Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, a car company that actually listens to customers feature requests.
Another unexpected feature I think with this release. The charge port I think now unlocks on it's own with bluetooth. Previously I always had to unlock the car by opening a door to get the charge port to open with a click of the charge cable button. Tonight I just went out the the garage with my phone and the charge port opened with the cable button without opening the car. Same deal I think with pressing the bottom of the door to open it.

This has probably been discussed but what usb drive is everyone using? I saw a video where someone said they could only use a 32gb drive because that’s the only one that can be formatted to fat32. Is that true? Doesn’t seem right lol

I just plugged in a new 256GB USB flash drive into my 3. Formatted just fine as FAT32 on my MacBook. Also changed it from MBR to GPT on a hunch that it is less likely to become corrupted that way.

Many OS’s will only support up to 2TB size for FAT32 formatted drives. The actual limitation is 16TB. If you use the built-in Windows formatting tools you’ll be limited to 32GB but there are ways around it. Macs have no problem formatting partitions larger than 32GB using Disk Utility. Check this article for more info: How to Format a Large Hard Drive With FAT or FAT32

This thread has info on formatting a drive with two partitions for both TeslaCam and music files: [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

My post in that thread has instructions on how to format the drive on a Mac: [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

Obviously if you don’t care about having a music partition just do a single partition on your drive for the TeslaCam recordings.

Last edited:
Haven't receiving any update notifications on my app. The car is usually parked in an underground garage without wifi but the app should still get the notification if something was pushed out, right?

Get thee to a WiFi hotspot!

You won't get full map updates or software updates on cellular, unless perhaps it's a critical update and your car is out-of-date. You're not informed with a notification until AFTER the whole update was downloaded and is ready for you to install, so you just need to occasionally park where you can get WiFi.

It doesn't have to be overnight, though. I've gotten a surprise update 15 minutes after pulling up at my mom's house, which has WiFi.

You have to be a member of TeslaFi to see the location information on each car getting the update..

The last ten are visible to anyone:

upload_2019-2-24_23-57-4.png

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Reactions: Deraillor
The last ten are visible to anyone:

The full list was needed to accomplish what I was looking for.

To get the full list you have to be a member. I am a member so I was able to see the where each one was from that got updated. You find some surprising things like there is a Tesla Model 3 in Greenland.

I didn't even realize there was a Model 3 in Greenland let alone it being on Teslafi.

This is amazing......I got a disagree based on saying "I wonder where my update is..."

Some people are amazing.
In all seriousness though, at a time where 95% of owners don't have this update yet, it adds a lot of unnecessary noise to update threads for the vast majority of owners who don't have the update to mention they don't have the update.

Some of us want to monitor these threads as a source for early-warning against awful bugs that tend to be present in initial rollouts of new features from Tesla, so we can make an informed decision whether or not to install them. Having that filled with clutter talking about how to get an update is about as productive as having a lottery club and 99.999999% of people chiming in "I wonder where my Mega Millions Jackpot is"

(And FWIW looks like this update has a USB thumb drive corruption regression. Oh well, that's nowhere near as bad as that AP2.5 update last year rolled out on a Friday that disabled Autopilot for early adopters until middle of the following week)

In all seriousness though, at a time where 95% of owners don't have this update yet, it adds a lot of unnecessary noise to update threads for the vast majority of owners who don't have the update to mention they don't have the update.

Some of us want to monitor these threads as a source for early-warning against awful bugs that tend to be present in initial rollouts of new features from Tesla, so we can make an informed decision whether or not to install them. Having that filled with clutter talking about how to get an update is about as productive as having a lottery club and 99.999999% of people chiming in "I wonder where my Mega Millions Jackpot is"

(And FWIW looks like this update has a USB thumb drive corruption regression. Oh well, that's nowhere near as bad as that AP2.5 update last year rolled out on a Friday that disabled Autopilot for early adopters until middle of the following week)

Unnecessary noise?

This thread is 16 pages long with 95% of people not having the update.

and "I'm" providing unnecessary noise?

Received the update yesterday afternoon, sadly the memory corruption bug seems to be back. Had to repair my usb stick twice already, hopefully they get a fix for this soon.

IMO - corruption issues is because your drive is too slow or of low quality (I consider Sandisk lower quality). Tesla may have fixed it in later versions of v9, but with the addition of the two side cameras also writing onto your drive, your drive probably cant keep up and thus corrupting. I received 5.4 yesterday afternoon and have driven about an hour and have kept sentry mode on without any corruption issues.

I (and others) have not had any issues with corruption since v9 first rolled out with teslacam. I use a Samsung Endurance Pro 128gb microSD with microusb to usb adapter. Other people utilizing SSDs or other samsung devices seem to have no issues as well. I read about corruption issues with cheap drives and a lot of sandisk drives (especially the iXpand lightning cable combo and the sandisk drive with the built in wifi).

If you are utilizing TeslaCam or Sentry mode - dont cheap out on the storage. What happens when you were hoping to capture an event only to find out that your drive was corrupted? IMO - those drives with the gimmicky features (wifi or lightning cable built into the drive) is not necessary. You should only really be pulling videos when you need to. Spending the extra minute to turning off teslacam, unplugging the drive, and plugging it into a computer does not take much time

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GWord
IMO - corruption issues is because your drive is too slow or of low quality (I consider Sandisk lower quality). Tesla may have fixed it in later versions of v9, but with the addition of the two side cameras also writing onto your drive, your drive probably cant keep up and thus corrupting. I received 5.4 yesterday afternoon and have driven about an hour and have kept sentry mode on without any corruption issues.

I (and others) have not had any issues with corruption since v9 first rolled out with teslacam. I use a Samsung Endurance Pro 128gb microSD with microusb to usb adapter. Other people utilizing SSDs or other samsung devices seem to have no issues as well. I read about corruption issues with cheap drives and a lot of sandisk drives.

Ok clearly I’m an idiot and don’t work with SD cards and thumb drives enough. How does the Samsung SD card plug into a usb drive of any kind? What does that even look like? Do you have a link to the adapter you use? I was able to find the Micro sd card with adapter to normal as card size no problem but I don’t understand how that plugs into the car or even into a usb drive. I’ve never seen that before.

• Funny
Reactions: Bill Price
Ok clearly I’m an idiot and don’t work with SD cards and thumb drives enough. How does the Samsung SD card plug into a usb drive of any kind? What does that even look like? Do you have a link to the adapter you use? I was able to find the Micro sd card with adapter to normal as card size no problem but I don’t understand how that plugs into the car or even into a usb drive. I’ve never seen that before.
you can use an adapter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Reader-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B006T9B6R2

I have one with USB c and regular USB A - so I can plug it into my Android phone and read files, if necessary. The one I own they no longer sell, but there are others like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Additional-Standard-Connector-Included/dp/B06XY3B3DQ/

Last edited:
The full list was needed to accomplish what I was looking for.

To get the full list you have to be a member. I am a member so I was able to see the where each one was from that got updated. You find some surprising things like there is a Tesla Model 3 in Greenland.

I didn't even realize there was a Model 3 in Greenland let alone it being on Teslafi.

I was looking at the app (not a Tesla-fi user) at the moment when Greenland was still listed in the partial list. I also thought "wow" how cool is that. Made me wonder how they got their car -- assume shipped over from Canada?

Just checked our forum and not seeing any Community forum area to include Greenland and a search didn't locate anyone posting from there. Would be cool if the owner joined TMC and gave us his impressions of driving the car and photos of it from there.

Last edited: