Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such a shame they aren't picture perfect on delivery still. For an all-in 70K car this is super annoying although hopefully they fix them all for you. I am a little worried about scheduling PPF + Ceramic + Tint right away after I accept delivery now in case I need these things fixed but I think most places correct the paint before applying ceramics.
I absolutely agree. We shouldn't even need to nit-pick like this, because their own standards for putting a 70k car out on the lot for delivery should be more anal than 99.9% of the customers. It makes the experience more awkward and stressful to even need to have those conversations in the first place.

I'm sure the custom shop would correct the paint, but it shouldn't be their job either when it should have come out of the factory flawless. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were markups for paint correction beyond the clear coat, too.

Adjusting those bumpers (they're little threaded rubber posts on the frunk lid) did help bring it closer to being flush. However, I'm not convinced that that is the best way to achieve alignment. I would usually design something to be at least a few turns in at its nominal position, so that there would be a bit of wiggle room to optimize the alignment without a risk of the threaded object coming out of the hole. I wasn't really comfortable with how little thread would have been left in there if I had made it truly flush, so hopefully there's another degree of freedom that the service techs can adjust when I have my appointment in a couple weeks.

Got my VIN! One week after ordering! It went from estimated delivery of 11/6 - 12/5 to 10/18-10/25. So I am a little overwhelmed. My main question (for now) - it says I need to enter my insurance. I guess I am new to this - how do I get insurance for a car that I have not received yet? I am replacing the Tesla with a car on my policy so I am confused on the timing. I will call Geico tomorrow but I figured you experts would point me in the right direction.

Reactions: LorentzTorque
I absolutely agree. We shouldn't even need to nit-pick like this, because their own standards for putting a 70k car out on the lot for delivery should be more anal than 99.9% of the customers. It makes the experience more awkward and stressful to even need to have those conversations in the first place.

I'm sure the custom shop would correct the paint, but it shouldn't be their job either when it should have come out of the factory flawless. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were markups for paint correction beyond the clear coat, too.
It would be amazing, absolutely amazing, for the quality inspectors to have public Twitter accounts so that there's some sort of feedback and accountability pipeline between the customer and the people responsible for the quality of the car.

To wait months for a ~$70k car to be delivered to you, only to realize the car has defects severe enough to make you wonder how did it leave the factory is frustrating, to say the least.

Got my VIN! One week after ordering! It went from estimated delivery of 11/6 - 12/5 to 10/18-10/25. So I am a little overwhelmed. My main question (for now) - it says I need to enter my insurance. I guess I am new to this - how do I get insurance for a car that I have not received yet? I am replacing the Tesla with a car on my policy so I am confused on the timing. I will call Geico tomorrow but I figured you experts would point me in the right direction.
Check your policy but usually a new car is automatically covered even if not explicitly on the existing policy to give you time to move it over. Note Tesla's wording, where proof of coverage is required but only for the specific VIN in some situations. Basically if Geico covers new cars for a certain period without explicitly being on the policy, you can just send Tesla your existing policy.

I took delivery yesterday, and I am very happy with the car. I haven't had any occasion to floor it, but even a modest push of the accelerator is a gravitational thrill. It will take me some time to really master the regenerative braking, but it didn't take long at all to get comfortable with it. There's much more to learn about this car than any other car I've driven, and that comes with its ups and downs, but overall I love it.

View attachment 864605

There were a few minor cosmetic defects, but nothing big enough to reject the car over. I had them buff out some streaks & scratches in the clear coat (why was it even sent out like that, though???). There are some little scuffs on the edge of a tail light, one of the rear door seals is a little bunched up like it has some excess length, and there's a spot of what looks like an extra fleck of paint under the clear coat. The frunk is also not flush with the bumper (sunken in a bit) but that might just be a matter of adjusting the small bumpers on the frunk lid. Not sure yet. I've made a service appointment to take care of the issues, and hopefully they can take care of that little paint imperfection before the appointment I've made to get the PPF installed.

Regarding the ultrasonic sensors, I suppose if you're used to having them or if you often need to squeeze into tight spaces, your experience might be different than mine. I don't really feel like I'm missing much, though. I have a decent sense of where the front of the car ends, at least within the tolerances that matter for my situation, and the three rear-facing camera views give me much more insight into the rear and the sides than I've ever had. YMMV. I still think they shouldn't have removed them, or at least should have been more honest about the real reasons, but I'll be fine.

Thanks for all the insights, updates, and encouragement! I'll still check in here, but I'm happy to have finally graduated from the waiting room!

Congrats!!!!! So exciting!! Glad you finally received your car.

I can’t wait to make this same post!

Update :
OD: 9/3/22 white/white

9/3/22 Oct - Nov 2022
9/4/22 Nov 4 - Dec 16
9/10/22 Oct 23 - Nov 27
9/17/22 Sept 27 - Oct 8
9/20/22 VIN assigned. Sept 23 - Sept 30. Put on hold. Until beginning of oct. Auto ready beg of oct 22
10/02/22 VIN assigned. Oct 2 - Oct 9. Put on hold.
10/15/22 lifted hold. Nov 20 - Dec 25
10/1722 Oct 27 - Nov 5

Reactions: robe4658
Just received a text to schedule my delivery. I’m a bit skeptical though because I never received a text or email when I was assigned a VIN. No communication about the vehicle being shipped or anything either. I’m wondering if it’s an automated process thats initiated when you’re at X day of your EDD window. Regardless, I have a VIN and have scheduled my delivery, so I guess we’ll see. Hopefully this is it!

Hi all it's my first post here. My EDD just got updated again today but still no VIN assigned yet.

ODD: Sept 5th
1st EDD: Oct - Nov
2nd EDD: Oct 10th - Nov 6th

3rd EDD: Oct 16 - Oct 26th
Region: Los Angeles
Silver exterior, Black Interior, no FSD

Does this mean I will get my VIN soon?
Got VIN!
EDD Now Ott 24 - Nov 2

It would be nice to pickup from the factory for me. Since I didn't order the car through SA can I still contact them to schedule a factory pickup?
Yes. Have you received any text messages from Tesla? You can text them back to ask for help. In my experience, they became a bit more responsive once I got my VIN (i.e. same-day responses instead of several days, but still slow). I had to contact my SA to get it changed back from home delivery to factory pickup. Twice.

Reactions: nharwood
When do you get a text to schedule delivery? The car was shipped 10/13 and my delivery window is tomorrow 10/19 through the 28th. I have yet to receive a text am hoping to take delivery on Friday, the 21st.
Hmm. You didn't specifically say but I assume you did get a text about getting a VIN assigned? What date did you get that text? If you do have a VIN, you should have received a text asking you to schedule a delivery by now. My text about VIN assignment was on a Wednesday, I then purchased Tesla insurance that evening and by Thursday morning I was scheduling delivery for 10 days later (that was the earliest day).