Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 + Snow Exposure = Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't BMW tear down the Model S and copy it? Or was it Mercedes? I can't remember..

All major incumbents Tesla is disrupting bought the Model S Classic when it first came out, drove it, disassembled it, put it back together, and drove it again. They did the same with the Model 3. Their problem is by the time they "copy" what they found in the Model S and get it into production, Tesla has already ramped their next generation Model 3. This pattern will repeat itself with Models Y, Pickup, new Roadster, etc. Tesla innovates in Silicon Valley time, while all the others innovate in Dinosaur time.

They probably don't have much software expertise in-house so I don't see them being able to seriously disassemble Tesla's millions of lines of code (MLOC) into machine language and then figure out how it works in whatever high-level language(s) it was written in (C, C++, Java, Python or ?) running on Linux.

For example:

Ford CEO: We tore apart a Tesla. We could build one like it. [October 24, 2014]

"Ford engineers apparently got their hands on a Model S and took a peek under the hood (and by that, we mean they drove it, took it apart completely, reassembled it, and drove it again). This kind of automotive teardown is a pretty common way for companies to study each other’s technology and engineering, and [now former CEO Mark] Fields told reporters Ford is “very familiar” with the Model S as a result of having studied it. And while he says the company has no plans to build a car that would compete directly with the Model S, Ford is considering building an electric car with a larger range than its current model, the Focus Electric."

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Just as an update - I've applied some dry lube on the window gasket and door handles. So far have been through two similar occurrences which initially triggered this thread. No problems, door and windows open just fine. The lube makes a difference and I would highly recommend it for anyone in cold climates and frameless windows.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Snow helped me today.

It automatically blocked out my license plate. LOL

snow.jpg

Reactions: StealthP3D
In recent puny -10 C in dry weather in NJ my Model 3 door handles were frozen and required some coaxing before I managed to open the car while 2000 Civic and Odyssey presented no problems but I'm sure someone will be around here shortly telling me that it didn't happen :)

That was after a little bit of preheating (at least 5 minutes but more likely 10-15). After that I drove for about 20 min with heat on, parked, went on with my practice, hit preheat again before changing back (so probably around another 10 min of preheat) and since I was coming from the passenger side decided to put my stuff in on that side before going to driver's side (didn't think about the cold at the moment) - the sound of that window tearing from the seal was quite scary although thankfully nothing actually got damaged...

Not really that big of a deal - just need to be mindful of something I never had to mind before with any other car when it is dry and there's no snow or ice or rain...

Reactions: voip-ninja
Have you tried applying dry lube around the window seal and gasket? Based on my experience it seems to make a difference. Also spraying some silicone lube inside of the door handle pocket seemed to have helped a bit with the handles freezing. They still freeze, but are easier to knock loose.

Report:

Right now in Chicagoland its -20F. Leaving the car out all day today as I did yesterday to see what my range drain is.

All of my doors and windows and trunk and frunk open just fine. Remember I applied dry track lube from Walmart to all seals etc. back in September. Washed the car 2 times a week and still no problem.

Anywhoo.

I'm used 482Wh/mi this morning driving to work ( one way = 49 miles ).

There was about an inch of wet snow /ice on my MR this morning. I couldn't get my car to wake via the app causing me to be unable to preheat the car as I typically do. I went outside and was luckily able to open the door after banging on the frozen handles to wake the car. I then closed the car door and started to precondition the car via the now working app. The only issue was that the defrosters would not come on even though the car was covered in ice and snow. My car is set to automatic on the climate control since I know that can cause issues with the defrosters if it is set to manual mode. To get the defrosters to work I had to enter the car and tap the icons on the display to turn them on and leave my phone in the car so the car would remain on. The defrosters remained on for no more than 15 minutes since that is when I went outside again to check the progress and they were off.

Tesla needs to add the ability to manually select the defrosters in the app. The automatic setting/ algorithm they are using to turn them on isn't working.

There was about an inch of wet snow /ice on my MR this morning. I couldn't get my car to wake via the app causing me to be unable to preheat the car as I typically do. I went outside and was luckily able to open the door after banging on the frozen handles to wake the car. I then closed the car door and started to precondition the car via the now working app. The only issue was that the defrosters would not come on even though the car was covered in ice and snow. My car is set to automatic on the climate control since I know that can cause issues with the defrosters if it is set to manual mode. To get the defrosters to work I had to enter the car and tap the icons on the display to turn them on and leave my phone in the car so the car would remain on. The defrosters remained on for no more than 15 minutes since that is when I went outside again to check the progress and they were off.

Tesla needs to add the ability to manually select the defrosters in the app. The automatic setting/ algorithm they are using to turn them on isn't working.

I'm not too far from you. Next time this happens, try this:

unlock and relock the car from the app (you may have to walk within bluetooth range).

the car will wake up much quicker, and then you can preheat it.

My defrosters work with my app. I can't manually set them to come on, but the indicator on the app shows them on and when I get in the car...its on.

Now.....they won't come on above a certain temp, but they do come on.

What dry lube product are you guys using? I have crystalline tint, is it safe to use? How are you applying it?

Was 13* in charlotte this morning and encountered the window not going down issue. I normally condition the car 20 minutes before leaving, but forgot this morning (of course the first teens morning we’ve had in a while) and it only got about 5 minutes to heat up. The driver side of the car was completely free of ice, but it did rain yesterday. The door handle was stuck, but it was very easy to break free with a couple light taps, no big deal, but when I opened the door the window didn’t recess, I was running late for work and tried to close it and no luck, ended up scuffing the trim.

Managed to get it in the garage with the door cracked, got my wife’s hair dryer and after about 5 minutes the window went down, saw a couple small streaks of moisture. Would like to avoid having to do this again in the future if I can, lol.

What dry lube product are you guys using? I have crystalline tint, is it safe to use? How are you applying it?

Was 13* in charlotte this morning and encountered the window not going down issue. I normally condition the car 20 minutes before leaving, but forgot this morning (of course the first teens morning we’ve had in a while) and it only got about 5 minutes to heat up. The driver side of the car was completely free of ice, but it did rain yesterday. The door handle was stuck, but it was very easy to break free with a couple light taps, no big deal, but when I opened the door the window didn’t recess, I was running late for work and tried to close it and no luck, ended up scuffing the trim.

Managed to get it in the garage with the door cracked, got my wife’s hair dryer and after about 5 minutes the window went down, saw a couple small streaks of moisture. Would like to avoid having to do this again in the future if I can, lol.

I used this:

a05a1fc1-eb6f-46a7-9b33-e316195ed30c_1.6f5713174d18d80cc76ed8b323cb7723.png

Walmart $6. I sprayed it onto a cloth and wiped the cloth on all door seals, window seals, trunk seals, frunk seals. I also sprayed it down into the frunk and trunk latches. I wiped it on all door handles. All back in the fall. No problems with anything so far.

I used this:

a05a1fc1-eb6f-46a7-9b33-e316195ed30c_1.6f5713174d18d80cc76ed8b323cb7723.png

Walmart $6. I sprayed it onto a cloth and wiped the cloth on all door seals, window seals, trunk seals, frunk seals. I also sprayed it down into the frunk and trunk latches. I wiped it on all door handles. All back in the fall. No problems with anything so far.

That’s the one I see pop up in google search, that and a dry Teflon product. Any issue/impact on window tint?

What software version are you on? Both the car version and the phone version.

The intent of this forum isn't really to argue whether this issue is unique to Tesla or not. I'm just saying that it seems to be an issue, and what people have done about it if anything.

So far through others feedback and my own research I would suggest the following for the Model 3 in the winter:
  • Apply silicone lube around the outer edges of the door seal to prevent the door/window freezing shut at these locations
  • Apply dry lube onto the bottom edge of windows to prevent freezing at this location. The dry lube supposedly prevent smearing of the windows
  • If above fails try to use credit card or de-icer at the bottom edge
  • I've also applied silicone lube into the door handle pocket and charging jack lever. Will update to see if good results experienced
  • Turn off mirror folding for the winter, to prevent having to worry about another thing to de-ice
  • Turn off automatic wipers, at least when you know snow is coming, to avoid them turning on while windshield hasn't been cleaned yet and potentially damaging the mechanism
  • Tesla seems to be working on a solution to prevent freezing inside the charge port. Standby for update from your SC or contact them for more detail
  • Preheat whenever possible
Something that I learned over the years from master detaillers, all will tell you the same, YOU NEVER USE SILICONE OR OIL ON CONTACT WITH PLASTICS RUBBER AND ESP PAINT. The organic or lubricant chemistry attacks all plastics and I learned the hard way that Gummi Pfdge is a few bucks, Porsche BMW AMG AM state of the art seals some 400-500 $. So it is just uniformed bad advice. One could be mean and withhold this but no point. so NO SILICONE on door handles unless wishing them mixing with our blue goo salt and react, no oils, synthetic or otherwise as it is too hard to apply precisely... NON SILICONE BOTTOM OF WINDOW just rained which has a tiny bit of alcohol on it. there are very few non reactive Oils in the world. Suffice it to say that gummi on the inside is the only hope. Silicone will weaken the rubber, dry it summer and some winter the seals will just peel off some staying on window.. just chemistry nothing more..

Yes the dealerships use silicone to get rid of customers but pro détaillera know. How st MSDS warn of the reactive nature, but most cheap makers falsely claim ‘safe on rubbers’.. nope

Just as an update - I've applied some dry lube on the window gasket and door handles. So far have been through two similar occurrences which initially triggered this thread. No problems, door and windows open just fine. The lube makes a difference and I would highly recommend it for anyone in cold climates and frameless windows.

You also spay the dry lube behind the door handles?

Something that I learned over the years from master detaillers, all will tell you the same, YOU NEVER USE SILICONE OR OIL ON CONTACT WITH PLASTICS RUBBER AND ESP PAINT. The organic or lubricant chemistry attacks all plastics and I learned the hard way that Gummi Pfdge is a few bucks, Porsche BMW AMG AM state of the art seals some 400-500 $.

That's false. Silicone is widely specified to lubricate rubber o-rings, plastic parts, rubber door mouldings, etc.

Permatex is one of the most trusted names in chemical tools in the automotoive industry:

https://www.permatex.com/products/l...lubricants/permatex-silicone-spray-lubricant/

Reactions: Amendale