Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct!

Finally got a clear and proper answer directly from the service centers.
1. Map updates ONLY download through WiFi AND has to have at least THREE bars
2. It has to be downloaded all in one time (3-5 hours) depending on internet speed >5Gb file size.
3. If you drive the car or disconnected from WiFi while it’s in progress, it will simply fail and have to start the download from scratch again next time connected to WiFi. (This is different behavior from my Model S where in the past I got map updates even with LTE, probably not very sustainable considering how many model 3s out there)

So, TL DR, if you want map update, connect car to WiFi with at least 3 bars and leave it alone for 3-5 hours.

Since I already have 2018.42.4 installed, and finally got the new map update. At first NoA still wasn’t showing, but HOV Lane Option in Navigation is there (the only way to tell if we have the latest map or not as far as user end); the car rebooted itself.
Voila, after two weeks trying to get this feature.

Attachments

• 20D8636F-9D0F-4E52-803D-101680269FCF.jpeg
    20D8636F-9D0F-4E52-803D-101680269FCF.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 92
  • 88D1BE3E-E646-45D7-B08B-126A85148A14.jpeg
    88D1BE3E-E646-45D7-B08B-126A85148A14.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 8248DFBA-DE49-45EE-9983-F52C6DD93D77.jpeg
    8248DFBA-DE49-45EE-9983-F52C6DD93D77.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 84
My EAP is driving like drunken monkey. anyone ran into issue like this on 42.4?

It is driving all over the lines, on the dash it is showing lines correctly and showing it is going over. This is local road, marking are clear. This is worst on curved road. Yes, Auto-pilot is engaged, it is steering, but it is almost going into oncoming lane. These curves are not particularly sharp either. Many times before it drove fine on this road.

Weather is clear, cold, night time. No warning about adverse weather on the screen either. Yes, I rebooted after software update.

Note: I do not have any open Alcohol containers in the cabin.;)

I’m on 42.4 RWD LR and EAP did wonderfully today. Navigate on AP still needs some work but the AP was still doing great staying in lanes and such.

Went back about 6 pages and couldn’t find anything... what does 42.2.1 do/fix? Went from 42.2 to 42.2.1 on our 3 and for the first time on either car didn’t get an ‘Update Completed’ notification or the car sittting at the ‘release notes’. (Not that there are any changes.)

So... WTF. Strange.

And as an added note, ours was also one of the ones with no calibration for NoA: straight to being available.

Went back about 6 pages and couldn’t find anything... what does 42.2.1 do/fix? Went from 42.2 to 42.2.1 on our 3 and for the first time on either car didn’t get an ‘Update Completed’ notification or the car sittting at the ‘release notes’. (Not that there are any changes.)

I have no idea, but I've noticed the upgrades on Teslafi seem to indicate 42.2 -> 42.2.1 -> 44.x

In other words, there's a problem with upgrading from 42.2 to a later firmware directly. 42.2.1 is the fix. Expect to get another update soon.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I’m on 42.3 and noticed my efficiency is worse than before (same commute). We’ve had some odd weather recently so not sure if that’s affecting it.
Am on 42.2 (and just went to 42.2.1)...I noticed the same--lower efficiency.

I understand the lower temp argument, but I went on exactly the same route twice since updating and both times, it was less efficient. Exactly the same driving dynamics (slightly downhill) for a 5 mile stretch in similar weather (mid 60's). About 15-20 w/mi less efficient. I was doing this to see how much better the new regen update was...I thought it was suppose to generate more, but it actually wound up being less efficient.

On my 60 mile work commute where there is more variability in driving style/temps, seeing 20-30 w/mi increase in consumption

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
It’s weird. In the morning on my 5.3 mile commute I’m averaging 168wh/mi but on the way home it’s like 415. There is a Downhill/uphill variable here but it seems to perform quite a bit less efficient after sitting in the parking garage all day vs my home garage overnight. I also charge at night but not overnight so the battery isn’t “warm” when I leave in the morning.

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I've noticed the upgrades on Teslafi seem to indicate 42.2 -> 42.2.1 -> 44.x

In other words, there's a problem with upgrading from 42.2 to a later firmware directly. 42.2.1 is the fix. Expect to get another update soon.

My upgrade/downgrade path has been very strange. A few weeks ago I went from 42.2 to 42.4. Sunday I got an "upgrade" notification that downgraded me to 42.2.1. Mobile ranger replaced a headlight for me yesterday and requested a push, and I got 42.4 again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Notes of interest:
* While on 42.4 for a week or so my dash cam USB drive worked fine and never got corrupted. After one day on 42.2.1 I got the grey X of death on the icon again... sigh.. reformatting again.
* When replacing a headlight the firmware update is mandatory - there's an onboard module that controls the blinking speed and it is only set with a firmware update. However, after the first push, it kept blinking too fast. They pushed again and it worked. Personally I prefer the higher blink rate though.

My upgrade/downgrade path has been very strange. A few weeks ago I went from 42.2 to 42.4. Sunday I got an "upgrade" notification that downgraded me to 42.2.1. Mobile ranger replaced a headlight for me yesterday and requested a push, and I got 42.4 again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Notes of interest:
* While on 42.4 for a week or so my dash cam USB drive worked fine and never got corrupted. After one day on 42.2.1 I got the grey X of death on the icon again... sigh.. reformatting again.
* When replacing a headlight the firmware update is mandatory - there's an onboard module that controls the blinking speed and it is only set with a firmware update. However, after the first push, it kept blinking too fast. They pushed again and it worked. Personally I prefer the higher blink rate though.
I went from 42.1 to 42.3. Never got 42.2 or 42.4. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dash cam is working fine. Browser still errors out a lot.

So has anyone else driven next to a bicycle on the highway going 70mph? Certainly got my attention.
So I got passed by a car with a bike attached to the cars bike rack. Looked at the display and sure enough EAP interpreted the bike on the thule rack as someone riding the bicycle directly behind the car passing me. Great drafting position!
Couldn't help but laugh about it. I just wish I could ride my road bike that fast:)