Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't even have automatic doors on our minivan. People look at us like we're in the Stone age.
As I mentioned, I unfortunately have it on our Forester. Never have I felt it added any convenience. It gave the gate a few deep scratches when my wife forgot the bike rack was on there, and it swapped some paint with my kayak. I tried to close it from a memory height, it encountered a towel that had slid over on the way down, so naturally proceeded to raise all the way up.

I see, it hadn't occurred to me that people would care if their trunk actually has a motorized lift, and that they were mainly concerned about being able to open it remotely if their hands were full. I suppose this begs the question: Why would anyone want it to have a motorized lift?

On a sedan? I'm not sure. I will say that it is useful if you have your hands full and have one of the bumper sensors that automatically open it when you "kick" under the bumper.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
But the tricky part is unlocking it, right? Even completely encumbered by heavy objects requiring both hands, a sedan trunk can easily be lifted with an elbow.

Well my wife's SUV has keyless entry that senses when you're nearby with the key so all you have to do is kick the bumper to open if you have the key in your pocket so it is a pretty slick setup. I do agree that it's not really that big of a deal, it's just laziness.

It looks like we won't see in on the 3 anyways, how in the world will be survive. ;)

Reactions: MountainRatMat
Well my wife's SUV has keyless entry that senses when you're nearby with the key so all you have to do is kick the bumper to open if you have the key in your pocket so it is a pretty slick setup. I do agree that it's not really that big of a deal, it's just laziness.

It looks like we won't see in on the 3 anyways, how in the world will be survive. ;)

Not sure if they would put in a motor but maybe they could have a sensor to pop the trunk release latch in the same way and if the shocks on the truck were strong enough it could fully open on its own.

Why would anyone want it to have a motorized lift?

It's great for those times when you're a T-Rex and don't quite have the reach...

xX8TW2.jpg

From Supercharger - Lansing Michigan topic:
Or even a disaster! :eek:

But fortunately those are Very Rare. Been driving a Model S for 4 years and only had to wait 5 minutes once for an open slot. Great to see the construction pace building prior to the model 3 release. Saw my first model 3 (Pre production) charging last week in Ann Arbor! It was blue, looked great, and had a 72 on its side.

View attachment 234087 View attachment 234088 View attachment 234089 View attachment 234090 View attachment 234091
20170622_prepromodel3_1-png.234087

20170622_prepromodel3_2-png.234088

20170622_prepromodel3_3-png.234089

20170622_prepromodel3_4-png.234090

20170622_prepromodel3_5-png.234091

You've got a strange concept of what passes for humor. They were making an analogy, not a joke, about how we use many motorized conveniences. My opinion is that it's only a convenience if it saves us time, which motorized lift gates and trunks absolutely do not do. Then again, I rarely wait behind people standing on escalators if there is a perfectly good set of stairs to jog up, so maybe I'm just impatient.

This thread is almost dead. Production is fast approaching and the RC's will be gone.

Seeing a Model 3 is going to be like seeing a gas station. They will be everywhere.

Thanks RC sightings.
Oh come on, we can dig deep and summon up 5 more pages of argument and speculation before July 28 to hit 100!

Then, as with the thread before it, it will be replaced with a longer 1000 page thread entitled, "Production Model 3 Sightings and Obligatory Gripefest!" :D

Oh come on, we can dig deep and summon up 5 more pages of argument and speculation before July 28 to hit 100!

Then, as with the thread before it, it will be replaced with a longer 1000 page thread entitled, "Production Model 3 Sightings and Obligatory Gripefest!" :D
I bet we can hit 5 more pages before the end of the week. :p