Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i got an estimate to install my tesla wall charger. 1700 bucks to install?? Seems pretty damn high. I just put solar on the house so they would be going from one exterior panel with conduit about 30 feet to the front corner of my house and mounting. What has everyone else paid? Is this the norm?
quoted 300 for the install but mine was like 1 feet from the main breaker.

To install a 14-50 I was quote $1500, $500, and $1100. The two higher quotes informed me that the $500 quote would be dangerous and not pass inspection. I went with the $1100 quote.

My price was high because the breaker box in my garage didn't have space for another 50 amps. So they had to do a duplicate-electricianwordstuff in the outside breaker box and run the wire through the crawl space and into the garage. My 14-50 is literally touching the breaker box in my garage--just bad luck that it couldn't handle another 50 amps.

So it all depends. Your cost will be higher than a 14-50 install because the Tesla connector has to be hardwired.
The work around on the Wall connector is to get a NEMA 14-50 plug end used like on RVs and/or Ovens and wire the male plug end into the Wall Connector. Then plug the wall connector into an installed 14-50 outlet which is supplied off a circuit breaker/panel. Lots of YouTube vids on how to do that. I almost went this route, so if I move from my rental, I can take the wall connector with me and just leave the 14-50 NEMA outlet.

I still may take the wall connector with me if I move, it's just shutting off the circuit breaker to the wall connector, then opening it up to disconnect the internal wires and capping them off.

Greetings All,

I've been hanging out in the shadows for the past couple of weeks, mainly to cut down on the compulsive app refresh. Reading the messages here has definitely made me feel like I am not the only passenger on the emotional roller coaster that is the Tesla delivery process.

Specs: M3P Blue/Black, No FSD, Virginia

OD: 5/27 (motivated by an obscene service bill on my 3-series BMW)
Web EDD: Jun - Aug
1st EDD: Mid July - Mid August (can't recall dates exactly)
2nd EDD: 6/24 - 7/8 (feeling good)
Current EDD: 7/30 - 9/3 (feeling bad; suspicious that it changed an hour after I accepted my trade-in)

#Vin-lessInVirginia
#JusticeForFlatbroke
Welcome. I feel for you and understand your suspicion. I had a two week window in May. A couple days after I locked a loan, prior to Vin, I got bumped a couple days later. Now I’m in July-August. I wish I never did the loan lock and Waited for the vin. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Welcome. I feel for you and understand your suspicion. I had a two week window in May. A couple days after I locked a loan, prior to Vin, I got bumped a couple days later. Now I’m in July-August. I wish I never did the loan lock and Waited for the vin. Hindsight is always 20-20.
Yeah the lack of transparency regarding the impact of profile steps versus order date as the main determinant for queue position is mind boggling. I figured given that I had the two week window and had received a text asking about the trade-in that I ought to complete that step but given the timing of the EDD change its hard to shake the feeling that the trade-in stuff had some impact. I suppose it could all be coincidence but I definitely wish that I had gone with the "cash/no-trade in" pre-VIN approach that everyone seems to recommend. So it goes.

Reactions: julit0
Yeah the lack of transparency regarding the impact of profile steps versus order date as the main determinant for queue position is mind boggling. I figured given that I had the two week window and had received a text asking about the trade-in that I ought to complete that step but given the timing of the EDD change its hard to shake the feeling that the trade-in stuff had some impact. I suppose it could all be coincidence but I definitely wish that I had gone with the "cash/no-trade in" pre-VIN approach that everyone seems to recommend. So it goes.
I would wonder if two people ordered the same car at the same time. And one filled out all the pre-delivery steps and the other did nothing, would it matter at all on EDD and actual delivery. This is my 3rd Tesla, I would suspect that would give me some sort of boost, but who knows. Certainly not us.

I would wonder if two people ordered the same car at the same time. And one filled out all the pre-delivery steps and the other did nothing, would it matter at all on EDD and actual delivery. This is my 3rd Tesla, I would suspect that would give me some sort of boost, but who knows. Certainly not us.
Oh, does filling out the steps in the app (trade-in and financing) move you up? I was going to wait.

Yeah I agree.

I dont remember ever getting one for my MY. I am not sure if Tesla wants to know TBO.
They certainly don't appear to GAF about customer service. Though successful, their business model is a strange one. They pride themselves on the buying experience but honestly it's kind of shitty, afaic.

My local Tesla store has no vehicles available for test drives. Tesla doesn't have dealerships so they don't have salesmen. Any time I go there all of the employees are in the back yucking it up. What exactly do they do? How do they not have time to answer a simple question? It makes no sense to me that I've waited 2 days and counting for a reply from them. I don't mean to interrupt their busy day, but sheesh, you'd think spending $65k would get you a little bit of attention. Hell, the $250 deposit alone should be enough reason for them to reply to questions. I've never had to beg anyone from Audi/BMW to get back to me. I haven't even got my car yet and I'm already planning on replacing it with an A6 Etron in a couple of years.

...maybe I've just been spoiled and have unreasonable expectations...

Thanks, I changed my answers to those questions. Hope I didn't screw myself. Had no idea you could change them later lol
Don't worry too much about it right now. You're so close to the end of Q2, you probably would be in Q3 anyways. You may see some improvement from your current EDD, so just wait for the dust to settle a bit. Also, understand that between now an then, there will be folks with LR orders that may switch to Performance - and if they ordered before you, they will get the earlier build and push your down the order a little. It happened on Q2 for quite a few here.

Even though I had put No Trade during the early days, I (and you) will still get a text from Tesla asking if you have a Trade-in. It was about 2 weeks before I got my VIN. I put in my trade-in info at that point and got an offer a couple days later. I let that sit for a week while I was waiting for another offer from Honda, from whom I was leasing. Tesla checked in with me every other day almost to either accept or reject the offer. Kinda weird - but then I did see how it can influence the generation of your MVPA and other documents. So my advice on Trade-in: Have a good number in mind of what you want to get for that, so if Tesla gives you a good offer, you can either accept or reject soon after.

They certainly don't appear to GAF about customer service. Though successful, their business model is a strange one. They pride themselves on the buying experience but honestly it's kind of shitty, afaic.

My local Tesla store has no vehicles available for test drives. Tesla doesn't have dealerships so they don't have salesmen. Any time I go there all of the employees are in the back yucking it up. What exactly do they do? How do they not have time to answer a simple question? It makes no sense to me that I've waited 2 days and counting for a reply from them. I don't mean to interrupt their busy day, but sheesh, you'd think spending $65k would get you a little bit of attention. Hell, the $250 deposit alone should be enough reason for them to reply to questions. I've never had to beg anyone from Audi/BMW to get back to me. I haven't even got my car yet and I'm already planning on replacing it with an A6 Etron in a couple of years.

...maybe I've just been spoiled and have unreasonable expectations...
I know 5 people who bought EVs. One bought a Tesla. The rest have heard the horror stories and for 60k its not worth it. The other manufactures are going to be just fine going forward.

The Tesla QC and delivery experience is the worst. Literally.

Reactions: Flatbroke and Brou