Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone figured out the theory behind Tesla's regional delivery strategy? It seems that they overwhelm all their transport contractors, delivery center staff, and post-delivery repair staff with these highly focused surge deliveries. Why not just send a few truckloads in every direction every day?

They don't have a ton of manufacturing capacity - in theory, they want to deliver all the orders by the end of the quarter. They can wait until the end of the 2nd month to even consider california because getting a car delivered in california takes 2 days from Fremont. It might take 2-3 weeks to get across the country.

If they were able to build enough to fulfill demand across the country, that strategy would work. Unfortunately, there is more demand than there is capacity so they have to fulfill off the further distance.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Has anyone figured out the theory behind Tesla's regional delivery strategy? It seems that they overwhelm all their transport contractors, delivery center staff, and post-delivery repair staff with these highly focused surge deliveries. Why not just send a few truckloads in every direction every day?

I think the biggest constraint is production. Goal is to get as many cars produced as possible, per quarter. Deliveries stacking up is OK so long as those lines keep rolling!

Tim

Off topic but anyone here having second thoughts in light of the battery controversy first reported by Bjorn on YouTube and being discussed here and elsewhere? My M3P is a month old and I probably would have elected not to purchase had I known.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModel...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Yep, I’ve definitely been having second thoughts, 0 - 100 km/h of 14s at a SoC of 10% is a ridiculous, but fortunately it’s fixable through an OTA update.

It’s mostly due to the fact that Performance has the Panasonic battery, where as the LR has the LG which performs better in colder temps. I’ve been tempted to switch to the LR, but I need the Performance acceleration!

My plan is to never let it get below 20% anyway. I’ll charge it to 90% each night.

Yep, I’ve definitely been having second thoughts, 0 - 100 km/h of 14s at a SoC of 10% is a ridiculous, but fortunately it’s fixable through an OTA update.

It’s mostly due to the fact that Performance has the Panasonic battery, where as the LR has the LG which performs better in colder temps. I’ve been tempted to switch to the LR, but I need the Performance acceleration!

My plan is to never let it get below 20% anyway. I’ll charge it to 90% each night.
Did you see how much more poorly the 2021 M3P performs compared to the 2019 M3P after 70 SOC? It seems to be a bigger issue than below 20 percent. The 2021 is way down in power once you get below 70.

I tend to think they're being conservative with the new battery in the wild. Probably gathering more data points and will improve performance on charging and discharge in the future. Maybe wishful thinking. Between this and the $7k potential tax credit, I have been thinking a bit...

Speaking of data, ordered white/black Model 3 performance on 2/1, no VIN yet, delivery shows 3/16 - 3/31 in CT.

Did you see how much more poorly the 2021 M3P performs compared to the 2019 M3P after 70 SOC? It seems to be a bigger issue than below 20 percent. The 2021 is way down in power once you get below 70.

Yep it’s sad, I really hope Tesla addresses this soon.

I tend to think they're being conservative with the new battery in the wild. Probably gathering more data points and will improve performance on charging and discharge in the future. Maybe wishful thinking. Between this and the $7k potential tax credit, I have been thinking a bit...

Speaking of data, ordered white/black Model 3 performance on 2/1, no VIN yet, delivery shows 3/16 - 3/31 in CT.

Same here. If it were one or the other I wouldn’t really care too much, but having both the potential of a Tax Credit and the battery issue is seriously making me consider pausing…

However, the tax credit could be offset with a price increase, although this seems unlikely since not everyone can qualify for the Tax Credit. Also, the battery issue can be fixed with an OTA update.

I’m unsure what I’m going to do right now, but for now I’m going to wait it out and see if there’s any news on the Tax Credit in the next 2-3 weeks. Hopefully there will be some news on the Panasonic battery + heat pump acceleration issue as well.

Yep it’s sad, I really hope Tesla addresses this soon.

Same here. If it were one or the other I wouldn’t really care too much, but having both the potential of a Tax Credit and the battery issue is seriously making me consider pausing…

However, the tax credit could be offset with a price increase, although this seems unlikely since not everyone can qualify for the Tax Credit. Also, the battery issue can be fixed with an OTA update.

I’m unsure what I’m going to do right now, but for now I’m going to wait it out and see if there’s any news on the Tax Credit in the next 2-3 weeks. Hopefully there will be some news on the Panasonic battery + heat pump acceleration issue as well.

im no expert but it’s not clear that a software fix is going to solve the problem. The battery chemistry is different. It seems the jury is still very much out on this. Also at least one person on Reditt has been told by Tesla that this is not a problem even thought it’s been verified and replicated in Europe. It may not be more than a service advisor but before we get a fix, we need Tesla to admit it needs to be fixed. Anyhow, I’ll stop posting on this here but I was interested in how prospective buyers feel about this. I’m feeling pretty duped atm. The idea that the 2019 is massively more powerful across various SOC is pretty disappointing.

im no expert but it’s not clear that a software fix is going to solve the problem. The battery chemistry is different. It seems the jury is still very much out on this. Also at least one person on Reditt has been told by Tesla that this is not a problem even thought it’s been verified and replicated in Europe. It may not be more than a service advisor but before we get a fix, we need Tesla to admit it needs to be fixed. Anyhow, I’ll stop posting on this here but I was interested in how prospective buyers feel about this. I’m feeling pretty duped atm. The idea that the 2019 is massively more powerful across various SOC is pretty disappointing.

I mean like Bjørn said in his video, it’s a simple fix via a software update. Just need the car to warm up the battery when it reaches a certain temp. That’ll solve the issue.

The real question is if Tesla will recognize the issue and do something about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: clerks