Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - SN1 - Anyone catch the door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife will think we should've bought a Civic or Accord until she sits in the Model 3 and is (hopefully) blown away by the overall package. But then, her criteria for a car are: it's reliable, black, gets her from point A to point B, and not much else. She could care less about it being an EV, unfortunately.

Mine will just be happy to have me (maybe, but probably not) shut up about it.

And all you guys are forgetting about those of us that have a ring on BOTH hands! o_O

Actually though, my first thought with the handles was that it was clear that this is developed in an area where people aren't wearing big winter gloves (like we do here in Wisconsin for several months of the year). Gloves scratching paint around door handles here is pretty typical, but beyond that, it will be hard from a dexterity standpoint to manage this kind of handle with a huge winter glove on. And telling people that they need to take their glove off in -10°F temps to grab a metal handle to open the door? Good luck!

Sales of the Model 3 should climb now due to the Ashley Madison crowd.

Spouse comes home at 2 am:

"Why aren't you wearing your wedding ring?"
"It scratches the car, honest!"

So if your significant other suddenly begs to get on the M3 reservation list today...

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3 and dsvick
A teslerati article is saying the Model 3 has auto opening doors like the model X. I looked at their time stamps and I don't see what' they're seeing - but then again I don't have a model X so I'm not familair with it's auto opening doors they're comparing the Model 3 to.

Any thought's?
Regarding the door opening at the 1:30 mark: The driver opened the door by pushing in the fat part of the handle with his thumb and grabbing the then exposed skinny part of the handle with his other fingers and pulling it out to unlatch and swing the door open. He then released the handle and allowed the door to swing open the rest of the way on its own momentum. It was all one fluid motion executed by the driver.

I'm pretty sure the door is unlatched as soon as you push the fat part of the handle with your thumb, and the skinny part is nothing more than something to grab onto to pull the door open. The reason I say this is the interior door release is just a button.