Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my Pen Fed check never showed up (and it still hasn’t despite being approved over two weeks ago) Tesla took away my VIN and put me back in the queue. Last night I was showing a date range of 6/28 - 7/2 and this morning it’s 8/26 - 10/7.
Yikes! I just got approved on a draft from PenFed but my EDD window currently opens on 7/23. Hoping I have time to get it before the car arrives! PenFed was very upfront with me saying they don’t do expedited mail any more and to allow 7-10 business days for the check to arrive. Sounds like you’ve allowed that and then some! Have you reached out to their customer service? Did you also consider just going with Tesla financing and refi with PenFed? Their refi rates are the same as their normal rates.

I did, but they kept saying it was sent out from Oregon and therefore should make it to CA pretty quickly. So I didn’t want another hard pull if the check was going to show up anyway. Didn’t end up working out.

Due to my experience I had my wife finance her Y through Alliant CU. Went from approval to funds being wired to Tesla within two days. And the rate was 10 bps lower than what PenFed was offering when I applied.

If you don't already have a tint spot lined up, let me know. I will be using a mobile service that has done some friends and family member's cars. They are based out of San Jose and will travel to anywhere in the South Bay Area and a bit further. ~$400 for carbon & ~$500 ceramic all the way around and in your driveway/garage. Send me a message if you want their contact info!
I’m focusing on this aspect now just to get a good sense on fuel efficiency and cost comparisons…Probably best to use lifetime averages - as trip-to-trip, you may drive more or less conservatively. My work commute is 63 miles round trip 90% highway speeds (75-80 mph) and the rest surface streets. I use TACC and autopilot maybe 50% of the time, more so if roads are empty or flowing. TACC has been amazing in stop and go traffic, too. Averaging 3.57 mi/kWh
View attachment 823609
@julit0 Hey i was just wondering how blue looks to you after the full ppf wrap. I am also thinking about the gloss ppf for my blue and was curious if you could tell the difference after? Is it shinier? Thanks

Reactions: julit0
@julit0 Hey i was just wondering how blue looks to you after the full ppf wrap. I am also thinking about the gloss ppf for my blue and was curious if you could tell the difference after? Is it shinier? Thanks
I’ll post this for the group…just another for #teamblue. I think the paint looks more “wet” and a higher gloss, but not a shiny glare kind of issue either.

I’m part of #TeamBlue and have PPF lined up on the 9th. Wondering how high I should go on the doors?

I just did the foam, 2 bucket wash, claybar, polish, prep, and ceramic coat it today. Nice and shiny!

Attachments

• 94F042A6-4BC0-462C-AE07-1095011148BD.jpeg
    94F042A6-4BC0-462C-AE07-1095011148BD.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 72
I’m part of #TeamBlue and have PPF lined up on the 9th. Wondering how high I should go on the doors?

I just did the foam, 2 bucket wash, claybar, polish, prep, and ceramic coat it today. Nice and shiny!
I didn’t think you could put PPF over a ceramic coat? The whole point of the ceramic coat is to keep anything from sticking to the car (including PPF).

Reactions: 3geekfamily
I don’t see why you can’t; it’ll still stick. It’s a film
Can always buffer down to apply if needed for said area(s)
PPF has 3 layers (once you remove the release liner), so yes there is a layer of film, but the bottom layer is an acrylic adhesive. Installing it over ceramic will not allow it to adhere properly, edges will lift etc. Assuming you used a consumer grade ceramic coating, you may be able to polish it off, but that’s a lot of work.

PPF has 3 layers (once you remove the release liner), so yes there is a layer of film, but the bottom layer is an acrylic adhesive. Installing it over ceramic will not allow it to adhere properly, edges will lift etc. Assuming you used a consumer grade ceramic coating, you may be able to polish it off, but that’s a lot of work.
I’ll let them clay and polish it off. I used Underdog

Cool. My Wrap shop included a Deionozed water wash, clay bar and paint correction prior to - so I only hand washed it just to see where I though any issues might be. I hope whoever is wrapping your car will be able to strip off your ceramic coat wherever they need. I would think Adhesion problems too. I intentionally didn’t wax or apply sealant because it went in for wrap 2 days later.

Im sure it’ll work out.

As far as height, wouldn’t you want to go at least to the bottom of the black trim of the doors/windows? Same for the rear quarter to the trim and where the trunk seam is. I went and got the whole car wrapped.

Reactions: t-rex266
Cool. My Wrap shop included a Deionozed water wash, clay bar and paint correction prior to - so I only hand washed it just to see where I though any issues might be. I hope whoever is wrapping your car will be able to strip off your ceramic coat wherever they need. I would think Adhesion problems too. I intentionally didn’t wax or apply sealant because it went in for wrap 2 days later.

Im sure it’ll work out.

As far as height, wouldn’t you want to go at least to the bottom of the black trim of the doors/windows? Same for the rear quarter to the trim and where the trunk seam is. I went and got the whole car wrapped.
I’m going to have them polish down the areas for PPF and then apply the PPF and I’ll ceramic over it. They should be able to do it. I just texted them

Reactions: julit0