Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After installing 42.2 last night - Navigate on Autopilot wasn't ready since the additional camera were calibrating (94%)

I drove to work this morning (10 miles on autopilot) and the cameras are still calibrating at 96%. How long does it take for it to be fully calibrated? I was hoping I could use NOP on the way home from work tonight.

After update to 42.2 yesterday evening, initially it said calibrating cameras 98%, but within 3 miles it said calibration complete. I did use it, but it is still very Beta, it did not show direction to exit lane on first exit. But later on the same drive it did show exit asked for confirmation and took the exit on confirm.
When another car was merging, Model 3 slowed down to allow merging of other car, which is nice. Hope it improves further.

Another Gift I got after last time update was Blank rearview camera. Not every time, but when it came it was blank indefinitely until I put it in forward and then moved to reverse again. Ofcourse I rebooted immediately after the update like I have been doing.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: follow.johnny
I got 42.2 on Saturday from the “early access” 41.4 and am running into tons of issues that I didn’t have before in any earlier updates.

The stalk hasn’t responded twice on two separate days. Wouldn’t go into drive or reverse. Also phone as key has worked flawless before but twice the car wouldn’t open, then when inside wouldn’t recognize my phone in my pocket.

Anyone else running into similar issues since the update.

Now that I finally received 2018.42.2, how do I get my Android Tesla app to update to a more recent version from 3.6.1? It doesn't look like it auto updates, and I couldn't see anything in the Play Store other than "open" which opens my current version.

RT

Just got 2018.14.2 installed, and it looks like Navigate on Autopilot has been taken out entirely. No mention of it in the release notes. Speculation on reddit is that they have disabled it entirely on new updates due to an issue.
It's not taken out. I had the same issue, but after calling Tesla, I realized the cameras have to calibrate to enable it. I had to drive 60 miles and use auto steer and the vehicle reset on its own while driving and navigate on autopilot became available. It was like playing a video game.

Reactions: Richt
I received this update yesterday and today I got to test it. A few things to note for noobies. there are three steps to enable NOA. The first is a one time step to enable the feature and select the lane change behavior. The descriptions such as MadMax do not describe how the lane change is executed but rather how frequently it will attempt a lane change and is based on your set speed versus your actual speed. If you are traveling slower than your set speed and an adjacent lane is moving faster, it will attempt to change lanes. The delta in speed is what the different settings mean. With Madmax you only need to be going slightly slower for it to want to find a faster path. The second button to press is the one that appears after you have entered a route that includes freeway travel. To tell the system to use NOA instead of just AP, you need to press this button in the detailed list of turns. It will turn blue telling you it is ready. The final step is to double press the shifter all the way down (TM3) and watch the display change to a single blue line and NOA is engaged.

The next area of confusion is merging. Sometimes with moderate traffic it seems to handle the merger smoothly but in heavy traffic it drives like a skittish and timid ons lady. Most of us driving here in Souther CA are use to accelerating up to the speed of traffic or above it to effect a merger. Instead NOA always wants to slow down to merge. This can be dangerous for two reasons; 1) the drivers in the lane you are merging into expect you to speed up and 2) the drivers behind you expect you to speed up so when you abruptly slow down you create a problem for both drivers in that your behavior is unexpected. Be especially careful when merging onto a road with heavy traffic, especially stop & go traffic. It does not appear to handle this well yet.

Lane changing can be another area of confusion. In a lot of traffic, you may see the black sign saying it wants to change lanes and to confirm it but I initially found two and maybe three problems. I couldn't always tell which lane it wanted to change into so I wasn't sure whether to use the turn signal for a left or right turn, finally I found it easier to just use the drive select lever and give it a short pull down to confirm for it to go ahead. Second, it may speed up but then slow down and miss the opening. It almost always prefers to change in behind someone rather than in front of someone. Humans behave just the opposite. The reason that humans accelerate is that you reduce the chances of hitting someone in the new lane if you are speeding away from them and it gives them time to apply the brakes and slow down if need be. Slowing down and trying to squeeze in behind them is not the way people generally behave and leads to confusion for everyone. NOA needs to learn how humans handle these situations and to mimic human behavior. The instructions say you will hear a chime when the car wants to change lanes, but honestly, if it chimed I never heard it. Either the chime is too soft or missing and it needs to be strong enough to get our attention. When in heavy traffic and you are trying to watch the road and traffic it can be very hard to keep looking at the display to see if it wants to change lanes. With 4 to 8 lanes on a side here, it may or may not move you to the exit lane in time when traffic is heavy. My general rule is to start looking to get out of the HOV lane about 2 miles prior to the exit as it can easily take that long to fight your way over and it usually takes very aggressive driving to get there, especially in areas like near LAX on the 405 freeway. One time today, I had to direct the lane changes to get it over far enough and fast enough to make the exit and one time it did it almost correctly but the exit was 2 lanes wide and it put me in the wrong lane for the upcoming turn at the traffic light. The instructions say that a countdown message will appear warning you of distance remain before NOA reverts to AP but it it is there, I didn't see it so it needs to be more prominently displayed.

The last area, I am still confused on what we are supposed to do so hopefully someone that has this figured out better will chime in and that is what one is supposed to do and when once on the exit. At what point are we supposed to take over. It does a chime but still appears to be driving the car (somewhat erratically) and while one can force a disengagement (or maybe NOA is disengaged) the throttle continues to erratically change speed and the steering wheel fights you for control. The instructions posted by Tesla are not very clear. If the exit is one that leads to a stop sign or traffic signal with driver action required it should completely disengage NOA and AP and tell you to take control. If the exit is one that leads into another freeway with no stopping but merging it should continue to operate and not chime or anything other than driving the road and merging.

While on a navigation route and on surface streets, while passing vehicles parked along the road it gave the loud collision warning three times. It did not apply brakes and I could see no reason for the warning.

Another finding today is that the web browser back button won't do a back but instead closes the browser as if you pressed the X next to it. I tried numerous ways to only touch the back arrow but it always showed the X being pressed.

Finally, I think this is a huge step up from AP with a lot of promise. The car needs to learn a few things to drive a little better but the improvements are clearly coming and coming fast. I do think it will need the newer processor and I wouldn't be surprised to see the current cameras replaced with better high resolution cameras and perhaps a few more of them. As I'm sure any of you that are photographers can understand, with these cameras having different focal length lenses including some with very wide angles that tend to distort images, it can be an extra difficult processing challenge to get an accurate picture of the world around you. Imagine if as you turned your head your vision went from normal like a 50mm lens to a fisheye 15 mm lens and you were trying to identify objects and judge distance and speed. It would be very difficult.

It sure is fun being on the cutting edge of new technology.
upload_2018-10-31_17-54-40.gif
:)

Note posted on TM3 for too.