Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know what at this point any change is a welcome change; it’d at least reassure me I’m somewhere in their active queue!

I received an email requesting insurance info a week or two ago (even though I already uploaded my Cali insurance info) and got unreasonably excited.

Looking forward to see that 5->6 change!

I'm also in CA, have also submitted insurance, have also received the same email -- and was also excited to get it. My window is 2/26-3/25. I hope we're both in receipt in February, but given that we're in CA I suspect we're looking at mid to late March.

Reactions: Avn1284
For those thinking the battery issue is limited to extremely cold temps see below post from the battery sub forum:

I've done comparable tests today @ 30°C Cell Temp Mid with the same results:
-Base voltage at 30% and 20% SoC is identical with Björns video.
-Voltage Sag is identical at all SoC below 40% -> A short burst down to 280 and then steady 295V lower limit.

For those thinking the battery issue is limited to extremely cold temps see below post from the battery sub forum:

I've done comparable tests today @ 30°C Cell Temp Mid with the same results:
-Base voltage at 30% and 20% SoC is identical with Björns video.
-Voltage Sag is identical at all SoC below 40% -> A short burst down to 280 and then steady 295V lower limit.

... And now I'm back to thinking I should delay my delivery. This is depressing....

Same, but I'm confused why the video I linked yesterday shows no real performance degradation from 100% to 29%
Battery temp was likely VERY different in the two cases, and I'd bet that's related. One case was in the middle of norway during the winter, and battery temp was down to 15-C or thereabouts. The other was in some place actually sunny, I'm guessing california. No battery temps provided, but battery temp was likely not needed to keep the cabin warm.

You guys talking about the battery constantly need a hobby. Bjorn is clearly bored and makes these super technical youtube videos to over analyze everything as if Tesla is unaware or won't provide fixes sooner than later. You can't control what you can't control. Most of you don't even have your car yet, just relax!

Reactions: TBrownTX
You guys talking about the battery constantly need a hobby. Bjorn is clearly bored and makes these super technical youtube videos to over analyze everything as if Tesla is unaware or won't provide fixes sooner than later. You can't control what you can't control. Most of you don't even have your car yet, just relax!
This is a completely different problem than battery performance. This is showing that the 2021 M3P is outperformed by both an LR and a 2019 M3P at lower SOC hence calling into question why you would pay 10k more for one. Very relevant of you ask me. However this will become a problem for every Model 3 as the switch to the Panasonic low cobalt pack is completed.

Reactions: Avn1284 and Venom

While I agree with some of the sentiment in your comment, a forum for a specific vehicle is kind of the perfect place to discuss this no? Also, one could describe EV and research of their own EV as a type of hobby.

Reactions: Avn1284 and Venom
Yes, I totally hear you -- I just didn't want everyone to get bummed out and psych themselves out of their new to-be-delivered cars!
Originally I was having a really tough time deciding between the LR and Performance, but if the LR is faster than the Performance at less than 40% SoC, why did I waste my money on a Performance model?

If this is only during winter, I can live with that. However if I have to live with this all year round, I'm going to pause until this is resolved.

I believe us being bummed out is justifiable.

Reactions: clerks and muhteeus
Originally I was having a really tough time deciding between the LR and Performance, but if the LR is faster than the Performance at less than 40% SoC, why did I waste my money on a Performance model?

If this is only during winter, I can live with that. However if I have to live with this all year round, I'm going to pause until this is resolved.

I believe us being bummed out is justifiable.
Sadly, it’s not even that simple as choosing between the LR and the P because the LR will be getting the low cobalt packs as well (if it hasn’t already). So this is basically a bit of a mess which seems to be tied to the software being deployed on the new Panasonic packs rather than a temperature issue - if the test done this am is any indication.

Sadly, it’s not even that simple as choosing between the LR and the P because the LR will be getting the low cobalt packs as well (if it hasn’t already). So this is basically a bit of a mess which seems to be tied to the software being deployed on the new Panasonic packs rather than a temperature issue - if the test done this am is any indication.
The good news is that the guy who's video I linked yesterday is going to upload a new video showing 0-60 times from 30% to 10%. He said he'd upload it either tonight or tomorrow.