Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from Tesla this morning asking me to "confirm" my appointment for home delivery tomorrow, despite having gone out of my way to secure a factory pick-up appointment for tomorrow afternoon. If they've already made this kind of change without consulting me (and specifically against my clearly stated wishes), how can I have any that my appointment will be kept at all, even if I can get them to put it back? Will I need to check every couple of hours to make sure they haven't changed it again? This would be unbelievable, but I guess we all know Tesla by now.

Reactions: nharwood
I have a M3P ordered in Red and see that there are a number of M3LR in Red available. Who can I email at Tesla to see if I can switch my order to LR from P? Is that possible.
I'm not sure if texting your SA or calling Tesla's customer service would be faster, but you can get them to assign an inventory car to your order. I don't think switching from LR to P is an obstacle, someone else here did the opposite. @jackb22 and @bossra95 could have some advice for you, since they both switched to inventory cars.

I'm not sure if texting your SA or calling Tesla's customer service would be faster, but you can get them to assign an inventory car to your order. I don't think switching from LR to P is an obstacle, someone else here did the opposite. @jackb22 and @bossra95 could have some advice for you, since they both switched to inventory cars.
I just texted the number from my order the link to the inventory car I wanted, and stated that I want that car matched to my account. They didn’t ask any questions, they did it in about 5 minutes.

Reactions: LorentzTorque
I have a M3P ordered in Red and see that there are a number of M3LR in Red available. Who can I email at Tesla to see if I can switch my order to LR from P? Is that possible.
I’m sure you have, but make sure you can register the vehicle you’re looking at in your state. I was watching the inventory and saw there was my EXACT M3P configuration sitting in NC…but the car could only be registered in NC/SC. 👎🏻

Obviously a bummer since it was exactly what I ordered, brand new sitting in inventory, but I couldn’t make the purchase. I would’ve booked a flight the same day! 😂

Last edited:
I called the customer service line since texting the order number didn’t get me a response. First person said I needed to place another order and the second person changed my pickup location to SC where the car was and it automatically assigned to me

Got a call from Tesla this morning asking me to "confirm" my appointment for home delivery tomorrow, despite having gone out of my way to secure a factory pick-up appointment for tomorrow afternoon. If they've already made this kind of change without consulting me (and specifically against my clearly stated wishes), how can I have any that my appointment will be kept at all, even if I can get them to put it back? Will I need to check every couple of hours to make sure they haven't changed it again? This would be unbelievable, but I guess we all know Tesla by now.
Update: I got them to change it back. They finally texted me back at ~5 pm (original issue was at about 9 am). I think they've been getting back to me at least somewhat faster since my VIN was assigned, but the silence still wasn't great, considering there was only about a day to get it sorted out. I'll definitely be checking it again in the morning to make sure it's still correct.

I guess the moral of the story is: keep your eyes on the details as you sort out the final logistics in case they try to switch things up on you. This could have been a big problem if I hadn't picked up for that unrecognized number this morning (I usually don't) and hadn't checked the order page and seen the change.

Last edited:
Hi all it's my first post here. My EDD just got updated again today but still no VIN assigned yet.

ODD: Sept 5th
1st EDD: Oct - Nov
2nd EDD: Oct 10th - Nov 6th

3rd EDD: Oct 16 - Oct 26th
Region: Los Angeles
Silver exterior, Black Interior, no FSD

Does this mean I will get my VIN soon?

Hi all it's my first post here. My EDD just got updated again today but still no VIN assigned yet.

ODD: Sept 5th
1st EDD: Oct - Nov
2nd EDD: Oct 10th - Nov 6th

3rd EDD: Oct 16 - Oct 26th
Region: Los Angeles
Silver exterior, Black Interior, no FSD

Does this mean I will get my VIN soon?
Will my car be a 2023 model or it just depends? I really don't get how Tesla makes 2022 and 2023 models at the same time.

Reactions: nharwood
I ordered it with Basic Autopilot but it says on the order page "Full Self Driving", price breakdown hasn't changed though. Anyone have this happen? Weird.

My EDD was Oct 29-Nov 10 and just updated earlier today to Oct 16-23
(OD Sept 26)
Mine said that (no FSD or EAP here), but it looked like it was just labeling the "Full Self Driving" section of the page where it gives you the option to upgrade. Is there an upgrade button below where it says that?

I took delivery yesterday, and I am very happy with the car. I haven't had any occasion to floor it, but even a modest push of the accelerator is a gravitational thrill. It will take me some time to really master the regenerative braking, but it didn't take long at all to get comfortable with it. There's much more to learn about this car than any other car I've driven, and that comes with its ups and downs, but overall I love it.

M3P_img.jpg

There were a few minor cosmetic defects, but nothing big enough to reject the car over. I had them buff out some streaks & scratches in the clear coat (why was it even sent out like that, though???). There are some little scuffs on the edge of a tail light, one of the rear door seals is a little bunched up like it has some excess length, and there's a spot of what looks like an extra fleck of paint under the clear coat. The frunk is also not flush with the bumper (sunken in a bit) but that might just be a matter of adjusting the small bumpers on the frunk lid. Not sure yet. I've made a service appointment to take care of the issues, and hopefully they can take care of that little paint imperfection before the appointment I've made to get the PPF installed.

Regarding the ultrasonic sensors, I suppose if you're used to having them or if you often need to squeeze into tight spaces, your experience might be different than mine. I don't really feel like I'm missing much, though. I have a decent sense of where the front of the car ends, at least within the tolerances that matter for my situation, and the three rear-facing camera views give me much more insight into the rear and the sides than I've ever had. YMMV. I still think they shouldn't have removed them, or at least should have been more honest about the real reasons, but I'll be fine.

Thanks for all the insights, updates, and encouragement! I'll still check in here, but I'm happy to have finally graduated from the waiting room!

I took delivery yesterday, and I am very happy with the car. I haven't had any occasion to floor it, but even a modest push of the accelerator is a gravitational thrill. It will take me some time to really master the regenerative braking, but it didn't take long at all to get comfortable with it. There's much more to learn about this car than any other car I've driven, and that comes with its ups and downs, but overall I love it.

View attachment 864605

There were a few minor cosmetic defects, but nothing big enough to reject the car over. I had them buff out some streaks & scratches in the clear coat (why was it even sent out like that, though???). There are some little scuffs on the edge of a tail light, one of the rear door seals is a little bunched up like it has some excess length, and there's a spot of what looks like an extra fleck of paint under the clear coat. The frunk is also not flush with the bumper (sunken in a bit) but that might just be a matter of adjusting the small bumpers on the frunk lid. Not sure yet. I've made a service appointment to take care of the issues, and hopefully they can take care of that little paint imperfection before the appointment I've made to get the PPF installed.

Regarding the ultrasonic sensors, I suppose if you're used to having them or if you often need to squeeze into tight spaces, your experience might be different than mine. I don't really feel like I'm missing much, though. I have a decent sense of where the front of the car ends, at least within the tolerances that matter for my situation, and the three rear-facing camera views give me much more insight into the rear and the sides than I've ever had. YMMV. I still think they shouldn't have removed them, or at least should have been more honest about the real reasons, but I'll be fine.

Thanks for all the insights, updates, and encouragement! I'll still check in here, but I'm happy to have finally graduated from the waiting room!
Such a shame they aren't picture perfect on delivery still. For an all-in 70K car this is super annoying although hopefully they fix them all for you. I am a little worried about scheduling PPF + Ceramic + Tint right away after I accept delivery now in case I need these things fixed but I think most places correct the paint before applying ceramics.