Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2130BD36-F2C5-45EE-BAA5-BE81D44E437F.jpeg
I've received updates both over LTE and WIFI and the updates have been about 50/50.
Ok thanks. I just got the car today and it’s having a little trouble connecting to my WiFi that’s why I asked ... do you know what this fan does on the app?

Ah, as a RWD owner, that explains why I do feel a distinct increase in regen.

This might be perception rather than reality, but it also feels like one has to exert a bit more pressure on the accelerator as well. And as a plus the car also feels quicker on initial acceleration . . . .

Like I said, maybe it's just perception and not reality, but that's what it seems to me.
Regen is definitely more now on the RWD. I noticed it this morning.

Reactions: FSKT and Sweet OJ
yea I think it's just an autopilot issue, but then again, it's getting off at the wrong exit without me signaling and it's on drive on Nav so that's not good right? Looks like they have a ways to go.

I'll see what happens tomorrow :)

*Looks around to see if Blader is watching, and sees the coast is clear"

Yeah, it's definitely disappointing because that's exactly the kind of issue that I was hoping drive-on-nav would solve. I'm going to reserve judgement until we have more data.

Last edited:
Tried it out today, but definitely not ready for Bay Area traffic. It tries to merge over too soon so I didn't use it much in traffic, but was cool to see it take exits and highways on its own. One other thing to be cautious of is merging into another highway that is metered. If I didn't stop it AP was ready to blow by the light. Looking forward to trying it out when there isn't traffic, pretty good for beta release but it is probably a good thing they didn't enable auto lane change yet.

Not specific to 2018.42 but after driving a Model X loaner today curious as to why a typical passenger car looks more like a moving key fob then a real car in the Model 3 EAP display where a passenger car in the Model X display looks like a real car.
In general the Model X car/truck images in the EAP were just much sharper. On the other hand having two screens in the Model X was very disconcerting. Amazing how quickly old habits died of viewing the display behind the steering wheel once I started using the single Model 3 display.

Tried out Nav on Autopilot on a commute (Bay Area):
1. On the big round turn from freeway to freeway it was going too slow.
2. Suggested lane change to keep on route way too early.
3. Overtake suggestion doesn't super work simply because the lane changes are too slow and it doesn't accel while switching etc.
4. Merging behavior seems improved, it seem to know how to scissor in when a car is merging slightly ahead. However it suddenly shifts to the center of lane (driver behind may feel intentional blocking).
5. Auto-taking exit ramp surprised me. It also kept using the wrong side signals at the wrong time.
6. Way too many on-screen warnings with tiny words. The warning used to mean "wiggle ur steering", now you actually have to try to read it.

All in all, its definitely very early beta and you would be helping Tesla label data by using it. Good ol' stay-in-lane autopilot is easier to use tho.

Sidenote: Regen braking is slightly stronger, feels like a "medium" now. It's satisfactory but I could use something stronger.

The email is pretty clear.
“In order to receive this update, make sure your car is connected to a strong WiFi signal. “

My car is connected to a very strong WiFi signal with over 200 Mbps of bandwidth on a test I ran between the car and the router. Nothing. Still stuck on 39.7. I received 39.6 and 39.7 early in those rollouts, so I'm confused. Back to being patient now...

My car is connected to a very strong WiFi signal with over 200 Mbps of bandwidth on a test I ran between the car and the router. Nothing. Still stuck on 39.7. I received 39.6 and 39.7 early in those rollouts, so I'm confused. Back to being patient now...

TeslaFi still only shows around 36% of Model 3’s reporting there having 2018.42.2, so it appears that most 3 owners still don’t have it yet.

Reactions: ConcordeSST