Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were you I would contact your service center and speak with the advisor. They have the capabilities to hold the vehicle for a few days or a week until payment has been received.
I spoke with my salesperson from the Tesla store, she told me that they would likely not hold the car beyond three days (!?). I called Tesla Delivery, and spoke to someone from the call center who said that he could extend it until Friday for me (thankfully).

All I can hope is that the check arrives before then, or else I'm going to have to get the loan through Tesla (I don't see another option). I'm also going to call PenFed on Monday, hopefully there is someone higher up who can provide some sort of solution, because this seems insane. They offered me the option of driving to San Diego to pick up a live check from their sole California branch (I'm in LA) - to which I happily obliged - until they retracted that option because the check was already in the mail.

Reactions: Rodney!
Brand new order to replace my unfortunately totaled M3P :( . Seems like delivery timelines have ramped up a lot as early march orders from elsewhere in this conversation are still showing June.

MN - White/White/No FSD/Cash (Szeth 2.0)

OD: 3/27
EDD #1: 3/28 - June/July 2022
EDD: #2 3/29 - 8/21-10/16
Updated
EDD#3: 6/08 - 7/20 far better than my original

I spoke with my salesperson from the Tesla store, she told me that they would likely not hold the car beyond three days (!?). I called Tesla Delivery, and spoke to someone from the call center who said that he could extend it until Friday for me (thankfully).

All I can hope is that the check arrives before then, or else I'm going to have to get the loan through Tesla (I don't see another option). I'm also going to call PenFed on Monday, hopefully there is someone higher up who can provide some sort of solution, because this seems insane. They offered me the option of driving to San Diego to pick up a live check from their sole California branch (I'm in LA) - to which I happily obliged - until they retracted that option because the check was already in the mail.
Keep in mind that this isn’t penfeds fault. Tesla‘s delivery model is utter garbage. Keep this in mind when/if you receive any kind of survey. This experience is supposed to be superior to buying at a dealership, and it’s far worse.

A little move to day

M3P White /Black no FSD. Charlotte NC

OD : 02/26
EDD : March
EDD : May 10- June 7 (02/27)
EDD : April 23 - May 28 (03/22)
EDD : April 18 - May 16 (03/30)
EDD : April 21 - May 2 (04/03)
Got an update yesterday and it went the wrong way...still wishing that we can get it in April 🤞
M3P White /Black no FSD. Charlotte NC

OD : 02/26
EDD : March
EDD : May 10- June 7 (02/27)
EDD : April 23 - May 28 (03/22)
EDD : April 18 - May 16 (03/30)
EDD : April 21 - May 2 (04/03)
EDD : May 4 - May 18 (04/09)

I got my VIN yesterday, and proceeded to get my loan through PenFed ....At first when speaking to PenFed I was told that the check was being overnighted, but it seems that whoever I spoke to was misinformed. Tesla called today to organize delivery, and with the overnighted check in mind I scheduled Tuesday at 10am..

I called PenFed today...... it was sent regular mail and will be with me within 7-10 business days.

ah, california... :cool: Us east coast guys have weeks to prepare because Teslas from Fremont take the slow boat to get here... PenFed is based out of the east coast, so mebbie they are used to the wait?!? 🤣

Seriously though, if you do not get the check in time and/or Tesla does not want to wait for delivery, you have a few options:

1) Finance through Tesla, drive her home. If rate is radically different, then perhaps refinance through PenFed afterwards?

2) Reject the car. That will put you into another rotation, but still ahead of many others.

The Credit Union I plan on going through is a 5 hour round trip drive for me. I plan on driving up and finalizing the paperwork in person, so I get the check in my hands. I will hand said check to the SA after a thorough inspection of my car. I prefer to not do a digital fund transfer, because I am hearing horror stories about people paying for cars and them rejecting them and Tesla not refunding in a timely fashion. If anything goes awry, I could just hand the check back to my CU and be done with it or start the process over with if/when a replacement car shows up.

One guy returned his X within the 7 day return window (apparently this was a thing a few years ago) and he has been paying the loan and insurance on the car for the last 2 years WITHOUT having a car...
Tesla returns were supposed to be easy, but this customer has been waiting more than 2 years for a Model X refund

• Funny
Reactions: Rodney!
M3P Black /Black no FSD. Las Vegas, NV

OD : 01/08
EDD : March 7- March 31
EDD : March 16- March 26
EDD : April 9- May 7
EDD : April 23 - May 7 (04/10)

Beyond frustrating wait here. Seems to be much longer than most peoples wait for Performance Models.
Yes, you are way past due... :oops: Did you put your order on hold at any point or change anything (color/upgrade from LR)? Also, trade/financing?

There has to be a reason why your order was overlooked....

Ok dealing with a somewhat stressful turn here and wondering if anyone has any experience that could help. I got my VIN yesterday, and proceeded to get my loan through PenFed (who I have used in the past for several cars without issues). At first when speaking to PenFed I was told that the check was being overnighted, but it seems that whoever I spoke to was misinformed. Tesla called today to organize delivery, and with the overnighted check in mind I scheduled Tuesday at 10am (hoping that it would arrive Monday, being sent out yesterday).

I called PenFed today to confirm that the check had been sent out, and to ask for tracking, but they told me that it was not overnighted, that they don't overnight auto loan checks, and that it was sent regular mail and will be with me within 7-10 business days.

My excitement for delivery has turned to utter stress, I've never had this issue with PenFed in the past (they always overnighted checks), has anyone had experience with them recently? Is it likely that I'll get the check earlier? And if it does take 7-10 business days, will Tesla wait that long to deliver my car?
I had an account with PenFed years ago. I called them and tried to reactivate it in case I took a loan through them. They asked for some personal identifying documents to verify my identity. I sent in what they asked and they still denied my membership. No sweat off my sack since I see they just raised their rates again.

Worst case scenario for you is you finance through Tesla and then refinance through your preferred lender since most refinance rates are just as good as getting a new loan. Don't stress yourself out over something you can't change (I have to relearn this life lesson constantly).

Another option I have is Delta Community Credit Union which my company partners with. They just dropped their rates to 1.38% up to 60 months, so that's a no-brainer now. If anyone has the option, I would go with them. You'll get a way better customer experience than through DCU (whose rates are now higher).

M3P Black /Black no FSD. Las Vegas, NV

OD : 01/08
EDD : March 7- March 31
EDD : March 16- March 26
EDD : April 9- May 7
EDD : April 23 - May 7 (04/10)

Beyond frustrating wait here. Seems to be much longer than most peoples wait for Performance Models.
It certainly looks like the system lost your order for a little there and then reinstated it. I would be pissed as well. Did you do financing or a trade when you ordered? I'm guessing you've had to redo both of them if so.

ah, california... :cool: Us east coast guys have weeks to prepare because Teslas from Fremont take the slow boat to get here... PenFed is based out of the east coast, so mebbie they are used to the wait?!? 🤣

Seriously though, if you do not get the check in time and/or Tesla does not want to wait for delivery, you have a few options:

1) Finance through Tesla, drive her home. If rate is radically different, then perhaps refinance through PenFed afterwards?

2) Reject the car. That will put you into another rotation, but still ahead of many others.

The Credit Union I plan on going through is a 5 hour round trip drive for me. I plan on driving up and finalizing the paperwork in person, so I get the check in my hands. I will hand said check to the SA after a thorough inspection of my car. I prefer to not do a digital fund transfer, because I am hearing horror stories about people paying for cars and them rejecting them and Tesla not refunding in a timely fashion. If anything goes awry, I could just hand the check back to my CU and be done with it or start the process over with if/when a replacement car shows up.

One guy returned his X within the 7 day return window (apparently this was a thing a few years ago) and he has been paying the loan and insurance on the car for the last 2 years WITHOUT having a car...
Tesla returns were supposed to be easy, but this customer has been waiting more than 2 years for a Model X refund

Rejecting the car is a great call - my big concern was losing out and having to re-order at the new prices (and wait a few more weeks).

I'm going to call PenFed tomorrow morning, hopefully they can cancel the check in the mail and I can drive to San Diego and pick one up in person. Failing that, I'll probably just finance through Tesla and refinance later on.

This whole situation is extremely frustrating, within the span of about 48 hours I went from expecting the car in a couple of weeks to being told that I have three days to pick it up. I was supposed to travel to the UK this week, and I'm so glad I didn't because then I would've been in a properly tough position.

Rejecting the car is a great call - my big concern was losing out and having to re-order at the new prices (and wait a few more weeks).

I'm going to call PenFed tomorrow morning, hopefully they can cancel the check in the mail and I can drive to San Diego and pick one up in person. Failing that, I'll probably just finance through Tesla and refinance later on.

This whole situation is extremely frustrating, within the span of about 48 hours I went from expecting the car in a couple of weeks to being told that I have three days to pick it up. I was supposed to travel to the UK this week, and I'm so glad I didn't because then I would've been in a properly tough position.
Having a solid person (Delivery Rep) contact at your delivery location is key.
I have asked to delay delivery up to 10 days and they were ok to reschedule. Did that last September and in March. I asked for rescheduling pick up because I am coming from out of state. Worked out fine both times.

They should consider your situation, and besides it's not the end of quarter rush - they have enough time to sell the car to the next buyer should you fail to pick up as rescheduled.

As always, YMMV.