Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I see that I think it was hand built, and hope the release versions will be better. I highly doubt there will be any stress on the sheet metal - all of the stress should be on the hinge.
Yes, that is true if the hinge is long enough to include also the latch.

If the sheet metal between the hinge and the latch is bending, then the unloaded part of the sheet metal surface that extends past the latch toward the C-Pillar will end up high.

I just can't see that seam leaving the factory as far off as it is.

I'm intertesteed to know how you can determine that from a single photo taken from the side of the car, a photo that doesn't show the trunk opening, and you do not have any dimensional data for the Model 3 trunk opening at the 3/31/2016 reveal nor do you have any for the latest Model 3 RC vehicles.
Looking at the angled photo above and comparing it to what we saw in the alpha event videos, its pretty clear to me at least that it is unlikely much if anything has changed since then (if something has changed, it is likely relatively insignificant). See photos below (notice the cut points for the lights/trunk and the length of the struts). Also, this in contrast to much of what others on TMC have speculated post the alpha event about perhaps changing the rear glass/trunk split to make it more hatch-like. I refer you to the posts from April of last year.

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 9.32.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 9.33.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 9.33.25 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Looking at the angled photo above and comparing it to what we saw in the alpha event videos, its pretty clear to me at least that it is unlikely much if anything has changed since then (if something has changed, it is likely relatively insignificant). See photos below (notice the cut points for the lights/trunk and the length of the struts). Also, this in contrast to much of what others on TMC have speculated post the alpha event about perhaps changing the rear glass/trunk split to make it more hatch-like. I refer you to the posts from April of last year.

View attachment 233875 View attachment 233876 View attachment 233877
I think they raised the shelf about an inch.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Look at the hinge that lifts the trunk , it’s different now , same color of the cars body , and looking from the picture it looks like the trunk opens higher . Because of this new hinge , there might be a larger trunk opening

View attachment 233875 View attachment 233876 View attachment 233877

Look at the hinge that lifts the trunk , it’s different now , same color of the cars body , and looking from the picture it looks like the trunk opens higher . Because of this new hinge , there might be a larger trunk opening
The new double-pivot hinge can let the trunk door open in a more "elegant" way compared with old hinge.

Yes it's also higher, but "higher trunk door + same (body) opening = still small opening..."

The new double-pivot hinge can let the trunk door open in a more "elegant" way compared with old hinge.

Yes it's also higher, but "higher trunk door + same (body) opening = still small opening..."

I don't think the trunk door necessarily opens higher. If you look at other pictures from the unveiling with the trunk fully open on the silver car (the others linked of the black car don't appear to be fully open; guy seems to have hand touching trunk), it appears to also open at a similar angle (trunk lid surface almost vertical). And from the angle of the white car, it's impossible to see if there is any change to the opening size.
oeP7pvn.jpg

More pictures here (the black one now appears to open higher and silver one lower):
LtMK4Q2.jpg

Last edited:
Have any of you driven or owned a modern sedan?
I just drove a Cadillac ATS and it only has 10 cubic foot of trunk space with a smaller opening than the 3 alpha had.
I also have a Camry that has a similar opening, maybe a little larger but not much.
It will be fine. If you want something other than a SEDAN, then wait for Model Y or buy a used Model S.

Hey guys, how do I write my own post to begin a thread? I don't seem to see the option to write something anywhere other than replying at the bottom of other's threads.
Go to forums page. Select forum you want to post a thread in. At bottom is button for new thread. As I recall, new members may have delay while thread is reviewed by moderators.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
Add one more sighting to the list... Blue Model 3 heading downhill on the road to Lick Observatory Friday 6/30 evening around 7:15pm. Two cars; first was blue, didn't get a good look at the second (so am presuming it was an M3 as well), as I was focusing on the door handles to be sure of what I saw. We were headed up hill, so it was a very brief (non contact) encounter. Before you ask, no I wasn't driving.

For those not from these parts, the road to the observatory on Mt. Hamilton (aka route 130 / Quimby Rd.) climbs some 4,000 ft. from the valley floor in 20 very twisty miles of 2-ish lane road. Certainly a good test route, and only a few miles from Fremont.
The road up to Lick would be very challenging for AP2 I imagine ;)