Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Version 2018.26.x has lock confirmation sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this horn sound is a quick "chirp" and not a heavy handed horn blast like all those minivans in the parking lot that love scaring the hell out of people walking by!

I agree. Personally, I think ANY use of the horn for confirmation is anti-social. Horns are obnoxious, and we do not need any more horn blasts in parking lots, etc. In parking garages, the horn is extremely unpleasant. A flash of the lights is sufficient, which is what my Model S does now and is all anyone should need, IMHO.

I surely hope this "feature" does not become common. Teslas are known as quiet cars. Let's not start adding unnecessarily to the cacophony of daily life....

I agree. Personally, I think ANY use of the horn for confirmation is anti-social. Horns are obnoxious, and we do not need any more horn blasts in parking lots, etc. In parking garages, the horn is extremely unpleasant. A flash of the lights is sufficient, which is what my Model S does now and is all anyone should need, IMHO.

I surely hope this "feature" does not become common. Teslas are known as quiet cars. Let's not start adding unnecessarily to the cacophony of daily life....
Like everything else on a Tesla you can turn it off if you don't want to use it. I'm perfectly fine with a honk. As a side note, the car already does flash when it locks.

Reactions: davedavedave
To be honest I barely hear the lock confirmation horn half the time its such a muted honk that you wont hear it unless you're really listening for it. Wouldn't see why anyone would consider is obnoxious since your footsteps walking away from the car is probably louder than the lock honk.
I have not heard a honk from any Tesla. What I was referring to was the honks I hear from most other cars, many of which are loud and startling to the unsuspecting passer-by who happens to be walking near such a car in a parking lot or garage.

Just got the 2018.26.1 62e5afa update. Lock noise is...interesting. Would have been nice when I first got the car and checked 10 times over if the car actually locked when I walked away. Now, I'm confident in the auto-lock when I walk away. The horn noise is subtle, though, not sure if I will keep it on. Hope to see any other undocumented changes to EAP and summon. I back out of a tight garage and the random wheel turns when backing up with summon is supposedly fixed and will be most welcomed.

I noticed my dashcam no longer works plugged into the front USB ports. The last timestamp I have is right before the update. It works connected to a USB battery pack so I know it's not broken. Seems like the USB ports don't supply as much power as previous software versions. Can somebody measure?

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10
That's the version I got. Seems like this update is rolling out to the masses. I'm happy with the lock confirmation sound. Just enough for me to know it's locked, and not enough to be annoying.

Is it the horn horn or is it some kind of other chirping sound? If I disable the auto folding mirrors the car makes a ding sound buts its pretty soft.

I just got my car back from service and it said an update was ready, I updated but it shows the current version is 2018.24.8. Kinda weird, its almost like it installed the same version that was on there already.

Is it the horn horn or is it some kind of other chirping sound? If I disable the auto folding mirrors the car makes a ding sound buts its pretty soft.

I just got my car back from service and it said an update was ready, I updated but it shows the current version is 2018.24.8. Kinda weird, its almost like it installed the same version that was on there already.
I would say it's a soft honk.

Reactions: Ulmo
That's the version[2018.26.1 62e5afa] I got. Seems like this update is rolling out to the masses.

Maybe not.

I was in the area yesterday, so stopped in at the SC as I've not received any updates since they worked on my 3 in early June. They said it would come over WiFi - I told them mine was still a cellular only build, so they staged an update for me to apply once I got home.

I now have 2018.24.8 25f83c2 so no honk on lock, but I'm now connected to my home WiFi and have some other new features like Summon.

Maybe not.

I was in the area yesterday, so stopped in at the SC as I've not received any updates since they worked on my 3 in early June. They said it would come over WiFi - I told them mine was still a cellular only build, so they staged an update for me to apply once I got home.

I now have 2018.24.8 25f83c2 so no honk on lock, but I'm now connected to my home WiFi and have some other new features like Summon.
This tells me that 26.x is still in limited release batches and if your VIN isn't flagged for it, you get the previous GA release even if your car is pushed for an update.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare

Really? If you don't like it, turn it off ...nobody is forcing you to keep it on! :rolleyes: When did you become the noise sheriff?

Maybe not.

What is a cellular only build? I have both ...