Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reliability so far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Combination of paint, body panel alignment, rattles, missing bolts, one 12V battery.
Now of course you could argue that all of those were cosmetic except the 12V. It seems way too early to be predicting the long term reliability of the Model 3.

I think it's pretty obvious it will be a lot more reliable than any gas car. Plenty of people have been thrashing the snot out of the Model 3 on racetracks around the world and I haven't heard of any issues. You can expect a gas car to have a lot more issues.

Last edited:
11 months 6600 miles on my LR RWD. No issues requiring a trip to the service center. Some minor software glitches (drivers side mirror and passenger side mirror did not fold out upon start on two separate occasions but have worked since, some weird buzzing on random songs that no longer buzz). Some minor fit and finish stuff (doorframe seals have some bubbling (been there since delivery - cosmetic only, minor panel gap differences side to side, triangles near the mirror slightly separating, but no performance issues).

I love this car!

Oddest vehicle I have ever owned.
I have no interaction with it beyond being carried around in it.

Admit it, your relationship with this car goes much deeper than that. You can’t deny that you check on it at odd hours, waking it when you need it most, maybe when it’s not really feeling tip-top. You send it addresses of places that you want to take it. You tell people how much you love it.

Admit it, your relationship with this car goes much deeper than that. You can’t deny that you check on it at odd hours, waking it when you need it most, maybe when it’s not really feeling tip-top. You send it addresses of places that you want to take it. You tell people how much you love it.

You forgot about the 15 step 2 hr washing process thrice a week, and walking by to feel the slickness of the finish over lunch, but I digress...

Mines been in the shop ALLOT, but only for fit and finish issues (paint, panel alignment, and lots of rattles.) Sure isn't as quiet as my volt, you can really hear and feel the road in a model 3, and you can also hear the seats, trunk, door panels, headliner (the little bit there is) dash and center console rattling as well as the wind noise which is also much louder than other vehicles for some reason.

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
Mines been in the shop ALLOT, but only for fit and finish issues (paint, panel alignment, and lots of rattles.) Sure isn't as quiet as my volt, you can really hear and feel the road in a model 3, and you can also hear the seats, trunk, door panels, headliner (the little bit there is) dash and center console rattling as well as the wind noise which is also much louder than other vehicles for some reason.

When did you receive your Model 3?

I have a small rattle in my seatbelt adjuster but other than that I don’t think my 3 has any louder noise(s) than the other two vehicles I’ve owned.

My previous Model 3 (Mid-range) bought in December '18 had a crack in the rear glass window show up a couple months after buying it, Tesla fixed it in one day. The driver's seat would squeak occasionally, the squeaking stopped when I brought it to the Service Center, typical.

My new M3P-, bought 3 weeks ago, had the rear trunk latch hook too far back so it would take slamming really hard to close. The Service Center folks ordered a new latch & moved the hook up a little more so it closes easily now. I only had to wait about 3 days after bringing this up to them to get it fixed.

16,000 miles, LR RWD Mode.
July 2018, build date

No major issues or problems during the entire year of owning my Model 3. Took it into service after 6 months to fix some small cometic issues that wasn't caught during delivery inspection (Door handles weren't flush to the door and small rattles coming from the dash)

Overall, it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned (Previously - Honda Civic SI, Lexus IS 350 F Sport). No issues with driving, battery degradation or software updates bricking or causing issues. Only did 1 tire rotation at 6,250 which was the old recommendation mileage for tire rotation. All tires are wearing evenly at 6/32 and plan on rotating tires at 20,000 miles.

Reactions: VQTRVA
16 months, 22k miles. I had to Google the other day just to find out where the Service Center is. Dropped by just to say hello. It was eerily quiet there. I was shooed away when I asked them about my annual service. Feels a little odd and uneasy not doing even the regular service (except tire rotations) that I have always done in all the other cars that I had owned including Leaf

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I have a small rattle in my seatbelt adjuster but other than that I don’t think my 3 has any louder noise(s) than the other two vehicles I’ve owned.

My Model 3 is far and away louder than any other car I've owned and that's after Tesla have had the car on multiple occasions to mitigate rattles in the car.

Some of it is just that as an EV it is natively quieter than a car with an ICE.

However..... it's noticeably louder when just cruising around at low speeds over imperfect roads than my other cars. You can hear every object in the trunk. You can hear interior panels moving against the chassis. You can hear little squeaks and noises coming from the dash, headliner, pillars, etc.

What other cars am I comparing to?

• 1984 Ford Tempo
  • 1996 Acura Integra
  • 2000 Audi A4
  • 2007 Audi A4
  • 2013 BMW 328i
  • 2016 BMW 340i
  • 2008 Acura MDX
  • 2016 Mini Cooper
  • 2019 Mini Countryman
  • 2012 Honda Fit

Would I trade the Model 3 to go back to any of those other cars as my daily driver? No. I just wish Tesla would get their act together with fit and finish of these cars and considering how expensive they are I wish they would put a little more effort into giving it a premium interior at least from a noise and fit/finish perspective.

My Model 3 is far and away louder than any other car I've owned and that's after Tesla have had the car on multiple occasions to mitigate rattles in the car.

Some of it is just that as an EV it is natively quieter than a car with an ICE.

However..... it's noticeably louder when just cruising around at low speeds over imperfect roads than my other cars. You can hear every object in the trunk. You can hear interior panels moving against the chassis. You can hear little squeaks and noises coming from the dash, headliner, pillars, etc.

What other cars am I comparing to?

• 1984 Ford Tempo
  • 1996 Acura Integra
  • 2000 Audi A4
  • 2007 Audi A4
  • 2013 BMW 328i
  • 2016 BMW 340i
  • 2008 Acura MDX
  • 2016 Mini Cooper
  • 2019 Mini Countryman
  • 2012 Honda Fit

Would I trade the Model 3 to go back to any of those other cars as my daily driver? No. I just wish Tesla would get their act together with fit and finish of these cars and considering how expensive they are I wish they would put a little more effort into giving it a premium interior at least from a noise and fit/finish perspective.

Do we think the car is actually louder or we can just hear more because there is no engine drowning out other noises? I drive with the radio on most of the time so maybe that’s why I don’t notice much extra noise.

Do we think the car is actually louder or we can just hear more because there is no engine drowning out other noises? I drive with the radio on most of the time so maybe that’s why I don’t notice much extra noise.

I am pretty sensitive to cabin noise and am pretty confident that yes the Tesla is louder than the other cars mentioned.... especially the German ones.

Noises I mention can be heard over the stereo if it playing at a lower volume. Number one comment from Tesla SC around noise issues is that you should just play the radio louder.

They did resolve the last "big" noise issue that was driving me crazy which was an intermittent rattle coming out of the dash. While they had the car they fixed several other rattles they diagnosed on their own. That brings the total list of noise issues they've diagnosed, confirmed and fixed to something like 10.