Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, does anyone get notifications of pending software updates on their phones? I haven't gotten any. I have a Samsung S9 with Android 8.0.0 and Tesla app 3.5.0. Went from FW 28.3 -> 34.1 with no notification. This morning the car said there is an update (36.2, I assume) available when I got in. Again, no notification. I have notifications turned on (including Software Update), and I get other notifications (like Charging Complete).

Yeah, I have 3 cars and with the latest app update it seems to have broken the notifications. I don't get them reliably anymore. I have a notification for when charging starts every night, and lately I only get 1/3 of the notifications.

And I don't get software update notifications reliably anymore either.

Android Pixel 2 XL

Last edited:
Has anyone with AWD got an update yet? I'm trying to figure out why I haven't got one yet. I have had the car a week and the first day the update failed and it hasn't tried since. I called and got the service centre to clear my "error" or however it works. I drove to the service centre today and tried to connect to the wifi hoping that would help but its still not trying again. I'm on 2018.24.12.

Anything else I can try?

Has anyone with AWD got an update yet? I'm trying to figure out why I haven't got one yet. I have had the car a week and the first day the update failed and it hasn't tried since. I called and got the service centre to clear my "error" or however it works. I drove to the service centre today and tried to connect to the wifi hoping that would help but its still not trying again. I'm on 2018.24.12.

Anything else I can try?

I'm just south of you in the U.S. — I'm AWD and went from 32.2 to 36.2 today and never got update prompts between those two versions. I assume you have a "Canadian" Model 3, so there might be a slight delay too though not entirely sure.

Anything else I can try?
I have gotten 3 updates since I got my car. It came with 28.5. Not sure if any AWD came with a lower FW version.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX

Anything else I can try?

I wouldn't worry too much. These 'minor' updates don't do a lot of obvious changes (especially if they don't specifically tell you what it accomplished).

If you don't get one, each subsequent update will include anything you missed.

In any case, you can usually request an 'update push' if one tries but fails. I wouldn't sweat it cuz a 'push' is usually only necessary for a major update failure. Missing these minor updates will drive you crazy if you obsess about every one.

Not all updates affect something in your particular build/configuration/car. For example if you have 'performance' upgrade - you may get an update affecting your particular configuration where a 'short range' Tesla may have no use for that upgrade.

There is information on the firmware site which is a place for everyone to record the latest and research previous.

I received the update today and went from 36.1 to 36.2. I had two occurrences that I have not experienced before so I thought I should at least mention them. First, I was in the car pool lane doing about 75 with AP engaged. After rounding a curve I could see that traffic was stopped some distance ahead. As I got closer, I kept expecting the car to start to slow down or stop but it held its speed with no sign that it saw the stopped vehicles ahead. I let it go as long as I dared but then chickened out when I saw I would need to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision. I pressed the brakes hard and brought the car to a stop with only a few feet to spare. I admit I was too chicken to just let it go and see what would happen. Second incident, again in the car pool lane on the 55 FWY going east in stop and go traffic. I was doing about 15 mph and a car jumped into my lane from the right. My car acted like it did not see the car and did not brake. I braked with about a foot between us. I think my car would have hit the vehicle had I not applied the brakes. I haven't experienced this behavior before with prior builds. A third minor incident was on the same roadway and there is a point where it splits and to the left takes you to the 5 north and staying in the right lane keeps you on the 55 going east. It tried to exit to the left rather than following the roadway to the right. I had to take control of the wheel to put it on the right path. I did let it go a little way to see whether it would self correct and it didn't. One nice thing when I forced the wheel to follow the path I wanted it didn't release as suddenly as it has in the past which causes a momentary oversteer.

Updated this am.noticed on the map, the supercharger availability is gone.

Really? I haven’t updated yet, but that would be too bad if they removed this feature. I know it was rarely accurate but could at least give you a general sense of what supercharger stations had slots or not.

Hmmm I’m still on 34.1 and just looked and the supercharger availability appears to be gone from my maps too

• Informative
Reactions: tivoboy
Really? I haven’t updated yet, but that would be too bad if they removed this feature. I know it was rarely accurate but could at least give you a general sense of what supercharger stations had slots or not.

Hmmm I’m still on 34.1 and just looked and the supercharger availability appears to be gone from my maps too

In the S forum: Yes I am very annoyed by its removal. Random luck now at superchargers. Useful for all, but especially roadtrippers. A couple bad charges and you can lose a couple hundred miles in a day.

Example. Ft. Wane Indiana showed 3/4 full on way back from CA for a couple hours. Super strange at the early 4 am time frame. I was watching it. Called Tesla. They checked the stalls. Was at reduced power from utility. Could charge, but would triple my charge time. Went to next planned charger and added extra 10% to leapfrog it. That ability to watch is gone now.

Maybe people were sitting at home, watching the local supercharger to see when it was getting empty to go charge. Hope that was not the rationale.

Supercharger Stall Availability

Hey, does anyone get notifications of pending software updates on their phones? I haven't gotten any. I have a Samsung S9 with Android 8.0.0 and Tesla app 3.5.0. Went from FW 28.3 -> 34.1 with no notification. This morning the car said there is an update (36.2, I assume) available when I got in. Again, no notification. I have notifications turned on (including Software Update), and I get other notifications (like Charging Complete).
I did get 36.2 last night. About 5 minutes after I told the car to update, I got a notification on my phone that an update was available. I also got update complete when it finished.

Updated to 2018.36.2 last night, coming from 32.2 (says minor improvements/bug fixes) drove it this AM to work (15 min), things that I love/notice:
1. Autopilot nag "Apply light force to steering wheel" now responds to interactions with the wheel, like scrolling up/down to change volume or change AP speed/follow distance!
2. Fixed a graphic issue where when pressing brakes the driver's/passenger's taillights don't light up at the same time or with the same intensity, now both light up together and look the same.
3. More aggressive AP acceleration from a red light, no longer leaving 5 car lengths behind the car in front.
4. According to another post, Slacker premium playlists are now working again
5. According to another post, summon connects and works more reliably now

Few small things I noticed tho not sure when this got implemented because I went to 34.1 to 36.2.
1. There’s a pedal icon
2. random pop-up notification while driving on the highway.
3. The temporary missing supercharger information is probably Because Tesla was updating the pricing.

BDD6A72C-F646-43B1-BC2E-17E222C62D39.jpeg
722EB25C-41DD-4C43-AA1A-803824CAE6F1.jpeg