Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservation confusion at various Tesla stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've called a few East Coast stores and have received a few different answers to the following (all times EST).

Store 1: "Doors open at 10am and we will start taking reservations at 1pm."

Store 2: "Doors open at 10 am and we will take reservations immediately"

Second question revolves around whether or not someone can go in and reserve one in your name with your credentials, if you are not near a store. For example, two family members go into store together. One places deposit for personal vehicle, another wants to place one for relative not there, but with their info/payment/credentials.

Store 1: "No problem for someone in-store to sign you up with your payment, personal info."

Store 2: I'm not sure and would not want to say definitely yes., but each person can reserve up to 2 vehicles, but it may have to be in their name and reservations are not transferable."

My take: (but you can always have someone buy the car a and then title it in your name)

I've called a few East Coast stores and have received a few different answers to the following (all times EST).

Store 1: "Doors open at 10am and we will start taking reservations at 1pm."

Store 2: "Doors open at 10 am and we will take reservations immediately"

Second question revolves around whether or not someone can go in and reserve one in your name with your credentials, if you are not near a store. For example, two family members go into store together. One places deposit for personal vehicle, another wants to place one for relative not there, but with their info/payment/credentials.

Store 1: "No problem for someone in-store to sign you up with your payment, personal info."

Store 2: I'm not sure and would not want to say definitely yes., but each person can reserve up to 2 vehicles, but it may have to be in their name and reservations are not transferable."

My take: (but you can always have someone buy the car a and then title it in your name)

I called Mt. Kisco ~1 week ago and they quoted me the 1PM time for both Mt. Kisco NY and White Plains NY. I have not called back since the announcement yesterday.

The Model 3 agreement clearly states you cannot put a deposit down in someone else's name.

Hmmm. This change tells me that it really doesn't matter what your reservation sequence is. As has already been said in other threads on this forum. They have their own sequence according to geography so all that really matters is your sequence in your region. (And then, what options you've chosen.)

The Model 3 agreement clearly states you cannot put a deposit down in someone else's name.

Correct but it also says this : "This agreement is not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of a Tesla authorized representative".

Several people on this board that already own Tesla Model S, including me, have indicated that they are buying the Model 3 for their wives. It is pretty clear that Tesla will give written approval to have title on someone''s wife. Will they give written approval for someone's friend? I think it is quite possible if the reservation holder comes up with the cash.

Careful - that won't work in any state that I'm familiar with - the name on the title must match exactly the name on the bill of sale; no changes allowed.[/QUOTE
Correct but it also says this : "This agreement is not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of a Tesla authorized representative".

Several people on this board that already own Tesla Model S, including me, have indicated that they are buying the Model 3 for their wives. It is pretty clear that Tesla will give written approval to have title on someone''s wife. Will they give written approval for someone's friend? I think it is quite possible if the reservation holder comes up with the cash.

For what it is worth, I was told by a Tesla rep, on the phone from California headquarters, that the reservation holder (for any Tesla) must manage the process through purchase and delivery, unless written permission given from Tesla. After the reservation holder takes delivery, they can do whatever they want with the car, including transfer or title it in someone else's name.

My family lives near a Tesla store but I do not. They are putting down a reservation for a 3, and originally, two different store reps said that my family could go in with my credentials and put one down for me. Then California (headquarters) said this is not possible, so they can put and additional down in their name, take delivery, then sell/transfer ownership to me.

Last edited:
I live miles from the nearest store, in the UK, so I have to decide if I want to take a day off work and go and order in store or get up at 3:30am to order online. Not the best choice I've ever had to make. I get little enough sleep as it is with a baby!

Not true in California: I purchased a new Hyundai Elantra, I paid for it, and had the title written in my wife's name. I paid by personal check. She owns the car, and the car registration from the DMV is in her name.
But who did the registration and title? You or the dealer (or their runner)? If you told the dealer "Oh, I want this registered in my wife's name when I come pick it up in 3 days", they just issued the bill of sale and other paperwork in her name. That's very different then you showing up at the CA DMV with a MCO and a bill of sale made out to Neptune2000, but then telling the DMV to reg/title in "Wife of Neptune2000".

Then California (headquarters) said this is not possible, so they can put and additional down in their name, take delivery, then sell/transfer ownership to me.
My concern with this is that we don't know who gets the original title (and therefore the tax credit), and if there's a second sale that may be subject to more sales tax.

Say Person A makes the reservation for Person B, who can't make it to the store that day. If the reservation is in Person B's name, all is good - all the paperwork, title, and tax credit go to Person B. But if the reservation is in Person A's name, lots of weird/bad things could happen if Tesla won't transfer it into Person B's name (which is unlikely, or at least not guaranteed):
  • A orders the car to B's specs, locking in the deposit. B gets cold feet and backs out. A is stuck walking away from the deposit or going forward and buying a car they don't want/losing money on resale
  • A orders the car, but Tesla says all paperwork must be in A's name. A gets the first title, but can't legally take the tax credit, since this is clearly a purchase with intent to resell. A resells to B. B takes A's title and bill of sale and registers the car, likely paying a second sales tax fee (although they may not, if A and B are immediate family).
If I were going to do this, I'd make sure it was a family member making the reservation, and that if they sell the car to me, my state considers it a sales tax exempt transaction. I'd also be prepared to write off the tax credit. I'd probably also go ahead and get a second reservation in my name when online reservations open. If B has a reservation, it might be a little easier to convince Tesla to transfer A's registration into B's name, especially if B agrees to cancel the reservation they had already made (total speculation on my part).

My point is there are lots of unknowns and ways this could go south. Caveat emptor, and all that. Worst case, you're out a tax credit and have to pay double sales tax. Big penalty for early delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: ChadS
My concern with this is that we don't know who gets the original title (and therefore the tax credit), and if there's a second sale that may be subject to more sales tax.

Say Person A makes the reservation for Person B, who can't make it to the store that day. If the reservation is in Person B's name, all is good - all the paperwork, title, and tax credit go to Person B. But if the reservation is in Person A's name, lots of weird/bad things could happen if Tesla won't transfer it into Person B's name (which is unlikely, or at least not guaranteed):
  • A orders the car to B's specs, locking in the deposit. B gets cold feet and backs out. A is stuck walking away from the deposit or going forward and buying a car they don't want/losing money on resale
  • A orders the car, but Tesla says all paperwork must be in A's name. A gets the first title, but can't legally take the tax credit, since this is clearly a purchase with intent to resell. A resells to B. B takes A's title and bill of sale and registers the car, likely paying a second sales tax fee (although they may not, if A and B are immediate family).
If I were going to do this, I'd make sure it was a family member making the reservation, and that if they sell the car to me, my state considers it a sales tax exempt transaction. I'd also be prepared to write off the tax credit. I'd probably also go ahead and get a second reservation in my name when online reservations open. If B has a reservation, it might be a little easier to convince Tesla to transfer A's registration into B's name, especially if B agrees to cancel the reservation they had already made (total speculation on my part).

My point is there are lots of unknowns and ways this could go south. Caveat emptor, and all that. Worst case, you're out a tax credit and have to pay double sales tax. Big penalty for early delivery.

All good points on the tax credit and I agree with it being easier if it is kept within the family. I understand Tesla not wanting brokers to go put reservations in for a bunch of random people as a way of making money.

It would be great if Tesla would formally let an immediately family members make a reservation for or transfer a reservation to one another. You would think that this helpw them, since many states won't allow stores, and/or Tesla has not expanded to all areas. Only helps them sell more cars.

All good points on the tax credit and I agree with it being easier if it is kept within the family. I understand Tesla not wanting brokers to go put reservations in for a bunch of random people as a way of making money.

It would be great if Tesla would formally let an immediately family members make a reservation for or transfer a reservation to one another. You would think that this helpw them, since many states won't allow stores, and/or Tesla has not expanded to all areas. Only helps them sell more cars.
I know California allows transfers between family members without paying sales tax so this may help if you buy the car and transfer the registration to wife or kids.

In California you can gift a vehicle to anyone. According to the DMV web site "The lone difference being you may need to provide smog certification". Just get that TM3 smogged and you're good to go ;).
No problem if you are actually gifting the car to someone. However, if you are selling the car, you have to fill out a "Statement of Facts (DMV Form 256)" form listing the sales price. If you are "gifting" to a non-related person (and received money from them) you would have to lie on this form and the DMV might question its veracity.