Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gonna leave it on - screwed down to the least sensitivity.
No disagreement there, but a couple of comments about the Tesla Zeitgeist.

So, on the one hand, and especially with a P, you're getting a serious driving machine. Great acceleration, good cornering, sort-of-track ready. Wanna zip on a curvy country road? This is the car you want.

Now, what about all that automation? Well... On the other hand, people are good at predicting stuff. As pointed out in one of your previous posts, being able to keep in one's brain where all the other cars/obstacles/cats/dogs/trees/curbs/etc are in your environment is something people can do. And, thinking about that a bit, of those that came before that couldn't do that, well, there's a reason those types aren't our ancestors. Because they got eaten or dinged by the landscape, first.

Well and good. But people still get taken by surprise. For one thing, our main distance sensor suite happens to be eyeballs. Unlike deer and similar whose eyes are on the sides of their heads (not so good binocular vision, but great for watching for cougars), ours are very much in front. Yeah, we got peripheral vision. Good drivers check those mirrors. And if one's smart, one kind of glances into the blind spots on either side when one can, and uses memory to track things moving in (and maybe out) of those areas.

But all that can be best described as, "Making the best of the bad hand that nature has handed one."

Now, a Tesla.. has got cameras all over the blame place. Front, rear, sides facing forwards, sides facing rearwards. It sure makes for great Youtube videos. But.. the car's not going to be taken by surprise, at least regarding stuff in those blind spots. It doesn't require a scan that hits the rear-view mirrors - it's looking all the time. Without a break. Ever.

Now, I'm one of the FSDb Testers. I'll freely admit that for a fair number of cases the car's reaction time to $RANDOM events, like taking a right at a stop sign, leaves something to be desired. But, if one is on a highway, the car's ability to spot (and sometimes overreact) to other vehicles in the blind spots is superior. Say one is in a lane and is thinking about moving over to the left; the car's definitely going to spot the person hovering or moving into the blind spot at lowish speeds; but it'll also spot and jerk the car to safety when some gonzo pulling 90 comes flying up from the rear.

There's Reasons that Tesla puts out that Safety paper that says that when people are using all the safety stuff the accident rate plummets. This isn't about crumple zones: This is about not getting into an accident in the first place.

Actually they have all Model Ys that qualify and don't. So Model 3P was specifically excuded from the list on purpose or by mistake

The Model Y has the SUV / Not SUV shenanigans.

The Model 3 RWD / AWD / P is just a plain sedan and the only threshold is the < $55,000. That's the only requirement for it to qualify, as least the vanilla performance.

So basically just the white / white or grey / black qualify.

The Model Y has the SUV / Not SUV shenanigans.

The Model 3 RWD / AWD / P is just a plain sedan and the only threshold is the < $55,000. That's the only requirement for it to qualify, as least the vanilla performance.

So basically just the white / white or grey / black qualify.

While it's true that M3P white/gray/blue (not black or red) would fall under the $55K MSRP, the Fed website doesn't list the M3P as an eligible vehicle. Hopefully an oversight that will be soon corrected.

I ordered a blue on black M3P which is just under the $55K cap and am expecting to get the federal tax credit. Tesla's site says it will be eligible for the $7,500 credit and don't see any reason for it not to be eligible. I placed the order and paid the $250 last night but the loan information was not approved until later today. I'm wondering if I'm in line from when I placed my order or if I'm in a spot based off when I accepted the loan agreement this afternoon.

Reactions: RobC2
Scheduled for pick up next week!!
A0ABEEA6-2A17-421B-8B8B-427F20585E5D.jpeg

What are you guys buying for snow tires?
I want to get new rims with the tires but those tsport ones are about 3k crazy
Knock on wood, but I’m hoping I can make it the rest of this season in southeast PA without an issue. I would like more time to plan on my winter setup for next winter. I’m hoping the relatively quite season thus far continues, although I’m sure now we will get a blizzard…

Would like to get this vehicle ASAP. Delivery I just scheduled which was first available is Jan27th in Houston. I bought from inventory, in the estimates since my order it had said Jan17-26. Does anyone know if there is a way to move up delivery appointment or whom I'd ask? I'm trying 800 number but thats usually doesn't help much.

Knock on wood, but I’m hoping I can make it the rest of this season in southeast PA without an issue. I would like more time to plan on my winter setup for next winter. I’m hoping the relatively quite season thus far continues, although I’m sure now we will get a blizzard…
Me to but i hear anything colder then 45 these things have no traction,not worth the risk

It’s up to govt/irs if it qualifies
Don’t they have rules to follow when they decide whether a particular model qualifies? I don’t think they are allowed to arbitrary decide to disqualify any models (like screw that Musk guy for the twitter files, but I like that other CEO who donated for my campaign so I’ll make sure all his cars qualify).
I don’t see how they would not qualify M3P, it must be an oversight that it is not listed.