Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 production and deliveries remain on schedule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BluestarE3

Apr 2, 2016
Norcal
Tesla Model 3 progress: production line layout completed, Tesla now testing subsystems

From the 3Q letter to shareholders:
"Gigafactory construction and Model 3 development both remain on plan to support volume Model 3 production and deliveries in the second half of 2017."
"For Model 3, we have completed production line layouts and will soon begin installation of new body welding and final assembly lines. We have established a world class team of suppliers for Model 3 production equipment and components and critical long lead time equipment and components have been sourced. We are now testing vehicle systems such as chassis, the high voltage drive system, and low voltage subsystems such as vehicle controllers, HVAC, infotainment and lighting. As refinement of the Model 3 continues, we remain on plan for our timing, volume, vehicle capability, pricing, and margin targets.”

Last edited:
As we heard some good news on the progress of Model 3, just thought of posting it here. Moderators pls. move this thread if it is already posted elsewhere. I am just quoting the bit most relevant to Model 3

http://ir.tesla.com/common/download...2622&filename=Q3_16_Update_Letter_-_final.pdf

For Model 3, we have completed production line layouts and will soon begin installation of new body welding and final assembly lines. We have established a world class team of suppliers for Model 3 production equipment and components and critical long lead time equipment and components have been sourced. We are now testing vehicle systems such as chassis, the high voltage drive system, and low voltage subsystems such as vehicle controllers, HVAC, infotainment and lighting. As refinement of the Model 3 continues, we remain on plan for our timing, volume, vehicle capability, pricing,and margin targets.

The Gigafactory remains on track to begin cell production later this year for use initially in our energy storage products and later to support volume production and deliveries of Model 3 in the second half of 2017. In addition, we continue to expand production capacity at our Fremont facility and are exploring additional production capacity in Asia and Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: ApauloThirteen
23138-excellentjpg-zryq.jpeg

Does this mean all of the "Where are the updates?", "How do we know they're working as hard as they can?", "They haven't said anything they must be behind schedule", and "Nobody will get the Model 3 before 2018" people will shut up?
You mean Garlan?
No, Garlan will keep posting.
He's just excited and wants his Model 3 yesterday.

I thought the gigafactory was already partially operational.
Assembling power products with Asia-produced 18650 cells. Something they could do anywhere, I suppose. Unless the wall&pack casings are also produced on-site.
I wonder how fast they could technically ramp up 2170 cell production. Would they not soon exceed power wall/pack cell demand, and have some to spare for the first Model S/X 120-130kWh battery packs? If cells only become available for cars coinciding with Model 3 production, will it be able to keep up, even only for the employee cars? I realize they need to keep the cells in ageing for a good while, but ramping up to eventually 500,000 cars (just Model 3) at say 70kWh average, that's a lot of cells. Soon annual 150-200,000 x 90kWh average for Model S+X as well. I can't imagine Tesla will be happy to keep sourcing 18650's for a day longer than absolutely neccessary. Huge losses, 5 figure possiby, per car. Millions per day, just of S and X are needlessly using 18650's when GF could havee ramped up harder with 2170's.

Given the risks with new Lithium batteries, I certainly would feel better having Tesla ramp production of the 21700 batteries into stationary power units first, vs driving a 2 ton Galaxy Note 7 down the freeway...

I wouldn't want a Galaxy Note 7 attached to my wall either. At least the roller skate can be rolled out of the garage.

John
Agreed, but I generally don't sit in my garage for any length of time, and my garage doesn't get stuck in rush hour traffic on egg-frying capable asphalt. I guess I see the PowerWall, and more specifically the industrial PowerPack, as the right place to ramp production of the new battery cells, in advance of the M3 production ramp. Get all the kinks out of the production system there first, on a lower volume, and less time-to-market visible product, one where there is a viable current-production backup if there are any significant issues.