Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If he wanted it after the job was done, he should not have pushed it early. My mobile tech also pushed an update to my car at the beginning of his work day because he wanted it applied by the time he arrived. I instinctively complied and he was happy about it.

Yea, I agree. It wasn't a big deal for him, I just don't think he expected anyone to jump on it right away. It's interesting how quickly the process works for them, though. He pushed it again while we were still on the phone and he was driving to meet me and I got the notification almost instantly.

If he wanted it after the job was done, he should not have pushed it early. My mobile tech also pushed an update to my car at the beginning of his work day because he wanted it applied by the time he arrived. I instinctively complied and he was happy about it.

Some parts with onboard ECMs actually require a full system initialization, which they drive through the firmware updates. E.g.: my replacement headlight was blinking twice as fast as normal, which required the firmware update to "set" it to the proper speed. (Source: Mobile tech who replaced my headlight.)

Yea, I agree. It wasn't a big deal for him, I just don't think he expected anyone to jump on it right away. It's interesting how quickly the process works for them, though. He pushed it again while we were still on the phone and he was driving to meet me and I got the notification almost instantly.
I think this is more annoying for the tech on MCU1 than MCU2.... MCU2 can stage an update in a minute or two. MCU1 can take an hour between pushing the update and the alarm clock showing up which sounds awful for a tech’s schedule.

Just got the pop up after the mobile service man left. So is this one safe to install? What if i do the pin?? How is it handled when I Valet the car?? Is there a Valet pin also?
Saw a YouTube video on this. The valet pin is separate from pin to drive. So you don’t have to give your pin to drive pin to valet your car. Just put it in valet mode and car recognizes it’s in valet mode and does not require entry of any pin for the person parking your car.

Installed 2018.48.1 last night when I was away on a business trip. When I returned home this evening (my car was garaged and not being used) I wanted to go for a spin and wasn’t able to wake up the car from the Tesla app as I’ve done without issues in the past. Thoughts of my car being borked somehow from last nights FW update ran through my mind. I tried opening the drivers side door and that did the trick. It looked like it was rebooting (saw a large red T on the screen) and a few seconds later the app was active. Strange though because this was the first time this occurred. All other FW updates the Tesla iOS app immediately connected to my car and woke it up within seconds and I never had a screen reboot all by itself without any user intervention. Anyone experience this with this new FW update?
Forgot to add: my rear view camera is now flickering when I place car in reverse. I’ll post pics when I can.

Last edited:
Installed 2018.48.1 last night when I was away on a business trip. When I returned home this evening (my car was garaged and not being used) I wanted to go for a spin and wasn’t able to wake up the car from the Tesla app as I’ve done without issues in the past. Thoughts of my car being borked somehow from last nights FW update ran through my mind. I tried opening the drivers side door and that did the trick. It looked like it was rebooting (saw a large red T on the screen) and a few seconds later the app was active. Strange though because this was the first time this occurred. All other FW updates the Tesla iOS app immediately connected to my car and woke it up within seconds and I never had a screen reboot all by itself without any user intervention. Anyone experience this with this new FW update?
Forgot to add: my rear view camera is now flickering when I place car in reverse. I’ll post pics when I can.
The app has been updated to work better with the software update - try updating the app. I just got the software update last night but I updated the app several days ago and have had trouble using the phone as key ever since, so I hope now that they are both updated this problem will have gone away.

The app has been updated to work better with the software update - try updating the app. I just got the software update last night but I updated the app several days ago and have had trouble using the phone as key ever since, so I hope now that they are both updated this problem will have gone away.
Thanks. But I had already updated the iOS app to the latest version before the FW update.

How big is the file for the update? I am on 42.4 still, and as of today, activity on my wifi network has picked up to my M3. So far, over the course of the last 24 hours, it has pulled down 3.2GB of data and uploaded 99.8MB. An update has not triggered yet. Looks like the data has come down in chunks too (see attached).

Just thought I'd ask. I'll keep an eye on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181217-002832.png
    Screenshot_20181217-002832.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 73
How big is the file for the update? I am on 42.4 still, and as of today, activity on my wifi network has picked up to my M3. So far, over the course of the last 24 hours, it has pulled down 3.2GB of data and uploaded 99.8MB. An update has not triggered yet. Looks like the data has come down in chunks too (see attached).

Mine was 738 MB but I was already on 46.

Reactions: Frunkenstein

Your Model 3 isn't just going to sit on an update after it's been downloaded. It should notify you via the app almost immediately that a new update is available after it has finished downloading. Most of us are not on 2018.48.x yet, just gotta be patient.

3.2GB sounds like it would be a map update.

There are a lot of times it prompts me to change lanes when it's not appropriate. I just ignore it. You'll get the single beep to remind you one time, but after that it's silent. The visual cue on the screen remains there but it doesn't bother me.
Ya I don’t like the beep and the constant telling me to change lanes. I guess I’ll try turning it off. But will it still work for changing freeway and taking off ramps?

Ya I don’t like the beep and the constant telling me to change lanes. I guess I’ll try turning it off. But will it still work for changing freeway and taking off ramps?
The options are Disabled, Mild, Average and Mad Max. If you set it down to Disabled or Mild, you won't get as many suggestions as if you are on Average or Mad Max.

Mine doesn't beep unless there is a required lane change and I'm not in the correct lane. If traffic is too busy that I don't want to do the suggested lane changes, I just ignore them...as I'm usually busy watching traffic.

I finally got the update today! Now on 48.12.1 My M3
grabbed another 823MB overnight bringing the total download over the past three days to a whopping 6.5GB and 163MB upload. Just thought I'd share. Definitely not something to do over cellular or slow WiFi!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181218-130748.png
    Screenshot_20181218-130748.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20181218-144505.png
    Screenshot_20181218-144505.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 38