Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats. I loved having a Tesla way more than expected and charging is great. Right now the non Tesla EV charging is so terrible I would go ICE if not Tesla. Doesn't matter how great a competitors EV is if charging sucks. Maybe in a few years that's better and I'd consider another brandyiu

you have it right. If the charging experience is woeful it does not matter the best EV car. People will not be happy. Rightnow Tesla is heads and shoulders above the rest. I as well picked Tesla for that reason. But there are more. The way they update over the air. Even the existence of the update. the performance. A few other things that escape me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacO512
My bet is you will have it very soon. Production is ramping at all USA Tesla Mfg factories. The initial price drop got a lot of folk who were on the fence to execute and others who we either waiting for other EV's on order (ID4, EV6, Ioniq 5 and etc) to cancel their orders and move to a Tesla.

Tesla is lowing ahead to beat last quarters build numbers - so full steam ahead on production. M3P is a rocket ship on wheel. The hit from 0-60 is so much faster than a M3LR its crazy.
Yep, got my VIN and paid this morning! Now waiting to schedule delivery.

There is a tremendous amount of inventory in Phoenix & Tucson right now - Model 3 and Model Y - the Y has several performance models with red and blue and black if thats what you are looking for - and - an amazing variety of grey and white Standard Model 3's - or at least there were last night. . . .
The performance models likely are sitting due to their ineligibility to qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. Gotta be white with either interior color, blue or silver with black interior.

Reactions: MacO512 and nickg_6
you have it right. If the charging experience is woeful it does not matter the best EV car. People will not be happy. Rightnow Tesla is heads and shoulders above the rest. I as well picked Tesla for that reason. But there are more. The way they update over the air. Even the existence of the update. the performance. A few other things that escape me.

Yeah these other brand EV's are basically unusable outside small city trips or very detailed expertly planned longer trips. Hop in a Tesla, navigate to where you want to go and it does everything for you.

OutofSpec had reports of the Electrify America technician - they have one tech for all their chargers in the state of Colorado. To repair a station he has to contact the manufacturer; as Electrify America buys 5 differents brands of hardware that could be one of 5 companies. Then once manufacturer allows him access he can open a charger to diagnose problem. He usually won't have parts to fix it so needs to order it. When it was super cold last month every single brand new Electrify America charger (many dozens of them) stopped working. All the EA apps said the chargers were working, so drivers kept being routed to them and stranded. The EA tech said to fix he just "waits for temperatures to warm up" and chargers will work again, which took over a week. Well that doesn't help you if you need a charger that is off for days and and your stranded having to scramble for a hotel. I'd sell my non Tesla if that crap happened to me. Compare that experience to the Tesla techs for superchargers, they get eveything fixed ASAP. I've seen them drive a temporary charging semi that they plugin next to the spaces and provides 8 additional superchargers to be setup in a single day if the site will be down.

Non Tesla charging is a total joke right now. Its probably 5-10 years behind China and Europe. The hardware they're installing now is horrible as well. The Biden EV charging bill is being wasted on groups buying purely for tax credit, slow home speed chargers, subsidies, with no requirements to build legit reliable level 3 chargers.

The only real hope non Tesla EV has is if Tesla starts opening up some of their charging stalls or adding a few extra CCS spots at their chargers. If Tesla does it right; they may have a way to build a near monopoly on the charging, if they can figure out how to not cause issues for Tesla vehicles owners as well.

Yeah these other brand EV's are basically unusable outside small city trips or very detailed expertly planned longer trips. Hop in a Tesla, navigate to where you want to go and it does everything for you.

OutofSpec had reports of the Electrify America technician - they have one tech for all their chargers in the state of Colorado. To repair a station he has to contact the manufacturer; as Electrify America buys 5 differents brands of hardware that could be one of 5 companies. Then once manufacturer allows him access he can open a charger to diagnose problem. He usually won't have parts to fix it so needs to order it. When it was super cold last month every single brand new Electrify America charger (many dozens of them) stopped working. All the EA apps said the chargers were working, so drivers kept being routed to them and stranded. The EA tech said to fix he just "waits for temperatures to warm up" and chargers will work again, which took over a week. Well that doesn't help you if you need a charger that is off for days and and your stranded having to scramble for a hotel. I'd sell my non Tesla if that crap happened to me. Compare that experience to the Tesla techs for superchargers, they get eveything fixed ASAP. I've seen them drive a temporary charging semi that they plugin next to the spaces and provides 8 additional superchargers to be setup in a single day if the site will be down.

Non Tesla charging is a total joke right now. Its probably 5-10 years behind China and Europe. The hardware they're installing now is horrible as well. The Biden EV charging bill is being wasted on groups buying purely for tax credit, slow home speed chargers, subsidies, with no requirements to build legit reliable level 3 chargers.

The only real hope non Tesla EV has is if Tesla starts opening up some of their charging stalls or adding a few extra CCS spots at their chargers. If Tesla does it right; they may have a way to build a near monopoly on the charging, if they can figure out how to not cause issues for Tesla vehicles owners as well.
I'll just say that I've had a non Tesla EV for over five years and needed to fast charge is a whopping total of 3 times. Never with issue. Most EV drivers don't fast charge, they charge at home or work. Plus, there is the whole Tesla opening up the Supercharger network to everyone thing that makes this all pointless. Already happened in Europe. Coming to America. Don't know about other places.

For a couple hundred miles or more trip in the winter even with a Teska you would need to fast charge unless you have the M s long range etc. also if they have L2 charging at your destination which for an EV would excruciating slow.

Example I visit my daughter who is around 135 miles each way. She does not have L2 charging so I would have to fast charge. I do it once every 1-2 months.

I know many folks use their cars around town less than 50 miles radius. Then yes fast charging would be quite rare.

Are your cars coming with Matrix headlights? Not sure if all performance cars now come with matrix or not.
Why
I have no clue about mine. How would i check?
Matrix lights have a ellipsoid lens on the outer edge, if you see something that looks like a glass ball in yours, that's the matrix light. The non matrix lights do not have a visible lens inside the housing, they use faceted reflectors to focus the light and the LEDs are actually mounted to the top of the housing and reflect back into the reflectors. All model 3s should have the matrix lights now, I don't know why people are freaking out about it. If you are still extra not sure, do the holiday light show, and only the matrix lights have the ability to project the word 'TESLA' in front of the car (make sure you're in front of a vertical surface within like 10 feet).
The vehicle avatar in the app actually reflects which headlights you have, once you know what to look for.

Here is something unsettling I'll share. Tesla texted me suggesting I check out the available inventory to get a model 3 sooner. I responded that "no m3Ps in available inventory qualify for the $7500 tax credit." They responded that no M3P qualifies for the tax credit. I then told them that the Tesla website specifically said "Your design qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit for eligible buyers," and shared the screen shot. (I ordered a white M3P with black interior for $53,990.)

Anybody else hear from Tesla that all M3Ps do not qualify? This will be a giant mess for Tesla if they say on their website that it qualifies when their staff knows it does not qualify. That's very deceptive.

The Tesla Advisors have not respond to my texts.

Tesla.png

Here is something unsettling I'll share. Tesla texted me suggesting I check out the available inventory to get a model 3 sooner. I responded that "no m3Ps in available inventory qualify for the $7500 tax credit." They responded that no M3P qualifies for the tax credit. I then told them that the Tesla website specifically said "Your design qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit for eligible buyers," and shared the screen shot. (I ordered a white M3P with black interior for $53,990.)

Anybody else hear from Tesla that all M3Ps do not qualify? This will be a giant mess for Tesla if they say on their website that it qualifies when their staff knows it does not qualify. That's very deceptive.

The Tesla Advisors have not respond to my texts.

View attachment 899442
M3P will qualify if it’s under $55K MSRP (Without TTL and Freight). What the SA meant, “No M3Ps in AVAILABLE INVENTORY QUALIFY FOR THE $7500 tax credit” due to exterior color and interior color config (Already built inventory). Obliviously it’s not White exterior and black interior. Base is $53,990 (exterior colors from $1k-$2k non-white and white interior is $1k). very Few combinations will meet that $55k threshold.

Have no fear, my bet is your M3P will be built soon. Most are focusing on MY and M3 (LR/SR) right now that qualify for the $7.5k (if you personally qualify tax wise).

1674602548581.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MacO512