting of snow or a bit of slush, cause the snow will melt under the weight of the car, and the tire will grip fine. Deeper snow/slush can become a problem.

As it pertains for taking delivery, I would absolutely take one if it were dry/cold. And a bit of snow (<0.5" not all at once) with temps near freezing is also fine in states where main roads are treated with salt. It'd just be a bit wet.

I did drive home on OEM Pirellis the other day in 30F dry weather with no issues. I did, however, move my delivery day up from today, to avoid a ~2" snow day and having to bring and install a set of winter tires.
That’s really good to know. I’m picking one up tomorrow and it’ll be just over 30 degrees. Luckily avoiding snow today and Wednesday.

I still wish they’d deliver the car with the winter tires instead in cold climates. They sell the same wheels with winter tire package, why not use those in the winter?

That’s really good to know. I’m picking one up tomorrow and it’ll be just over 30 degrees. Luckily avoiding snow today and Wednesday.

I still wish they’d deliver the car with the winter tires instead in cold climates. They sell the same wheels with winter tire package, why not use those in the winter?
20" wheels are a pretty bad choice for winter tires though. When driving in the dark on an evening commute on deteriorating US roads full of potholes, you want at least some sidewall to absorb the potential impact. I rock 18" wheels, plenty of 19" options as well.

And personally, I'd rather buy something decent like Michelin Crossclimate2 all-seasons rather than get the Pirelli Sottozero 3 that Tesla is selling. The latter are "performance winter" tires, not good for serious snow/ice to begin with, probably not better than the CC2 in mild snow, and pretty subpar in the other three seasons. Don't know who's buying those off Tesla.

At least the OEM wheels/summer tires are good to mount later on, when you sell the car ;)

My STi was not able to drive up my driveway in CT it was about 100 yards but not too steep with less than an inch of snow. The car ended up 60 degrees across the driveway spinning all 4 tires in a dusting of snow.. Next time (a month ) I got me some Nokian Hakkapeliittas (non studded) and the car just yawned up the drivaway with 3 inches of snow. I was a believer from that point on. Please don't drive your car with summer tires in inclement conditions. Summer tires have the tendency to give up randomly when colder temp. You can drive anywhere and after a while they will warm up to act ok but they are hard as hockey pucks and similar performance. I lived in CA (Bay area) and never put anything but summer tires on my cars (WRX and STi) but after I moved back east I never had anything less than summers and winters. I religiously switched them Thanksgiving and Easter.

Now can we like move my delivery date earlier than Feb 9th please:) I promise I will not drive in the snow in MA down the Cape :)

Cheers

Reactions: Travis64
because i check the app for updates constantly now, all days, all hours :)
is that Portland ME? or OR? I thinking it will be a bit of a trek to ship cars from CA to the east coast if you are in ME. I am on the same boat but ordered the 17th so the waiting game is on. let us know when you get any updates. Do you know which Tesla service center you are picking the car from?

20" wheels are a pretty bad choice for winter tires though. When driving in the dark on an evening commute on deteriorating US roads full of potholes, you want at least some sidewall to absorb the potential impact. I rock 18" wheels, plenty of 19" options as well.

And personally, I'd rather buy something decent like Michelin Crossclimate2 all-seasons rather than get the Pirelli Sottozero 3 that Tesla is selling. The latter are "performance winter" tires, not good for serious snow/ice to begin with, probably not better than the CC2 in mild snow, and pretty subpar in the other three seasons. Don't know who's buying those off Tesla.

At least the OEM wheels/summer tires are good to mount later on, when you sell the car ;)
Yeah, agreed. I actually don’t even really want 20” in the summer because I’ve always got potholes to deal with. I’m really happy with Crossclimate 2 on my current car. I think I’m going to get 19” wheels with the Crossclimate 2’s but I’m also considering maybe getting narrower 18” with real winter tires. I wish it was easier to figure out what’ll fit.

What’s the width of your wheel & tire?

is that Portland ME? or OR? I thinking it will be a bit of a trek to ship cars from CA to the east coast if you are in ME. I am on the same boat but ordered the 17th so the waiting game is on. let us know when you get any updates. Do you know which Tesla service center you are picking the car from?
Oregon..no idea about the service center though i know there is one within 15miles of me.

Ordered Blue/Black on Friday. Had some online chats with Tesla during the week to address some questions. They called me on Thursday to let me know they are seeing regions of the country that are now seeing the Jan-Feb dates start to push to Mar-Apr, so I may want to get in the queue soon (I'm in the Northeast). They said they wouldn't be surprised to see my region spill into Mar-Apr. I've been in line for a Cadillac Lyriq since last summer, but that isn't likely for another year (AWD) and missed out on the $7500 incentive since it was classified as a SUV and is thus well over the $55K cap. NJ also offers a 2K incentive on the 3 ($45K-$55K price point) along with no sales tax. Suddenly the M3P is ~$20K under the Lyriq depending on where pricing with new model tiers lands on the '24 Lyriq AWD. Different cars entirely, but I've always been a sedan guy anyway. At some point I will get another set of rims for a snows. Winters in NJ have been pretty tame, but I don't trust summers under 40 degrees is sketch (AWD or not). Had a Chevy SS that was a tank on snows, trusted it in anything.

Yeah, agreed. I actually don’t even really want 20” in the summer because I’ve always got potholes to deal with. I’m really happy with Crossclimate 2 on my current car. I think I’m going to get 19” wheels with the Crossclimate 2’s but I’m also considering maybe getting narrower 18” with real winter tires. I wish it was easier to figure out what’ll fit.

What’s the width of your wheel & tire?
Not sure there's much benefit from slightly narrower tires, unless you go WRC-style super narrow studded tires ;) I have a set of CC2s in OEM 18" and a set of proper winter tires in 235/50/18, both on FastEV EV01's

Reactions: KTS80