Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 + Snow Exposure = Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of the flaws were presented inaccurately. A few people here tried to say the car simply wasn't suitable for winter. That's certainly debatable but the thousands happily using it in a winter environment would strongly contradict that.

You are not the Judge and jury on what is said here, that's why it's a forum. To say all the points raised here about all the supposed flaws were ALL valid points (while contesting anyone who had a different experience) is ridiculous in the extreme.

I know the OP never stated the car was simply unsuitable for winter use and I don't know anyone else who made that claim either.

It is indisputable that there are many scenarios where currently an ICE vehicle does much better in the wintertime than an EV does. To add to that the Tesla has unique issues like frozen charge port that make it even more challenging to use in the winter than necessary.

I like my Model 3 and it does pretty well in cold temperatures other than the issues I listed... most of which don't impact me substantially (as I mentioned the car is nearly always garaged)... however I wouldn't even consider taking it on one of my multi-day snowshoeing trips because I wouldn't want to deal with this stuff when I'm 80 miles from the nearest charger and charging the car might not work.

The frameless windows, the door handles, and the charge port are inherently problematic design decisions in colder climates. These are FACTS. The degree to which they inconvenience you is a matter of debate, and is likely more affected by your overnight parking solution.

But the fact of the matter is: the car was designed by California people, living in California. They've attempted to fix some of those flaws with software, but 1's and 0's are only so effective in below zero weather.

I honestly am not seeing people choosing EV's for moral superiority but here's a more positive thought.

True, that was just the comment of a bully trying to disrupt productive discussion about how the Model 3 really is a nice car in the winter. No one was acting morally superior, the accusation of "moral superiority" was fabricated out of thin air in an attempt to distract and disrupt. It's a classic bully tactic when things are going the wrong way.

Personally, I chose an AWD Model 3 for its comfort/convenience/performance attributes. And it's driving dynamics. Because I can afford it and I like to ski a lot. There is nothing like heating up the seats and cabin of your car that's been parked in a winter mountain storm for hours while sitting on the chairlift. I've actually had frozen doors and windows more often on previous ICE cars than the Model 3 so I think that's a distraction. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying there are a few people who are trying to make it SEEM like it happens on a Tesla more than an ICE car. If anything, the Tesla is a little easier to get into when encased in ice (even if I forgot I could pre-heat it remotely). Tell me frozen Teslas are a big problem when I'm trying to open my ice encased Volvo after a day of skiing and it takes 5 minutes just to get inside so I can BEGIN the defrost procedure. The Model 3 is a much better snow/ice car. And it drives more securely on slippery surfaces. And the heater comes on almost instantly compared to previous ICE cars.

I give it a 9.7/10 in the winter. My previous Mazda AWD CX5 gets a 8.5/10 and the Volvo S80 T-6 a 9.2/10.

This is a common issue with frameless windows and so it’s not a Tesla specific issue. My previous car was a Mercedes which had frameless windows and it exhibited the exact same behavior in freezing conditions.

We had a 2011 VW CC with frameless windows.
Not once in 7 years did we have an issue.
Sure, it was totally iced up a few times. But the key is, IT RECOVERED 100% once we cleaned it up.

The Model 3 does not. It forgets were it is and mangles your chrome.

The only time the CC ever did freeze up was when their was clearly 1/4" of ice over the entire car.
So you had a clear VISIBLE warning to be careful. One quick scrape along the bottom edge was all it needed (no credit card needed).
With the Model 3 you might have washed the car 3 days ago (or rained), then, in bone dry weather, it dips into the 20's and the Windows all freeze with NO VISIBLE ice or warning. You open the door, clunk and the window is still up.

Either the felt gasket they used doesn't breath and dry out or the motors are very weak.

My guess is the motors are weak to keep weight and cost down and that is the root of the issue.
It would be interesting to measure how much torque the windows have compared to most cars.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what Tesla did with the "Cold Weather" firmware update to try and avoid the above problems.
The windows do a final "Full up" when you hit the brake, but I'm not sure how that avoids the issue.
All I can think of is, there is more power going up than down. Or perhaps the felt gasket along the top of the door does not drain water out when the Window is full up. And you only need full up when you are driving.

The frameless windows, the door handles, and the charge port are inherently problematic design decisions in colder climates. These are FACTS. The degree to which they inconvenience you is a matter of debate, and is likely more affected by your overnight parking solution.

I park out in the ice/snow at my ski cabin. And, no, it's not a fact that frameless doors are more problematic in freezing weather. My Volvo and Mazda both had frame type doors and the water would get between the door seal and the body and freeze tight. It helped to treat them with silicone spray/dielectric grease but it wasn't 100%. I've switched to treating the window/door seal rubber with Gummi Pflege and haven't had an issue, even under conditions in which skiers next to me were pounding their door frames to get it unstuck. Anyone who insists this is primarily a problem with frameless windows doesn't know what they are talking about. They just need to know how to treat the rubber seals for the climate they are in.

But the fact of the matter is: the car was designed by California people, living in California.

Actually, Tesla's design team are not all from California, not even most of them, but that's a narrative that is endlessly repeated. Tesla knew they were designing a world car and that's why they gave it heated seats and the best rear window defroster I've ever had the pleasure of using. That thing is powerful!

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
Indeed - that's the mature thing to do if the pill is too big.

The truth is a hard pill to swallow......lol.

It's not so much the childish temper tantrum in the face of facts, it was being called an idiot for my experience. I'll stay above it for once, because if there is an ice storm where that person lives this week, it's not like he'll ever come back here to confirm that his door handles froze over.

It's not so much the childish temper tantrum in the face of facts, it was being called an idiot for my experience. I'll stay above it for once, because if there is an ice storm where that person lives this week, it's not like he'll ever come back here to confirm that his door handles froze over.

Hey wait.....my post was a test!!!

That's how I test the ignore button.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
I know the OP never stated the car was simply unsuitable for winter use and I don't know anyone else who made that claim either.

It is indisputable that there are many scenarios where currently an ICE vehicle does much better in the wintertime than an EV does. To add to that the Tesla has unique issues like frozen charge port that make it even more challenging to use in the winter than necessary.

I like my Model 3 and it does pretty well in cold temperatures other than the issues I listed... most of which don't impact me substantially (as I mentioned the car is nearly always garaged)... however I wouldn't even consider taking it on one of my multi-day snowshoeing trips because I wouldn't want to deal with this stuff when I'm 80 miles from the nearest charger and charging the car might not work.

In an earlier comment, I think voip questioned the OP's post.

I got flamed from voip. Now, I'm going to sort of support voip. voip will surely disavow any support from me. Anyway...

How do we know the OP post is real? Someone posts a story. How do we know it's real?

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner

No one called you an idiot for your experience. Try to stick to the facts and not make stuff up like it's personal.

And for the record, I've already been through multiple ice storms, yes, the handles did freeze up, a quick hit with the heel of my hand restored operation. Some people make a mountain out of a molehill, I've never had a car that didn't have windows and doors that would freeze up in those conditions. If there is a driving wind, it's worse.

Again..

The first post I posted in this thread was a suggestion.

Not a defense of Tesla or anything of the sort.

Simple.....

Buy this can of silicone window and door treatment for $6 from Walmart and it would probably do the trick for ya.

That's it.

It works for me.

Not sure how anyone finds the fanboy in that....but.....

Last edited:
voip-ninja sparked a thought -- which surely voip will disavow.

In an earlier comment, I think voip questioned the OP's post.

How do we know the OP post is real? Someone posts a story. How do we know it's real?

No one knows if he is real or not....nor do we know if anyone posting anything in this forum is real....but it can make for interesting discussions. lol