Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that extremely unlikely. To actually move the needle on cancellation percentage an entity would need to make tens of thousands of reservations. In addition to the logistical challenge of hiding this activity from Tesla, for a publicly traded company this would require handing over tens of millions of dollars to Tesla for over a year and hiding that from investors. And for what gain? A change from 5% cancellations to 10% is not going to move the stock much, and the people cancelling wouldn't have any idea if/when Tesla will report that data to be able to take advantage of it.

I think some people are making way to big a deal over the cancellation rate anyways. There will be some natural percentage of cancellations, probably in the 5%-20% range. Things change and this is a big financial decision for most people, some may buy Bolts or other cars, some may get impatient and buy a Model S instead, some may just have cold feet when the time comes to dish out $35k. Even if 25% of people cancel there are still 300,000 sales lined up a year in advance of production which is way more than just about any of the extremely bullish users here predicted by this point.

even if unorganized imagine all the employees and fanboys there are for Chevy, VW, Toyota, Ford, etcetera that'd love to make Tesla look bad

employee A says "I'll do this to show my coworkers and joke about it then cancel later and complain about how bad Tesla is for the economy"
fanboy B says "I want to roll coal and those damn tree hugging liberal EV people make me mad, I'll show them"
fanboy C says "darn, this Model 3 will kill my favorite (insert EV/hybrid/deisel/fuel cell/gas car here) I've got to slow them down somehow and spew my hate while I'm at it"

multiply that by the millions of people on the planet that care about cars more than the average person and even if they are a small percentage there will be some that do it and they'll add up.

I don't expect it is a large percentage of orders and whatever funny business Tesla culls will be more than offset by renewed interest after the Model 3 Reveal - Part 2.

Consider this. I'm a strong supporter of TSLA, strong desire to switch away from gas cars, I made the transition to the Prius when that wasn't cool, and the transition to Leaf before Tesla was affordable. I really really want a Tesla but I haven't put a reservation in for Model 3 yet.

I guarantee there are plenty of people like me not ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla yet that might get pulled in after the Part 2 reveal or might order unrelated to that reveal when their finances allow.

@dhanson865 - I think this article sums up when those EV/Tesla naysayers will be having a hard time keeping up their argument

If the trend shown here is at all accurate, 10 years from now (let alone 25) will be quite different than today
ev-growth_large.jpg

And Telsa is set up to be the major player in new car sales
2015-ev-sales_large.png

If the trend shown here is at all accurate, 10 years from now (let alone 25) will be quite different than today

You might want to take a look at 'clean disruption' video and/or book.
Linear projections like that one are much too conservative.
Like other similar transitions Tony Seba suggests that this transition could be over by 2025/2030 (except for the cars already sold.)

Have to think that the Tesla Model 3 Reservation Tracker site is not quite accurate. I submitted my reservation late 4/01, and received the confim e-mail at 4:20am on 4/02. The site says my Estimated Spot in Line is 307,266 with Estimated Delivery Date of Feb 2020. From what I've seen on confirmed reservation figures, I'm much closer to the 200,00 - 225,000 range, and have been anticipating delivery in late 2018 / early 2019.

You might want to take a look at 'clean disruption' video and/or book.
Linear projections like that one are much too conservative.
Like other similar transitions Tony Seba suggests that this transition could be over by 2025/2030 (except for the cars already sold.)
Wow - I just went through the Tony Seba presentation. I'm convinced.
Now - should I be an early adopter and ride the downward slope, every day noticing there is better stuff than what I just bought?
Or buy with planned obsolesce? Or limp along on my very serviceable ICE units until 2020 when the 80% saturation happens?
I don't know how to embrace his vision. Any suggestions?

Have to think that the Tesla Model 3 Reservation Tracker site is not quite accurate. I submitted my reservation late 4/01, and received the confim e-mail at 4:20am on 4/02. The site says my Estimated Spot in Line is 307,266 with Estimated Delivery Date of Feb 2020. From what I've seen on confirmed reservation figures, I'm much closer to the 200,00 - 225,000 range, and have been anticipating delivery in late 2018 / early 2019.
I'll have to agree with this as well, I submitted mine 5 minutes BEFORE online preorders officially opened on 3/31, and a full hour before Elon announced the 115,000 figure at the reveal.

Tesla 3 Counter is giving me a line position of 269,082 and an estimated January 2020 delivery. I would assume I'm at least closer to the 90,000 to 100,00 range.

I agree as my results also seem inaccurate: Reservation made a 3/31 a few minutes before the reveal started. Confirmation e-mail received 4/1@4:28pm. The site estimate: spot #298,492, delivery Feb. 2020. I reserved BEFORE the reveal started, and during the reveal they announced they had 115,000 reservations, of which I was one. The only thing I can figure that is skewing there estimate is that perhaps I received the confirmation email from tesla later then others did.

Now - should I be an early adopter and ride the downward slope, every day noticing there is better stuff than what I just bought?
Or buy with planned obsolesce? Or limp along on my very serviceable ICE units until 2020 when the 80% saturation happens?
I don't know how to embrace his vision. Any suggestions?

I reserved in store on 3/31 to help amplify the 'voices' of others.

For me, I was unprepared to join the 'S' generation. I plan to enjoy a m3 with 10-20k of options. And help drive down the slope.

What comes next depends on when I need to buy another for 'my' use once my wife changes her mind...

Any suggestions on how to get her disinterest in writing? ;-)

I agree as my results also seem inaccurate: Reservation made a 3/31 a few minutes before the reveal started. Confirmation e-mail received 4/1@4:28pm. The site estimate: spot #298,492, delivery Feb. 2020. I reserved BEFORE the reveal started, and during the reveal they announced they had 115,000 reservations, of which I was one. The only thing I can figure that is skewing there estimate is that perhaps I received the confirmation email from tesla later then others did.

The main counter on the page estimates 446,000. All we've heard from Tesla is "getting close to 400,000" and "about 400,000" so I think 446,000 is very high at this point.

If you have used the supposed Model 3 reservation tracker, I would be very careful. You blindly gave a website your real name and a valid email address. That is a huge step towards getting into significantly more important accounts (banks etc.) for a halfway skilled phishing scammer.

The website was not posted by Tesla and therefore is 100% fake. If the password you used for this fake site is anything near any other passwords you regularly use, I would highly recommend you change them immediately.

I confirmed that it is fake as shown in the image below. I used the name "Nice Try" and a spam email account I have. It came through saying I had a valid reservation.

Attachments

• fake.jpg
    fake.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 78
I too signed onto this - and then asked to be removed. Bquin responded with an email that they were removing my data.

If "the other guys" wanted to wreck havoc - tell the early reservation holders they are late holders, and wait for the fallout, and then have a perp-walk to show over subscriptions. Perhaps this was/is a good site, but I agree with NickHoffmann that the could be more spam than good.

In the table listing the times, what time zones are they in? I ordered at 11am, in the US, on the east coast. Just trying to roughly figure out my place in line.
My online reservation was at about 1:15am EDT 4/1 but my confirmation from Tesla says my reservation was confirmed on 3/31 so it would appear they were basing this on PDT (Pacific or West coast US time).

I'd say whatever algorithm is being used is full of holes. I put in the actual time I made the reservation (10:30 AM on the 31st, Eastern time) and it said I was in the 240,000 range and expected delivery was Dec 2019.

If nothing else, I don't think they realize that North America gets cars first. If they have the one guy in Australia as #1 on their list, that's just wrong.

Also they don't have any way of knowing how optioned individual's cars will be, meaning they can't judge where that moves them around in the queue.