Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a white M3P with white interior on 1/18 and still waiting for a VIN. Delivery has been showing 2/9 to 3/9 since last week. The Tesla website is also showing Feb-Mar delivery for new orders as of yesterday. Let's see how many cars Tesla can deliver before the tax credit guidance gets published.

I ordered a white M3P with white interior on 1/18 and still waiting for a VIN. Delivery has been showing 2/9 to 3/9 since last week. The Tesla website is also showing Feb-Mar delivery for new orders as of yesterday. Let's see how many cars Tesla can deliver before the tax credit guidance gets published.
I ordered evening Jan 16th M3 grey/silver no VIN. Also delivery showing 2/9 to 3/9. I think they VINs are coming for the 1/16 week for east coast people (not sure where you are :) )

lets see.

That being the case, if the IRS comes up with any changes that make the Model 3 invalid for the credit, I think it would make every other EV invalid for the credit as well. This would make the law passed by Congress a farce; I don't think either the IRS or Congress want that. I really don't see any serious likelihood that Teslas made in America with American made batteries will be declared invalid for the tax credit. My concern would be more with the base Model 3 RWD which has LFP batteries made in China.

My M3P is scheduled for delivery this Sunday, 1/29. However, Tesla has still not provided the info to make payment for the vehicle. The "Make Your Final Payment" option in the Tesla app is not enabled. I'm not getting any response from my TA via text, and I can't get through on the 888-51-TESLA number. I'm not sure if my credit union will be able to make the payment today or not. Excitement is turning into aggravation, it's hard to be patient!

That being the case, if the IRS comes up with any changes that make the Model 3 invalid for the credit, I think it would make every other EV invalid for the credit as well. This would make the law passed by Congress a farce; I don't think either the IRS or Congress want that. I really don't see any serious likelihood that Teslas made in America with American made batteries will be declared invalid for the tax credit. My concern would be more with the base Model 3 RWD which has LFP batteries made in China.

According to the original bill, half of the EV credit is based on where the components such as batteries are assembled, and half is based on where the actual minerals for the batteries are sourced. Companies that assemble batteries in the US, but source minerals from abroad would therefore only quality for half of the credit ($3,750 vs the full $7,500). I know that Tesla has secured rights to lithium deposits in Nevada - but I don't think they are actively mining in Nevada yet (I could be wrong).

I think the mineral requirement is aspirational one that almost no one will qualify for and serves as in incentive for mining investment in the US (which I can see the logic behind). Telsa is obviously moving quickly in this direction - even prior to the bill - just not sure how far along they are.

Sources:

The other concerns are just the unknown factors - such as a bill in congress to make the rules retroactive once they are defined and implemented. Very unlikely to pass, but it's there nonetheless.

LOL - Quick update: as of two minutes ago, this is apparently now dead:

Source:

U.S. Senator blocks bid to close EV tax window

Like you, I think those of us with delivery dates in March will be fine - I just wish there was less uncertainty,

Last edited:
My M3P is scheduled for delivery this Sunday, 1/29. However, Tesla has still not provided the info to make payment for the vehicle. The "Make Your Final Payment" option in the Tesla app is not enabled. I'm not getting any response from my TA via text, and I can't get through on the 888-51-TESLA number. I'm not sure if my credit union will be able to make the payment today or not. Excitement is turning into aggravation, it's hard to be patient!
can you get a bank check? they will take it and be done and avoid more aggravation

can you get a bank check? they will take it and be done and avoid more aggravation
I finally got through on the Customer Service line. There was something wrong on their end, with how they saved the third party financing info, that was blocking the process from advancing. Good thing I called! So I made the down payment, and I'll pick up a cashier's check from the CU like you suggested. Should be good to go for Sunday!

Reactions: nickg_6
According to the original bill, half of the EV credit is based on where the components such as batteries are assembled, and half is based on where the actual minerals for the batteries are sourced. Companies that assemble batteries in the US, but source minerals from abroad would therefore only quality for half of the credit ($3,750 vs the full $7,500). I know that Tesla has secured rights to lithium deposits in Nevada - but I don't think they are actively mining in Nevada yet (I could be wrong).

I think the mineral requirement is aspirational one that almost no one will qualify for and serves as in incentive for mining investment in the US (which I can see the logic behind). Telsa is obviously moving quickly in this direction - even prior to the bill - just not sure how far along they are.

Sources:

The other concerns are just the unknown factors - such as a bill in congress to make the rules retroactive once they are defined and implemented. Very unlikely to pass, but it's there nonetheless.

LOL - Quick update: as of two minutes ago, this is apparently now dead:

Source:

U.S. Senator blocks bid to close EV tax window

Like you, I think those of us with delivery dates in March will be fine - I just wish there was less uncertainty,
As far as I've heard, no one makes batteries for electric cars anywhere in the world, where at least some of the minerals, if not all, are sourced from countries other than the U.S. Also, I think that as of today, Tesla is the only company that even uses batteries made in the U.S. Everyone else imports batteries for EVs made in America. Basically, if Teslas don't qualify for the tax credits, no EVs will qualify.

As far as I've heard, no one makes batteries for electric cars anywhere in the world, where at least some of the minerals, if not all, are sourced from countries other than the U.S. Also, I think that as of today, Tesla is the only company that even uses batteries made in the U.S. Everyone else imports batteries for EVs made in America. Basically, if Teslas don't qualify for the tax credits, no EVs will qualify.
even Tesla has deals with CATL for batteries which is a Chinese company

you are correct I do not think any Automotive manufacturer meets the full requirements
the spirit of the law makes sense but I am not sure it is applicable

even Tesla has deals with CATL for batteries which is a Chinese company

you are correct I do not think any Automotive manufacturer meets the full requirements
the spirit of the law makes sense but I am not sure it is applicable
My understanding is that all of the LFP batteries used to produce the Model 3 short range in China and Fremont come from CATL in China. Maybe Tesla gets Li-ion batteries from CATL for the other Model 3s and Ys produced in China as well. I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Opened my inbox and saw an email from Tesla!

…Informing me my mobile connector has shipped. I kind of feel like they were going to ship the wall and mobile connector together, but there is some guy that just enjoys messing with people’s emotions.
Same with me. I ordered mine the morning of 1/15 just after midnight and just got the shipping notification for the mobile charger. Delivery date for m3p is still Feb 2 to Mar 2. Hopefully we get it towards the beginning of Feb.

Reactions: nickg_6
Performance officially added to the list on the IRS website as of today. Woohoo!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127_175749_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127_175749_Chrome.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 101
I'm glad to see the 3 Performance added to the IRS list. That removes a little stress. Between the price cuts and the tax credit, the 3P is way more affordable. Seems like a lot of car for the money. Now I just need to keep myself for ordering a dozen things for it before it arrives. Still waiting on my VIN from a late night 14th/15th order. Seems like those who ordered on the 13th got VINs a few days ago, so hoping it will be soon.

What is everyone's favorite YouTube Performance video?

You will most likely get a canned answer or refer you to you "tax professional". While it clearly qualifies under the MSRP requirement, is ultimate the IRS call - not Tesla. I don't think any manager will be willing to guarantee that in writing.

For example, the IRS website doesn't have the M3P listed, but does have the MYP which is above the MSRP and can't be configured as 7 seater for the higher limit.

I think is 99% likely it qualifies, but I can understand their CYA approach.
It better qualify! After 4 years I finally pulled the trigger today. White/black. M3P!

Reactions: comanchepilot