Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear seat comfort for adults on long journey.

Could 4 adults be comfortable in model 3 for a long journey?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all was interested to gather some opinions as I'm currently looking at a model 3 but with only 30 minute test drive it's hard to gauge rear seat comfort. I would like to gauge if owners think that 4 adults approximately average build and height. Say 5,8 to 5,11 would be comfortable on a long journey. I.e. London to Scotland in 2 days. Approx 600 miles each way.

Comfort is a subjective thing. Personally I find the front seats fine but nothing more, I don't sink into them and go "ahhh" like a good Swedish chair but I don't get out aching after a long drive. The rear?...well IMHO are not the best. The floor is too high in relation to the seat base height resulting in a lack of support under thigh. There's plenty space but it's just not that comfortable. Model Y is much better in this dept.

Reactions: DM206433 and Xdama
Plenty of space in the back but high floor means longer legs will be possibly raised too far for comfort - with 3 in the car you can stretch legs sideways, but not sure with 4 up. Also much more road rumble noise in the back than the front.

I’m 6’2” and have sat in the back plenty of times keeping our 1 year old company in her car seat. Usually for 2 hour journeys. Never had a problem whilst on the move, tricky part for me is getting in and out!

Floor could be lower but if there are only 2 in the back then just cross your feet and spread your knees and it’s plenty comfortable.
It’s how I prefer to sit anyway. Never understood why car reviewers sit bolt upright with their knees together - it’s not like you’re on the tube!

Reactions: Doudeau
Comfort is a subjective thing. Personally I find the front seats fine but nothing more, I don't sink into them and go "ahhh" like a good Swedish chair but I don't get out aching after a long drive. The rear?...well IMHO are not the best. The floor is too high in relation to the seat base height resulting in a lack of support under thigh. There's plenty space but it's just not that comfortable. Model Y is much better in this dept.
How do you know that the Y is better? Have you tried it?

I'd say a lot of this is down to the position of the front seats. I'm 6' 2" and there's not much room behind my seat. I think a tall person would struggle to sit behind me. My 5 year old son in his car seat doesn't have loads of room for his legs and feet.

This is one of the reasons I'm probably going to look at a Y, next time I change car.

Luke

I'm 6' 4", my son is 6' 5". Had no complaints from him sitting in the seat behind my wife and his brother behind me after a 2+hr journey. We used to make the trip in my brothers Mondeo Estate and I'd say its comparable for space for passengers/family. I have crow bar'd him in the back of my former 6 series though, so he has a high pain threshold for rear passenger comfort. I didn't get where i am today without sitting in the back of a Ford Cortina filled with cases of plonk for 12 hours.

I'm 6' 4", my son is 6' 5". Had no complaints from him sitting in the seat behind my wife and his brother behind me after a 2+hr journey. We used to make the trip in my brothers Mondeo Estate and I'd say its comparable for space for passengers/family. I have crow bar'd him in the back of my former 6 series though, so he has a high pain threshold for rear passenger comfort. I didn't get where i am today without sitting in the back of a Ford Cortina filled with cases of plonk for 12 hours.
5 adults in an old style Mini … yes we really did that! I’m not saying it’s comfortable though! The Model 3 is a spacious car. Rear seat low height above floor level may be an issue for some but nobody has complained so far.

I did 8 hours in 1 day with a 5'10"ish (female) colleague in the back. We were a little pressed for time at 1 point and she didn't feel well at one point, but no complaints about comfort.

I think it's a what are you used to, and how sensitive you might be to discomfort (witness the teenager above). I don't think my wife would be happy, but she has a bad back.

It's not perfect, but pretty acceptable. Better than the Toyota Celica I used to have, and much more space than the Leon.

Hi all was interested to gather some opinions as I'm currently looking at a model 3 but with only 30 minute test drive it's hard to gauge rear seat comfort. I would like to gauge if owners think that 4 adults approximately average build and height. Say 5,8 to 5,11 would be comfortable on a long journey. I.e. London to Scotland in 2 days. Approx 600 miles each way.

its ok if you are not too tall and the front passenger/driver isnt too tall. personally i cannot sit behind me without having enough room (184cm) but i know small girls feel comfy enough behind me. having short legs really helps to reduce the "toilet" position so they end up quite comfortable. I reckon if its a mix of a a couple of average sized women and one taller bloke in the passenge rseat and you are average height it should be fine.

How, just how? I’m 6’2 and nobody above a child is fitting behind me, there’s just not enough space under the seat for adult feet, legs could be splayed though. I certainly would class it as comfortable as has been pointed out floor to seat base distance offers no thigh support. I did come from a 6series GT though which was like a living room in the back lol.

I’d agree with that assessment. I still haven’t found any front car seats that were a patch on my Saab 9-5 in any car. No idea where their seat designers went but wish to god another car company had snapped them up and nicked the designs 🤣

How, just how? I’m 6’2 and nobody above a child is fitting behind me, there’s just not enough space under the seat for adult feet, legs could be splayed though. I certainly would class it as comfortable as has been pointed out floor to seat base distance offers no thigh support. I did come from a 6series GT though which was like a living room in the back lol.
So I’ve got a profile configured in mine called ‘Taxi mode’. Basically I’ve found that I (also 6ft2) can put the drivers seat in a raised position, set the steering wheel a bit further into the dash and can then get an adult sized passenger in behind me and still allows me to drive the car in relative comfort. It’s not ideal and I wouldn’t want to do a lot more than an hour or so as it’s absolutely not my usual driving position, but it’s workable.

Reactions: Xdama