Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear door no unpowered emergency release safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have kids in the back of a conventional car with the child safety locks engaged you’re in the exact same boat. There’s no mechanical way out.

I really feel you’re over-thinking a problem that doesn’t exist. If it makes you uncomfortable then obviously choose a different car but this is pretty far out in the weeds.

As far as probability of death and injury in an automobile go the biggest factors are by far seatbelt usage, avoidance of impairing substances, and buyer demographic. Everything after that gets in to minuscule diminishing returns.

Some cars with terrible crash test scores have low aggregate injury and death rates and the inverse can be true as well.

Any car will have the back-door-release equivalent of “what if this really specific situation happens while these other specific things are happening.”
I tried giving this 5 👍🏼But was unable to 😁.

Reactions: MikeHolliday
The Model Y also has a mechanical rear door latch at the bottom of the door pockets. I couldn't find a reference to it in the manual and it is quite difficult to access. I had to remove the rubber base pad by lifting it out (easy), then I needed a screwdriver to open the plastic tab (somewhat awkward), and lastly, I need a needle nose pliers to pull out the tab to open the door (also quite awkward). This is not a practical mechanism to manually open the rear doors . I got a couple 8 inch yellow plastic ties and wrapped each tie around the pull tab and ran it up and out so it is visible and accessible from the seats next to the door. A child would likely find it difficult to grasp and pull to open the door but an adult would have little difficulty. This solution as actually kind of neat. I have to admit that I was unaware of the manual rear door release (the front one is obvious and often mistakengly used) so this was an educational task.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
does the Model Y manual release (the pull tab you extended) still stay child locked when you enable that in the Locks menu? Reason i ask is kids might be prone to "accidentally" trying to yank on that...and if that overrides the safety child lock setting...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Model 3 have a tab on the back wall under the seat that you can pull to manually unlock the back doors that also overrides the child safety lock? To access it, if you were sitting in the back seat, you reach down with you hand between your legs and they is a small hole in the carpet on the wall (not floor) that hides the pull tab? I have seen videos with this before and I will try to find if I get a chance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Model 3 have a tab on the back wall under the seat that you can pull to manually unlock the back doors that also overrides the child safety lock? To access it, if you were sitting in the back seat, you reach down with you hand between your legs and they is a small hole in the carpet on the wall (not floor) that hides the pull tab? I have seen videos with this before and I will try to find if I get a chance.
What you describe is in the Model S, not the Model 3.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Put a glass break device in your center console. I have a pocket knife with a seat belt cutter and glass break point on the bottom of the knife handle. Won't be useful in every situation but might have helped the people in the crash in Texas.

Came here for this comment. Even young children can use these:

Attachments

• B4B9CEB7-6DA5-4FA6-A7B2-B887F826DB30.jpeg
    B4B9CEB7-6DA5-4FA6-A7B2-B887F826DB30.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 116
In the good ol' days people used to lock their keys inside their cars all the time. Would see owners bending coat hangers to thread inside through the rubber weather seal. People with sedans had a harder time because it was hard to jam in through the metal window channel.
People would install smooth pop up buttons to keep unwanted people from simply using a slim jim or coat hanger to pop open the doors to grab what ever goodies they could see through the window.

With mechanical openers criminals could easily use a slim jim to open your doors in just a couple seconds.

On July 23, 2018, Brian from Irvine CA, an Araex member posted a YouTube video detailing his solution
for the problem that rear passengers in the rear seats of a Model 3 have no way to open their doors in a no battery situation.
Brian's solution involved an Amazon ring on a red hand pull loop ring on loop.
Does anyone know the Amazon item that he used, or something similar?
Does any out there have similar solutions to this problem & how did they work out?
Any unforeseen problems?
Thank You; John