Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got screwed over by Tesla on a demo vehicle. I ordered a demo vehicle right when I saw it come in inventory. MSM M3P with White interior for 54k. It was under the 55k tax credit limit. When I got the final order agreement, it showed 55,900 for MSRP and then a $1960 price adjustment underneath that. This made it not qualify for the tax credit. I called the dealer, and he basically said go F yourself on the $250 fee, you're not getting it back. I claimed it was falsely advertised at 54k for "vehicle price", and he made a point of "that's the vehicle price, not MSRP." Although, nowhere on the website does it list MSRP. I feel scammed. I told him that anyone purchasing right now is doing so to get the tax credit, and anyone that sees a vehicle listed under 55k is going to assume that it meets the tax credit. NOT being informed of the price adjustment after MSRP UNTIL you put your order in is complete bullshit.

Please do not fall for this scam and lose your $250. Thankfully, I still have another on order from 1/15, but I was trying to secure one earlier.

Reactions: Travis64
I just got screwed over by Tesla on a demo vehicle. I ordered a demo vehicle right when I saw it come in inventory. MSM M3P with White interior for 54k. It was under the 55k tax credit limit. When I got the final order agreement, it showed 55,900 for MSRP and then a $1960 price adjustment underneath that. This made it not qualify for the tax credit. I called the dealer, and he basically said go F yourself on the $250 fee, you're not getting it back. I claimed it was falsely advertised at 54k for "vehicle price", and he made a point of "that's the vehicle price, not MSRP." Although, nowhere on the website does it list MSRP. I feel scammed. I told him that anyone purchasing right now is doing so to get the tax credit, and anyone that sees a vehicle listed under 55k is going to assume that it meets the tax credit. NOT being informed of the price adjustment after MSRP UNTIL you put your order in is complete bullshit.

Please do not fall for this scam and lose your $250. Thankfully, I still have another on order from 1/15, but I was trying to secure one earlier.
This is rough. It does say on the IRS website that the credit is based on MSRP and not the actual price you pay. Normally for Tesla, this distinction doesn't matter as the MSRP is what you pay. You are buying from the manufacturer.

If you really want to fight this, you could dispute the charge with your credit card. I'm not sure you'll win, but I don't know if there would be a downside to fighting it.

Got my car! Took only 10 minutes to do my trade-in.
PMP4Daq.jpg

This is rough. It does say on the IRS website that the credit is based on MSRP and not the actual price you pay. Normally for Tesla, this distinction doesn't matter as the MSRP is what you pay. You are buying from the manufacturer.

If you really want to fight this, you could dispute the charge with your credit card. I'm not sure you'll win, but I don't know if there would be a downside to fighting it.
I'm definitely going to dispute it. I don't see why there would be downside. They should have advertised that this isn't the MSRP price. Nowhere on Tesla's website does it state that.
His only argument was that "A message will pop up that says 'this vehicle qualifies for the tax credit', and this one didn't say that", but I told him that the IRS doesn't go off of Tesla's "notice", it goes off of if the vehicle is under 55k, which this one was listed under that.

Ordered my M3P on 1/14, blue with black interior. Got my VIN on 1/24 and scheduled delivery for 1/29. Haven't made final payment yet, I hope Tesla enables the option soon in the app! Financing through my credit union, hope I have time to get the payment made. Fingers crossed!

This doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing out of state dealer, since you can't buy a Tesla in Michigan.

What was the price adjustment for? Demo miles? If so, that means it was a more expensive Tesla and they are paying you for incurred mileage. This is similar to buying a house for 150k and the seller giving you a $10k concession for a new roof. The purchase of said house is still 150k.

This doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing out of state dealer, since you can't buy a Tesla in Michigan.

What was the price adjustment for? Demo miles? If so, that means it was a more expensive Tesla and they are paying you for incurred mileage. This is similar to buying a house for 150k and the seller giving you a $10k concession for a new roof. The purchase of said house is still 150k.
Yea it was in Cleveland, but it never stated the price adjustment before purchasing. It just stated "Vehicle price 54,030". You can go see for your self. I cancelled the order. Type in 48323 for zip code and select new model 3 performances. You'll see the silver one, and how it's listed. I could see how anyone would think this is under the 55k threshold.

Yea it was in Cleveland, but it never stated the price adjustment before purchasing. It just stated "Vehicle price 54,030". You can go see for your self. I cancelled the order. Type in 48323 for zip code and select new model 3 performances. You'll see the silver one, and how it's listed. I could see how anyone would think this is under the 55k threshold.
yup it shows 54,030. if you did a custom order it would be 55 +. but does it count for new or used? it says demo. also they show a red one for 55k on the nose. if they sell as new the price is over 55k so indeed it is confusing

question: So can we delay the delivery like a week or 2? I will be away in FL from Feb 11 to feb 26. So I will not be in MA.
Maybe they can ship to FL (Tampa area). Can we say road trip? :) (just kidding)
Unless I get delivery before Feb 11 which i find hard to believe it would take place.

Last edited:
FYI - There is growing pressure on the Treasury Dept to implement the domestic battery production restrictions as a requirement for EV credits, Machin is introducing a bill to halt EV credits until the guidelines are implemented - rather than keep the less restrictive credits going past March:

Congress is famously slow, but something worth keeping an eye on for those that have a March delivery date.

Good news everyone!

Elon is coming to the rescue on the EV tax credits and protecting us from Manchin.

</scarcasm+pure_speculation>

I ordered mine 1/17 at 8:00pm Mountain time, MSM with black interior. Sometime this morning, 9/26, my estimated delivery date updated to 2/9 to 3/9.

Regarding the batteries, I thought that all of the M3Ps sold in the U.S. had 2170 batteries manufactured by Panasonic at the Gigafactory in Nevada. Is this not correct?