Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere that Full Self driving was going to have a feature with this update. Then read somewhere else, the added cameras are for people who paid for full self driving. Is any of this true? 36.2 is really bad at reading blind spots for lane changes, I was really hoping the added cameras would fix that but if they are only for Full Self Driving buyers I won't be getting that.

I read somewhere that Full Self driving was going to have a feature with this update. Then read somewhere else, the added cameras are for people who paid for full self driving. Is any of this true? 36.2 is really bad at reading blind spots for lane changes, I was really hoping the added cameras would fix that but if they are only for Full Self Driving buyers I won't be getting that.

No and No. The first FSD feature won't be available until sometime next year and will require an upgrade to the AP3 hardware. (At least that is what we have been told so far.)

Everyone with the FSD hardware will get the blind spot monitoring feature in V9. (So all AP2, and newer, vehicles.)

Looks like Tesla really wants to first update the more expensive cars, i.e., Model S, Model X, and Model 3 Performance.

I never understood the logic. it's just a software push on a rolling schedule, there should be no difference in cost etc. fwiw they could do that overnight for all cars, servers permitting. The only reason they do a pretty sparse roll i think is just like with power walls, i.e., so that if there's an issue, then it can be stopped and only a handful of updates require rollback, instead of breaking all the cars at once. (there are not nearly as many powerwalls as cars yet updates seem to roll week after week after week there).

From that point of view, the cars that get it sooner are just final validation cars, there's an argument to be made for a diversity here (better chance of early bug detection), and also i see little reason to piss one specific group vs. another from marketing perspective as well in case something goes awry.

Ours has 48.15 but it claimed to have a Software Update waiting. When I tried to update it manually it said the update failed.

Stupid question time: Where is the WiFi setting for the 3? It's obvious in the other cars but I can't find it at all on the Model 3.
Along the top of the display tap the LTE icon. It should open the setup for WiFi. Once setup, it will show the symbol for wifi instead of LTE bars.

Let's see the energy tab and what information is that providing?

IMG_20181009_124832.jpg

IMG_20181009_124251.jpg

IMG_20181009_124341.jpg

Is your car a 2017, 2018? Just trying to justify who, when where!

2018 performance, picked up July 25 from Costa Mesa

I never understood the logic. it's just a software push on a rolling schedule, there should be no difference in cost etc. fwiw they could do that overnight for all cars, servers permitting. The only reason they do a pretty sparse roll i think is just like with power walls, i.e., so that if there's an issue, then it can be stopped and only a handful of updates require rollback, instead of breaking all the cars at once. (there are not nearly as many powerwalls as cars yet updates seem to roll week after week after week there).

From that point of view, the cars that get it sooner are just final validation cars, there's an argument to be made for a diversity here (better chance of early bug detection), and also i see little reason to piss one specific group vs. another from marketing perspective as well in case something goes awry.
It does cost them to use the LTE for the downloads, not so (or little) with the Wifi. The main reason they don't push it to all cars at once is the load on their Support line. With close to 500k cars in the fleet, if 1% had trouble that would overwhelm the support team and call in lines. Rolling it out also allows them to discover problems and correct it before it goes out to everyone. It's not uncommon for the major releases to have 3 or 4 versions sent out before it's all done. When it is a small patch, especially something to do with Safety they have sent those out to all cars the same day.

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
I have the Performance but no update yet (although I've been at work all day, I'll check in this evening).
It may take a while for the 3's. According to the EV Tracker site about 360 of those using that site have reported v9 in model S & X, however only twelve model 3's have reported it. If you haven't signed up to the ev tracker, please do everyone. It really helps understand these rollouts if more people use it. www.ev-fw.com.

It does cost them to use the LTE for the downloads, not so (or little) with the Wifi. The main reason they don't push it to all cars at once is the load on their Support line. With close to 500k cars in the fleet, if 1% had trouble that would overwhelm the support team and call in lines. Rolling it out also allows them to discover problems and correct it before it goes out to everyone. It's not uncommon for the major releases to have 3 or 4 versions sent out before it's all done. When it is a small patch, especially something to do with Safety they have sent those out to all cars the same day.

That's what i said. Being on wifi doesn't help with delays (in my case, i am on wifi most of the day and all night), i mean they could push it over network for those connected overnight, wouldn't make much difference in cost. (just like to PWs). LTE is another matter of course.

What i didn't understand as it was said in the quote, why would they target X, S and performance first, as opposed to diversified roll.