Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Volvo XC90 bars with T-Slot don't need any tool. They have thumbwheel wing nuts to tighten and loosen. But they are locked to the car with keys that I keep in the glove compartment. For one person, they take about 4-5 mins in total for both bars to install / take off. It will be slightly faster with two people.
My experience with Volvo racks leads me to believe that you are speaking of a Thule product (That's branded by Volvo). And the part that Thule doesn't do so well is the need to tighten the towers down every time the racks are mounted, and the need to loosen the towers every time the rack is removed. Yes, you can do it by hand, but the fact that it needs to be done every time is a problem for me. I much prefer a system that requires ONE initial adjustment (with or without a tool) and then works by throwing a lever/cam for mounting and unmounting from then on. I'm talking about a 40 second process each time instead of a 5-minute process each time.

However, the Volvo has built-in rails to mount the bars. Model 3 doesn't. That's kind'a why I'm wondering if the mounting is going to be more permanent. Tesla's copy says "easy installation at home", not "quick installation". I hope it is a quick on/off thing.
The 3 has built-in receivers for the tongue of the rack feet. There's no indication that this system will be more "permanent" than what you've experienced with the Volvo. Of course "easy" and "quick" are both so wildly subjective as to be meaningless.

So we wait and hope.

So what I'm hearing is that I'm this year's winner. Thanks, man.

I'm fine being called a loser... because with the racks, it looks like we're all winners!

Seriously... this is pretty dang awesome to see that those mounts do indeed exist on the production car, and that Tesla has indeed created a proper rack for them. I'm curious... how and when did VT_EE notice that The racks were in the Tesla Shop? My guess is that they were never really for sale and sold out. I'm guessing they were introduced as "sold out" until they get everything set for sales.

Winner: VT_EE. Really, thanks for the pointer!

That is my thought too. I was at the shop within an hour of them being "for sale" and they were sold out already (with no article on Electrek or InsideEVs yet), so was pretty sure it was a placeholder. Called Tesla today (and waited for an hour!) - guy on the phone basically confirmed as much. He didn't know when they would be available exactly, and unfortunately there is no way to get in line at this point. I'm hoping for a courtesy email, but I'll be checking the site every day to make sure I pounce on them!

Really glad I didn't buy the Yakima "gutter clamp" type that showed up a few weeks ago!!

That is my thought too. I was at the shop within an hour of them being "for sale" and they were sold out already (with no article on Electrek or InsideEVs yet), so was pretty sure it was a placeholder.
Until such a time when we hear from somebody who actually purchased one of those unobtanium racks that may have been available fo 2.3 seconds, I think we can safely assume that none have been sold.

For now I'm content with being happy with the knowledge that they'll eventually be available, and that the look like a practical and attractive addition to the car for a reasonable price.

Reactions: KootsChewt
As far as I understand, the industry is standardizing on that T-slot for cross-bars. But even if that turns out to be untrue, it is quite simple to purchase the matching hardware that will fit in any T-slot that anybody happens to develop. So on that front, we're in great shape. T-slots allow you to adapt just about anything to mount on the bars.

Great, thank you for the information!

Hi Cole, what did you decide on for your solution? I'm also looking for the best solution for bike and ski hauling. I have a hitch on the Model 3 now. 2" receiver.

Is there a good dedicated ski/snowboard hitch-mounted hauler?
Sorry been busy cleaning up from earthquake (s). I have a few friends that use the yakama hitch mount ski attachment for the frame bike rack. It only works with the style of bike rack that grabs the frame. We haul around full suspension mountain bikes and I switched from a Kuat to a North Shore about 4 years ago and it is awesome for carrying 4 mountain bikes. Searously cant recommend it enough if you regularly carry 4 bikes. Here it is on my LX.

upload_2018-12-3_5-43-36.png

For skis I currently have two Yakama fresh track(s) and a rocket box. Use the box only when going to a downhill race and the weather is warm to keep contamination off race prepped bases. And we have a Mercedes bolt on ski rack on our MB. I probably won’t get around to putting a roof rack on the Tesla this winter. When we XC ski nightly we have our dog so we take the older MB. When we travel with alpine skis it’s to races so it’s at least 6 pairs of skis, tons of gear, sometimes a generator/wax table so we’ll take my LX.

Anyway my thoughts on a roof rack for the 3 and what I would consider for MY needs. The Tesla one looks nice aesthetically may be quiet and aerodynamic but I don’t think will be very practical in terms of usability. It is going to be very narrow and the useable area will be directly over the glass mid roof. And by the pictures uses their own rail system (but it looks like the one on our MB rack). So you’ll have to wait on the rack (that isn’t available) then wait on the Tesla fork mount bike rack (that is a fork mount? Really Tesla?) So probably won’t work with through axles, fat bikes, and whatever else the bike industry changes next week. Then you’ll have to wait on the ski rack that goes in the rail and probably not well made for carrying skis. Our MB one won’t fit skis wider than ~90 under foot and high camber XC skis won’t fit bottom to bottom. I guess what I’m getting at is I have never seen a car manufacturer rack of any kind that comes close to the rack companies (yakama, Thule) for the function of carrying gear. Most look pretty but are functionally terrable. Also gear changes rapidly and the rack companies product being modular parts are easily updated and changed. Finally for me I like wide cross bars to “outside mount”. Like this on my rig.
upload_2018-12-3_5-53-54.png

That way you it gives more room for the canoe and for skis, bikes,... you don’t have to reach over the roof as much. When I do put a roof rack on the 3 it will be the Yakama with the widest cross bars I can fit. I’d like at least 4-6” outside the towers on each side.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_5-22-49.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_5-22-49.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 80
  • upload_2018-12-3_5-22-49.png
    upload_2018-12-3_5-22-49.png
    303.8 KB · Views: 50
  • upload_2018-12-3_5-42-22.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_5-42-22.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 59
  • upload_2018-12-3_5-43-36.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_5-43-36.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 61
  • upload_2018-12-3_5-53-54.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_5-53-54.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
When I do put a roof rack on the 3 it will be the Yakama with the widest cross bars I can fit. I’d like at least 4-6” outside the towers on each side.

Your garage looks suspiciously and frighteningly like my own. :)

I agree with you about the bars being narrow (you have to admit that having those nice rounded corners with nothing sticking out beyond the tower or car *looks* better and keeps one from bonking one's head). For aesthetics and aero they win. But for cross-bar width and even cross-bar spread (From my measurements, this is gonna be an issue for me!) they come up a bit short.

My first thought is that somebody (!) needs to develop and market a "Landing Pad" that would bolt up semi-permanently to the car's factory anchor points. This leaves a small wart on the car semi-permanently, and allows for all Yakima equipment to be used (so you can choose your bar length, etc) and allows for lightening-quick installation and removal of the rack. When finished with racks for the season, or when headed to the car show, or when selling the car.... the Landing Pads are easily removed (yes, even if that takes a few minutes!) and the car is back to stock form. It won't look as sleek, but man would it be practical.

So I’m guessing no one must have actually purchased the rack in the few minutes it was up. Otherwise there would be pics all over. I am torn, as I really wanted a rack system, but when it was looking like a late Winter launch I ordered myself a Seasucker ski rack as my Christmas present to me. Tempted to return it, but might just use it this winter and sell it if it’s not for me.

I want a box eventually as that has been my method for most of the past 25 years. Then nobody knows you are going or coming from the mountains.

So I’m guessing no one must have actually purchased the rack in the few minutes it was up. Otherwise there would be pics all over. I am torn, as I really wanted a rack system, but when it was looking like a late Winter launch I ordered myself a Seasucker ski rack as my Christmas present to me. Tempted to return it, but might just use it this winter and sell it if it’s not for me.

I want a box eventually as that has been my method for most of the past 25 years. Then nobody knows you are going or coming from the mountains.
The roof racks were not up for only a few minutes... that page has been up for many days, and is still up. I think you are implying that the racks may have actually been for sale for a few minutes, but there is no indication of that. There is every indication that they were never for sale, and the sales page was introduced as "sold out" from the get-go. So yeah... we've heard from nobody who purchased them.

This may not be to everyone's liking but here's a couple shots of my Santa Cruz Tallboy riding safely inside the car with the rear seats folded. Plenty of room to spare. I do this all the time. It takes literally seconds to remove the front wheel and slide the bike into the trunk.

If a second bike must also be carried, a hitch rack can be added. The 1UP rack previously suggested in this thread is an excellent choice.

The car my Model 3 replaced was a Porsche 911 (997). I had a roof rack for it and I'd use it on occasion to carry my mountain bike. I was always extremely worried that I'd forget the bikes were up there and drive it somewhere with limited vertical clearance. Then one day it finally happened... I got lucky. It could have been a lot worse. The only thing I had to fix on the car was the windshield (after the bike fell forward). I will NEVER again use a roof rack to carry a bike.

View attachment 352014 View attachment 352015
And where does your luggage go when you take two bikes and two people for a two week road and cycling trip?

And where does your luggage go when you take two bikes and two people for a two week road and cycling trip?

Well, for me personally, I mount my Thule hitch rack to my Toyota 4Runner and hit the road.

If I didn't have a 4Runner, I'd split the cost of renting a Toyota Sienna minivan with my travel mate and throw the bikes inside. (been there, done that, works great)

First pictures of a roof rack in the wild!
Official Model 3 roof rack : teslamotors
Nicely done!

This is maybe the closest we have on the installation time:

>> It was a 25 minute install; but I'm sure second time around I can get it close to 10 minutes. Taking off is very simple to do. <<

Now... how did this guy get them?? Did Tesla have like ONE in stock when the page went up?

The roof racks were not up for only a few minutes... that page has been up for many days, and is still up. I think you are implying that the racks may have actually been for sale for a few minutes, but there is no indication of that. There is every indication that they were never for sale, and the sales page was introduced as "sold out" from the get-go. So yeah... we've heard from nobody who purchased them.

Quoting myself to eat my own crow so that nobody has to feed it to me. :) Still, the rack owner didn't respond to the comments claiming that he was "one of the few" who bought the racks before they were sold out. I asked on the thread if he'd tell us how he managed to obtain them.

Quoting myself to eat my own crow so that nobody has to feed it to me. :) Still, the rack owner didn't respond to the comments claiming that he was "one of the few" who bought the racks before they were sold out. I asked on the thread if he'd tell us how he managed to obtain them.
Tesla employee? Here’s to hoping Tesla has a batch of 10000 coming from China on the container ship right now...

Official word back from Yakima:

They do not plan to create a Landing Pad option that connects to the Model 3 anchor points. They *have* created clips to grab the window trim. And those things I really, really dislike. But for those interested, here's what you'd need, and what they look like.

TOWER: BaseLine Towers 4 Pack
FRONT CLIP/PAD: BaseClip 173 (B81-2)
REAR CLIP/PAD: BaseClip 173 (B81-2)
MINIMUM BAR SIZE: Medium (Roundbar*, Corebar, or Jetstream bar)
*Roundbar SL Adapter (part number 8003536) required to mount the older style roundbar to the newer tower

yakima clips 01.jpeg

yakima clis 02.jpeg

Official word back from Yakima:

They do not plan to create a Landing Pad option that connects to the Model 3 anchor points. They *have* created clips to grab the window trim. And those things I really, really dislike. But for those interested, here's what you'd need, and what they look like.

TOWER: BaseLine Towers 4 Pack
FRONT CLIP/PAD: BaseClip 173 (B81-2)
REAR CLIP/PAD: BaseClip 173 (B81-2)
MINIMUM BAR SIZE: Medium (Roundbar*, Corebar, or Jetstream bar)
*Roundbar SL Adapter (part number 8003536) required to mount the older style roundbar to the newer tower

View attachment 360704

View attachment 360705
Thanks. This information is disappointing but very helpful. I have to think that in time a third party will come up with an alternative solution, especially if the Tesla version is never in stock.

Thanks. This information is disappointing but very helpful. I have to think that in time a third party will come up with an alternative solution, especially if the Tesla version is never in stock.
It'll cost me at least 2x what it'll cost to just purchase what's on offer, but if I had to guess....Before camping season begins next year, I'll be making a modified Yakima landing pad solution that bolts up to those anchor points. Be great if I could just purchase the parts I need from the Tesla offering.

Reactions: Blue in NC