Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Possible Configuration and Options, what will you order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
The following is just to start people thinking what option are you interested in on your Model 3. We really won't know what configurations and what options there will be and their cost until the design studio opens. We also don't know if all configurations will be available from the beginning. This information is based generally on the current Model S and X.

Both the Model S and Model X come in three configurations. The base version which is the 70D, a mid-range version which is the 90D and the performance version which is the P90D. The P90D is the only version which can be upgraded to add LUDICROUS MODE, which is referred to on this forum P90DL. The P90D and P90DL look the same and the only way to tell from ouside the car is on the right rear of the car. Cars with the ludicrous mode have the P90D underlined.

Below are some example configuration for the Model 3: (We will not know what the real configurations for another 12-24 months.)

• Model 3 Base Version maybe a Model 3 50 (50kWh)*
  • Model 3 with Dual Motors (D), maybe a Model 3 60D to include all wheel drive (60kWh)
  • Model 3 performance version a Model 3 P70D to include all wheel drive, active spoiler, electric stability and traction control and red break calipers (70kWh)
* The reason I started with 50 kWh is the articles I have read indicate a battery of 50 kWh would be what it would take to get a car 20% smaller car to a range of 200. Since I am not an engineer I had to rely on their expertise and this is what others are saying may be in a base model. Whatever it takes to get to 200 miles is what they will put in the base configuration as the battery pack represents the largest % of the total cost to make the car.

Like with the S and X to each of these their would be options such as leather or vegan seats, better stereo system (Internet Streaming) , autopilot, larger wheels (16, 18, 19), chrome or black wheels, sunroof/moonroof, Internet, upgraded paint (multi coat, metallic), better HVAC (hepa filter), Supercharger Access, Tow Package, Third row seating (toe to Toe), High amperage Charging, navigation

As with the X and S many of these will be combined into groups and not purchasable on their own. For example there may be a Premium group which would include leather seats, upgraded HVAC and Sunroof/Moonroof, an Electronics group which would include Internet and Navigation. Various option may not be available on all configurations.

As with all automobile companies they package the options in a way where you have to buy something you don't want to get something you do want. For example you may want leather seats but leather seats are in the premium group and to get the leather seats you end up with a sunroof and better HVAC you really didn't want.

Tesla has already stated the more expensive (loaded) cars will be produced first. We won't know the real pricing for a long time so this is just a ball park estimate. (Since the base car is 1/2 as much as the Model S/X I estimated 1/2 for the cost of options.)

So will you just order the base car with no options? The $35k version?
Will you order a dual motor car with extended range? The $40k-$60k version?
Will you order a loaded car? The $65k-85k version?
Are there specific options you really want and have to have?

What will you order?

Reactions: pmich80
I'm going to spend way too much time contemplating the answer to this question over the next 18+ months. I'd love to hear other people's reasoning is for one option over another, but for now, this is my general thinking:

Starting with battery: leaning toward the larger battery size. The range and speed difference will likely be worth it to me. I also expect that the larger battery size will come with AWD standard. I've test-driven a Model S twice, and the added acceleration and way the AWD car hugs the road are hugely noticeable for me, and the added range is worth investing in for my purposes. The current upgrade to larger battery and AWD in the Model S is $18000. Let's arbitrarily assume Tesla gets that down to $12000 for the Model 3. Now we're at $47000.

I highly doubt that I'd invest in the performance version, as the Model 3 in general is on the edge of my price range. I wouldn't even consider myself in the market for a new car. If the Model 3 didn't exist, I'd keep what I have (a 2012 Hyundai Sonata).

As for additional upgrade options, based loosely on a combination of current Model S options and your list from another thread, Darryl, this is my thinking so far:

Must-Haves (in order):
Autopilot/Tech Package (If internet is separate, that's next) (Let's say $3000)
Non-white/black Paint Color (Leaning blue from current options) ($1000)

Seriously Considering:
Sunroof ($1500)
Leather Seats/Premium Interior (Would love a configuration with white seats) ($2500/$3000)
Supercharger access (would pass if pass-per-use option introduced) ($2000)
High-fidelity sound ($2500)

Probably unnecessary, but maybe if I can afford it:
Bigger/nicer wheels ($4500)
Smart air suspension ($1500)

Pass:
Cold weather package
Extra Seats
Dual charger
Spoiler

If I went with everything I'm considering above, assuming prices are anywhere near what I have listed, I'm looking at $62250. Something will almost certainly get cut from that list.

There are a number of things I'm taking into consideration when deciding how much to spend:

I'm expecting to receive at least 50% of the current tax incentive. ($3250-7500)
I'm contributing whatever money I get from selling my current car toward my Model 3 purchase. (Assuming ~$5000)
California rebate (Currently $2500, could increase based on my tax bracket)
Gas/maintenance savings over 5 years (i.e. how long I will have owned my current car by time I purchase the Model 3) (~$7500)
Started a weekly contribution to a savings account to lessen the blow to my current savings. Thought that would be a good lesson in discipline to help justify such an admittedly "unnecessary" purchase. (aiming for $10000 more saved in 18 months)

Best case scenario from the above puts me at +$32,500 by late 2017. I'm 25 years old, and I'm really hoping not to gut my savings with this purchase, but I "will" be able to afford it regardless. The question is simply how far do I want to go. I can't go all out, but if I'm going to buy this piece of cutting edge technology, I'm going to invest in options worth having. I'm expecting $60,000 to be the absolute top of my limit. Aiming to spend less than that. But we'll see what comes standard and how much everything else costs. My current car is pretty standard, but having driven a Model S twice now, there are certain things I don't think I'll want to live without.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and Fallenone
Fun to think about!

My guess is that they'll offer 60/80kWh options or something close. If so, depending on price would expect to order P80D, possibly Ludicrous (depending on performance of P80D and added price for Ludi).

AP, Leather, premium wheels and, of course, the most important part of any car -- premium HiFi. Supercharger is also a must if not included.

For sure having supercharger and AP if they are optional.
Also going with whatever gets the best range - which usually precludes the performance options, but usually means dual motor (assuming that isn't standard either!).
All of the rest really depends on how the option packaging goes.
Would like some kind of nav but don't care about leather etc.

Minimum for me is AP, AWD, and SC access. Battery upgrade will depend on how much distance it would add. The farthest we tend to go is the outer banks and with the Norfolk SC and the RV parks down there we should be okay with the base model.

My first priority will be upgrading to the largest battery. Supercharger access and autopilot upgrades will be the next must haves.

After that I will check the creature comfort boxes to get leather seats, navigation/internet, sunroof, upgraded audio, a paint color and interior color I like, etc.

IF I am still under $60k at that point, I will look at AWD and bigger rims, etc. I seriously doubt I will be able to afford a P model, so that will probably be the first to go.

The only thing that worries me is an Elon statement I saw somewhere that the Model 3 wouldn't launch with all the options available right away. We know Tesla changes the options regularly in the design studio with no warning for the S and X, so it has made me consider what options I might WAIT to place an order for.

I think right now the answer to that is Autopilot and supercharger access. If you can't configure the initial versions of the 3 with both those two features, then I will hold off confirming my order until I can add those options.

Last edited:
Autopilot is my only must-have. I'm keeping my ICE car (it will replace a truck as my wife's daily driver) so I don't need Supercharger access for my road trips (and therefore, don't want to pay for the charger in the car). AWD might be nice especially if it increases the chance of getting it earlier. I expect this car to perform as well as any car I've owned without a performance add-on, so that's a no go.

For creature comforts, I prefer synthetic leather (provided it's done right!) over leather, but both over cloth. Heated seats and sunroof are nice. Not too picky otherwise. So basically base+AP+AWD if it helps get the tax credit.

I'll definitely get Autopilot if it's around $2,500. That's the main reason I'll be getting a Tesla...for the convenience of having the car drive itself. I will also get a premium paint color for $1,000 (Cobalt Blue is gorgeous).

I would want to get Supercharging but I would actually feel a bit ripped off if it was more than $2,000 or so. I'd probably still get it anyways though...it would greatly extend the usefulness of the car and eliminate range anxiety.

I would also like to get a bigger battery for longer range but that would be a luxury for me, since 200 mile range is more than plenty for my daily driver, and supercharger access will let me take long road trips.

Everything else such as sunroof, AWD, premium sound, etc...are all luxuries and I would not miss them. I want to keep the car to maximum price of ~$40k and unless an option is really really useful for me, I can do without it.

No to pano (rock chips/cracked windshields are close to an annual thing around here), leather, AP, premium sound, air suspension, or any speed or battery enhancements not included with AWD.

Yes to AWD, SC access, red color. I'd guess $43-44k. Since I"m not currently a Tesla owner or employee and I'll be pretty far back in the pack. I should get the full Colorado credit (-$6000), putting the car around $37-38k. Would love to find I can get half the fed credit, bringing it under $35k. If it looks like half of the fed credit is a reasonable assumption, I'll add the cold weather package as well.

Side note, first "mod" will be Photosync tint 35% all around (75% on the windshield) to reduce heat and need for a/c in the summer and retain interior heat in the winter.

I'm looking for a PxxDL. I want everything but smart air suspension, which, IMHO, is a pointless gimmick that is destined to fail and cost you thousands of dollars to repair the day after your warranty expires (I generally keep cars for 8-10 years). AWD is mandatory - my street here in the NH mountains is impassible without AWD after a snowstorm, even with top-notch snow tires.

No to pano (rock chips/cracked windshields are close to an annual thing around here)
Does it rain rocks where you live? How would rocks kicked up from cars in front of you damage the roof? Windshield I get, but roof?

Seems to me I already did this on an identical thread a while back, but what the heck, it's still fun.
Assuming it's all offered:
- "P" model with biggest battery and dual motor
- Next Gen (sport) seats, preferably not leather
- Pano roof
- Auto pilot
- Air suspension (I'm thinking this may not be offered on the little guy, hope I'm wrong as I'd love the extra ride height for rallying)
- Premium sound
- Winter package (heated seats, steering wheel, etc)
- SC, assuming it's extra cost
- Dual chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.